Graffiti to be made legal in Melbourne Australia??

Abracadabra

New lines drawn in graffiti war

Herald-Sun, March 4 2005

Young graffiti vandals would be paired with experienced mentors to teach them better techniques under a city council plan.

Proposed rules would also see graffiti allowed to flourish in special "high-tolerance zones" dotted throughout the city, but banned from other designated areas.

The ideas are among 19 contained in a draft graffiti strategy prepared on behalf of Melbourne City Council for public discussion.

In other suggestions to tackle Melbourne's graffiti problem, the council would:

DISPLAY "no tolerance signs in busy pedestrian areas of the CBD and other tourist strips, with all graffiti removed within 72 hours.

PROVIDE incentives, possibly ratepayer-funded cash prizes, for vandals to improve the quality of their work.

OFFER paint vouchers and removal kits to property owners or managers to clean off graffiti.

SET up special hoardings for vandals to mark, which would cost less to replace than chemical cleaning or repainting.

INTRODUCE cosed setting out rules for graffiti vandals and property owners.

PHOTOGRAPH the work of repeat offenders and supply the images to police.

The draft strategy says directing graffiti writers into high-tolerance zones will lift the quality of works and help wipe out ugly tagging or signature graffiti, such as that used by gangs.

A mentor system linking experienced graffiti writers with younger taggers to improve their technique would also help, the strategy said.

It suggests "providing incentives for writers to improve the quality of their work and celpebrating their success with them".

The strategy notes owners in high-tolerance zones would retain the right to remove the graffiti. Those in low-tolerance zones would be contacted by council as soon as graffiti appeared, and asked to remove it.

Deputy Lord Mayor Gary Singer said the strategy recognised graffiti writers contributed to the diversity and social fabric of the city.

The strategy was a draft only and property owners, businesses, residents, police and graffiti writers would be invited to comment, he said.

Authors drew on the experience of Victorian, interstate and international councils.

Residents Against Graffiti Everywhere lobby group spokesman Steve Beardon said many of the ideas had been tried and failed.

The draft strategy will be released for public consultation at Tuesday's meeting of the council's community and culture committee.

A final version is expected to go before the council in August. Once adopted, the council will evaluate its success.

Netlink http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Weapon X@Mar 4 2005, 10:06 AM

I know you ain't gonna have nothing to do with this, man. Sounds like a set up and a half.

you're damn straight, i won't go anywhere near their little 'initiative' no matter what they're offering.

what they don't realise is that the only people that participate in these types of things are legal bunnies that never did illegal graf in the first place, so they're not fixing shit.

an article from another melbourne newspaper, the age:

The writing's on the wall for graffiti zone

By Martin Boulton

March 4, 2005

04STREET_ART_wideweb__430x240.jpg

Graffiti in Centre Place, between Flinders Lane and Collins Street. Could this become a no-go zone for graffiti?

A growth in stencil art and "tags" on walls, signs and bridges across Melbourne has led to a review of how graffiti is managed - including ways of encouraging graffiti writers to ply their craft where it's more likely to be tolerated.

Melbourne City Council spends $200,000 a year cleaning graffiti from property it owns or manages, including roads, footpaths, street furniture, artworks, bridges and buildings. It also has the power to remove offensive images or messages from private property.

A new strategy on how to better manage graffiti was prepared for the council by Melbourne university associate professor Alison Young, from the criminology department. Her research here and interstate found that "graffiti writers as a group are able to contribute... to the social fabric of the city".

That view has been supported by the vice-president of Free Speech Victoria, Brian Walters, who said that in times of political repression, graffiti has been an outlet for people.

"There can be a place for graffiti... but if it's self-indulgent vandalism then I don't support it," he said. Chairman of the council's community and culture committee, Davis Wilson, said no-tolerance zones in retail precincts and major shopping strips was a key part of the strategy.

"Graffiti would be removed quickly from these high-profile areas to ensure the city maintains its image as clean, safe and welcoming," Cr Wilson said.

"Other areas with a more 'underground feel' could be designated as areas of higher tolerance, where building owners would decide whether or not to remove graffiti." He said another proposal was to allow graffiti writers to display detailed pieces of their work at sanctioned locations, away from high-profile pedestrian thoroughfares.

The council is expected to release the draft strategy next week.

source

"PROVIDE incentives, possibly ratepayer-funded cash prizes, for vandals to improve the quality of their work"

really don't see that happening at all.

