Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

GRAFFITI TRAPS?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by misteraven, Feb 19, 2003.

1. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Yeah, I know this should probably be in Third Rail, but I'm more interested in the bigger picture of it and not just how it pertains to graffiti...

http://news.findlaw.com/science/s/20030214...graffitidc.html

-------------------------------------------------

Graffiti Space Trap Tested in Calif. Cities

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Psssst, wanna catch a tagger?

Satellites and super-sensitive sensors are now tuned to the sibilant hiss of spray cans in a space-age effort to eradicate one of the oldest and most persistent urban problems -- graffiti.

TaggerTrap, a graffiti eradication system being tested in several California cities, uses global positioning system technology, cell phones and sensors that recognize the ultrasonic pitch of spray cans to alert police when vandals begin their work, representatives said on Thursday.

"The tagger, when he pushes down on that spray can, he's calling police," said George Lerg, co-founder of TrapTec, the Escondido, California-based company that developed TaggerTrap.

The unique, ultrasonic tone emitted by aerosol paint cans trips the sensors, which signal a transmitter linked to a police cell phone or radio. The global positioning system pinpoints the location of the transmitter, Lerg said.

The portable sensors have a range of 100 feet in any direction.

The first time TaggerTrap was tested in the San Diego suburb of Chula Vista, police arrived in time to nab a six-person graffiti "crew" in the act.

The system quickly drew the interest of three nearby Southern California cities, which plan to test it themselves.

"Just from the test I have seen and word from Chula Vista it has worked wonderfully," said Officer Judy Ronnebeck of the Escondido Police, adding that the $2,000 price tag for each unit seems a small price to pay for space surveillance.

"Our city spent over $150,000 last year cleaning graffiti," she said. "The more money it costs to clean it up, the more people realize we have to make these taggers responsible for their actions."

Lerg said TaggerTrap and the company's other products -- systems that warn police of gunfire and trucking dispatchers of leaking tires -- have caught the attention of the U.S. Department of Defense, which has drafted the technology for other national security applications.

"The government is extremely concerned about biotoxins inside aerosol cans that can be put into air-conditioning ducts of a subway system or a large building," he said. "If somebody is using an aerosol can where they shouldn't be, we can notify authorities.

The city of San Diego, which spends about $1.5 million on graffiti cleanup each year, has also tested the system, said Sonya Ollison, in charge of the city's graffiti removal.

The latest estimate is that graffiti causes $8 billion in damages across the nation per year, Ollison said.

2. John Gotti

John Gotti New Jack

shut up with that shit

3. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

there were already a couple threads on this. one here and one in third rail i think. but you know what i say, the more the merrier!!:)

4. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

i mean i know biometrics is a big emerging field since. 9-11 and all.

And all the terrorists ( the them terrorists as opposed to the us (U.S.) terrorists).
    but honestly.. do we have money for the kind of infrastructure to suppor this? i dont think so.. video surveillance is 90% assumption that someone is watching.. specifically on live feed. we have so many damn cameras.. but not that many people watching them..
    alot of biometric research is focused on anazlying raw video data collected.. but the infrastructure to achieve.. som coheasive network.. based on this crap is far from happening.. no matter what anyone says.. shit.. look how dated our telecommunications is.

moores law is about to run its cycle..

now i must find the white rabbit and get the hell out of the matrix.

5. John Gotti

John Gotti New Jack

6. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

jeeze Raven... didn't you do a search ?? ;)

(only only joking becasue I posted it in 3rdRail and got no replies, then it showed up in here and got popular)

I learned my lesson.

7. coolcon2

coolcon2 New Jack

the cops would surround the roof,and i would just keep some off in my bag,hide the cans and say i was camping out,tresspassing charge,at worst

8. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

so where are our enginerds with a jamming or pitch masking solution?

9. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

so if i take a particularly violent shit, then try to cover it up with lysol, am i gonna get my door broken down by cops?

why do i get the feeling we're not so far off from the prophet vision of 'demolition man'?

10. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

fight fire with fire.

I hear ya on the demolition man front. Orwell to boot.

11. B_As_In_Bot

B_As_In_Bot Elite Member

Dumbasses worried about the public eyespace..

well - if we were a little more European about it and didnt bother painting over graffiti...

Busting taggers is the biggest waste of time..

12. urban ghost

urban ghost Member

this is dumb...it would only be worthwhile for them to put them in places that are regularly frequented by "taggers", which would probally be a chill spot, which is not the real problem in the minds of the cities, who are more fed up with the destructive graffitti that the public actually sees....whatever....i live in richmond, virginia...so i dont have to worry about my city buying sensors...at least for a few more years....

13. Vlad

Vlad Senior Member

just go around the sensors with deo sprays

psst psst

14. fr8lover

fr8lover Elite Member

you guys ever wonder if this whole thing is just a big lie to scare writers?

15. spec

spec Guest

i think so, spray cans could be being used anywhere for legit as well as illegal purposes, will they check on the legal users too? or what about aerosols aside form paint? whole thing sounds pretty phoney :eek: