Graffiti Typography

Manifesto

another one.

let me know if its repost.

"Fi5e"

"I've been working on a graf analysis project. I've only done two versions so far, but the basic idea is I'll walk around a given area (in this case Harlem and the L.E.S.) and shoot photos of every tag I come across. Next I go through the images and isolate certain characters and reproduce them together in similar scales at close proximity. The intent is to show the diversity of styles as expressed in a single character."

ganal1.jpg

ganal5.jpg

ganal4.jpg

ganal6.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think this is a really cool idea like you said it shows diversity in styles of graffiti. By wheat pasting them up for the public to see it shows the non graff writer how you can take such a simple thing as one letter and turn it into art work by thinking out of the box or in between the lines..

Keep It up I would like to see all the letters..

Also do you have any bigger pictures?

Okay, 1 - Manifesto isn't the one doing this project, Fi5e is.

2 - The point of this project is to show the variations that letters in the english language can take on, specifically in real world graffiti.

3 - If you weren't retarded you'd realize that in each letter frame, the original tag is reproduced

This isn't biting you ignorant fucks, this is analysis - LIKE IT SAYS.

in order for this to work, the original tags should at least be good, and judging from some of those letters, the "typography" is busted.

taking a letter from a tag

is like taking a word from a book.

out of it's context, it's just "concept art"

i don't care for it.

**oh yeah, the "reproductions" of the original tags are so small they might as well not even be there.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

have a look at this book by ryan mcguinness. he did something similar to this a few years back, although a bit more in depth (minus the wheatpasting).

i definitely have to agree with symbols though, the originals should be of a quality specimen rather than not-so-hot-shit. a good range of quality would be acceptable, but poor samples are holding you down…

but good for you for being motivated.

my first reaction, was that the samples or the reproduction skills were lacking opun furhter reflection i think that using what you see with in a given area requires you represent the good and bad. And lets face it the vast majority of writers have questionable hand skills since the tag as a graffiti object has been abonadonded in large part for the glory of the burner.

Its like taking flicks of only the hot girls on the beach and saying that the beach is representative of the images. but when i get to the beach and see it filled with stroblight honeys i can see your bias.

I do agree the tags them selves should be bigger. however too much bigger it will take away from the individual characters.