Cash prizes? Most old biddies would have a heart attack to think their rates paid for something like that. :shook:

still if it worked it could be cool

wouldn't buy this...

after the officials get tired of seeing graffiti just about everywhere except where it's supposed to be, they'll just arrest all those nice writers who were paid for the nice graffiti and were dumb enough to give out their personal info in order to receive that cash and publicity... even if they didnt bill you right away for the "legal" shit you were allowed to do, I still wouldn't feel like bombing the same tag if they knew my name and address.

shit. you guys should just be lucky that you have a government who atleast understands the concept of graffiti and doesn't treat it like a terrorist activity. obviously they'll never be able to stop it, but aknowledging that graffitti adds to the asthetic of society is pretty fucking cool.

the funny thing is that being understanding like that almost takes the wind out of the need to destroy shit...it's like when you're parents allow you to rebel, so you wind up just being normal, cause theres no incentive to piss them off.

that's an interesting take on it seeks, never thought of it like that.

the thing about it is, their little "high tolerance zones" are still technically going to be illegal, it's just that some of the property owners in these areas aren't as anal with the buff as some other areas.

so basically they're going to buff certain areas at no charge to the property owners, but for other areas (and the owners of the lend therein) it's "stiff shit", which makes me think this little scheme will get knocked on the head cos if one kid gets a lollypop, you sure as hell better give the rest of em one.

Hmmm, makes me wonder far into the future how it's going to be. I mean, someday, there will only be the generations left which grew up with graffiti. Of course there will be those within that group of generations who are against it, but it's not going to be like having to battle the old-time fogeys who see absolutely no merit in graf at all - it's probably not going to be such an uphill battle. That being said, where would that take us? Because yeah, it'd be cool to have full reign over a city, yet most of the fun is in the sneakiness and illegitimacy of it all. I dunno, just the late night ramblings of a deliriously tired woman..

we (or atleast most of us) live in a country that just voted a religious zealot into office, 'we're' not about to start viewing graff as a common everyday occurance. the vast majority of our generation still thinks it's fucking retarded (i agree), destructive (i agree), useless (i agree), and should be kept illegal (i agree). most even probably believe it should have harsher penalties than it does now.

ABC,

in the states, many cities have 'zero tolerance' laws regarding graff stating that business owners have to remove it within 72 hours of it appearing or they get a ticket. it's not 'fair', but then again, this is america...nothing is fair.

Originally posted by Full Spectrum@Mar 7 2005, 10:53 PM

Hmmm, makes me wonder far into the future how it's going to be. I mean, someday, there will only be the generations left which grew up with graffiti. Of course there will be those within that group of generations who are against it, but it's not going to be like having to battle the old-time fogeys who see absolutely no merit in graf at all - it's probably not going to be such an uphill battle. That being said, where would that take us? Because yeah, it'd be cool to have full reign over a city, yet most of the fun is in the sneakiness and illegitimacy of it all. I dunno, just the late night ramblings of a deliriously tired woman..

skateboarding has been around for decades, but it's still frowned upon (probably worse these days than it ever was). if it didn't change for skating (something that is actually "legal") then it's not going to change for graffiti

Yeah, I see your points. There's valid reason to consider it may never change. Who knows, though? Each new generation brings with it a pushing of boundaries. You could once get executed for believing the world was flat. A radio show got axed in the 60's for using the word "bum". A skirt 10cms above the knee was outrageous as recently as the 60's, and nobody imagined abortion could ever be legal way way back.

All I'm contemplating is, who knows? But really, for now, who cares!!! Let's get on with it in the present and do what we love for the love of it.

Peace

legal graffiti zones? it would be a surrealistic nightmare of colors and skill. The weak would be forced to get better or just get gone over. Everything would be all beutiful and topsy tervy and would make amazing pictures of areas that are graffiti filled. But then what is graffiti? the only REAL graffiti would be in the illegal areas- i think in the end isnt that what makes graffiti so great? Sombody went and painted somthing that wasnt supposed to be there, how glorious!

Sounds like a lot of bleeding heart Liberal fucks got together

with some cash strapped city council officials and had a brainstorming session.

Whats more Liberal than unrestrained vanalism?

Well maybe a unrestrained murdering spree!

Its a fuck'n joke.

once upon a time like 6 years ago there was a place in new york city i for go the name but they had a huge abandonded whare house that they turned into a place for people to do legal graff and the peices stayed runing for a minute then they were allowed to be gone over eventually i dont know how big of a sucess it was as i onl heard about it this one time in a magazine. it was actually that source mag for rap music and that shit... any one ever hear of what i am talking about?

Originally posted by seeking@Mar 8 2005, 10:49 AM

you have a signature asking people to trade 'stickers' with you and you're criticising an entire countries graff scene?

you're kidding right?

Hey, your entiled to your comments and im entitled to mine, stickers and australia have nothing to do with each other. and i can put anything i want in my signature, to put my email in my signature is a good way to get feedback if anyone wants to trade. good night mister connery.

see, i didnt bother trying to make sense of his logic, but instead chose to rely on the theory that anyone who openly requests people trade stickers with him, is probably a total toy, and in no position to be judging an entire countries graff in the first place. the fact that he hails from SF, which has an established scene and a heirachy of writers (who would frown on such an action) lead further credence to that theory.

basically, i'm like fucking columbo an shit.

of course, that's just my opinion.

;)