graffiti school

Guest INDEPENDENZA

Guest INDEPENDENZA

the city recently put out an advertising through a local graffiti website, offering jobs to graffiti writers only. One job consists of managing and dealing with 3 legal walls, the other is organising legal murals throughout the city, and the last job is giving graffiti classes to kids. They will examine each submission, and there will be an interview with 2 city officials and an ex-writer.

do you think graffiti is something to be taught at school? they want you to teach how to paint a nice piece.

In my opinion its strange that the city tries to encourage kids to graff, so that when they grow up, theyre good at bombing, because some of those kids will probably be corrupted.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There was someone who wanted me to talk about graffiti at a seminar for this middle school where I live.The dude got my phone number from someone who knew me and called me out of the blue.He called back a few days later and I told him he must have got the wrong number-I wouldn't want to do that(explaining graffiti)..that is up to the person themselves if they get sparked to do it.Not to mention,the whole episode was just too weird.It sketched me out.......and I have yet to find out who "the person" is who knew me.

yeah..there was a program in d.c. that taught graf to inner city elemetary school kids...who knows why they thought that was a good idea..but it happens..

the program was hip hop oriented..not specific to graf.,.

maybe the city realizes they aren't winnind the war on graf, so at least they could have some nice graf taught to kids so that when they paint, it is something constructive, and positive....or they don't feel like spending money on artists to beautify, so they get graf writers to do it for free?

who knows..

anyway, if there are no entrapment laws protecting you, i'd think twice before sitting down with city officials...

Guest INDEPENDENZA
Originally posted by *SIZEROKS*

SOUNDS VERRY FISHY, I BELIEVE THAT GRAFF IS SOMETHING YOU LEARN ON YOUR OWN OR IS PASSED DOWN TO YOU FROM MENTORS OR CREW MEMBERS........I THINK THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF GRAFITTI SCHOOL IS REDICULAS......MY TOWN IS WHERE I LEARNED HOW TO GET DOWN, NOT SOME CLASS ROOM.

Thats what i thought first but its a good way to earn money.

On the other hand it might be a bit selling out but it depends how you would approach this job: if your aim is just to teach aerosol painting techniques its o.k. but if you claim to teach "GRAFFITI", not only is it impossible, but its also extremely pretentious and sell out at the same time.

I would also say that this is an attempt from the city and the mainstream crowd to tame graffiti.

Thats why it would be good if the teacher/writer would go beyond their expectations.

Guest GoBiloe
Originally posted by pantiefreeze

I heard he writes Z-Ski.

Z-Ski was dope before he starting trying to be stylish and "graffiti"... those haggard meanstreaks and streaky dry pilot tags all over somerville and cambridge were tight

quote from are2 "or they don't feel like spending money on artists to beautify, so they get graf writers to do it for free? "

-you should be shot for that comment.never downplay the powers of aerosol ART.

city support

I dont think its all that strange that the city choses to support/reconize Graffiti as an art, My boy in Halifax got some grants to do some multi media type art around the streets.. Halifax supports their graffiti scene.

I dont think they are asking for anything in return...

I think it would be aight if there was some sort of education available on painting... can control and what not... I was at the yard the other night looking at some peices from like 95-98.. comparing the quality from then.. to now... kids have no style now.. no artistic ability what-so-ever...

teaching graffiti in a school sounds sad to me...i think its about learning through practice and older heads, etc. You can't teach the things that are the essence of graff, like drippy tags off a homemade mop, thats the real shit...Also i would hate to see something i love being associated and embraced by schools, school is a terrible place. The day they teach graff in a school is the day i kill myself.

trust no one

with the notorious buff this summer and the recent increase in graffiti complaints to the city, i doubt this legal wall and graffiti education bullshit is something positive for our graffiti scene. If anything, they are trying to infiltrate our culture and bust our asses. Look around you, everything is bombed to hell.. encouraging graffiti writers would be the last thing a decent city council would want to do. I remember in 2000 when there was a 'friendly' debate between city officials and graffiti supporters they had undercovers in the crowd filming everybody's faces. I dont trust the city. Besides.. fuck doing legals, im happy doing visual pollution with my throwups and juicy tags.

Archived