graffiti meets brokeback mountain + shitty

boogie hands

i found this disaster at my local "indie" film store. and you guys were worried about "bomb the system".....

mainimage.jpg

005.jpg

these people are too stupid to realize what a good film is so they just go to festivals instead.....

006.jpg

ok....

037.jpg

flip the goverment! oh man!

"James Bolton ('Eban and Charley') is emerging as a filmmaker of considerable note. As writer, producer and director of THE GRAFFITI ARTIST he is introducing a new realm of American verismo that is beautiful to watch, touching in content, and a creatively conceived film from beginning to end.

Portland, present time. Nick (a young Dutch actor Ruben Bansie-Snellman whose magnetism on the camera recalls the early James Dean) is a teenager who lives the solitary life, committed to his passion of tagging via graffiti art under the tag name 'Rapture'. He keeps journals of his drawings, photographs of his graffiti, and stays alive by shoplifting his tools of spray cans and his vegetarian diet foods. Always on the look out for police who arrest taggers, Nick is a man against the world. He is arrested for his art. Upon release Nick, by happenstance one day, meets a fellow tagger Jesse (Pepper Fajans) with whom he finally speaks (to this point there has been no dialogue from Nick) and follows around, sharing art and tagging. Jesse apparently has some money from his mother and is able to provide Nick with food and shelter. The two travel to Seattle to tag, create some truly beautiful (change beautiful to shitty) grafitti art, and slowly bond to the point that Jesse invites Nick into his bed. What follows is one of the more sensuous yet understated same-sex scenes on film(this guy is a fucking idiot...its a handjob).

By morning Jesse already has conflicts with the evening's tryst: Nick appears serenely satisfied yet anxious about Jesse's response. They continue to tag, creating a new, partnered tag name 'Elusive' (gayer than the handjob). Jesse eventually distances himself from the guarded Nick and leaves to return to Portland. Nick tries to maintain his lifestyle but is now living in the streets and tagging in dangerous places (a fucking wall by the train tracks) that result in run-ins with the law. But primarily because he misses Jesse, the only other person with whom he has bonded, Nick returns to Portland, leaving tag messages signed 'Rapture' wherever he sees Jesse's signature 'Flip'. At last Nick finds Jesse, and learns that Jesse doesn't want to have anything to do with him. Alone again, Nick's return to his solitary life and the way he deals with his dream is the may the story ends.

Though there is almost no dialogue in this film, Director Bolton capitalizes on the magnetism of his actors' body language and especially eye language and the result is simply stunning. Ruben Bansie-Snellman owns the screen and creates a character so heartrendingly simple in his complexity that he pulls us into his strange world of Nick every moment. The music score by Kid Loco and the cinematography by Sarah Levy enhance the dark mood of this piece. THE GRAFFITI ARTIST allows us to see this world as one cruel to those who don't 'fit' and makes a quiet, powerful statement about the lone individual in a landscape foreign in every way except in art. Highly recommended. Grady Harp, July 05"

anyway. im still on the fence as to whether this is funny or just really, really bad.

the upside is i also randomly came across a magic moments video which saved the day by being awesome and really, really well done.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hoooooooooo-lyyyyyyyyyy shit.

One night this shit was on one of the free movie channels, I'm about to go to bed and I'm flipping through shit and I see "The Graffiti Writer", so I start watching this shit and was just in amazement that they actually made this pile of horseshit.

Actually, I started watching halfway through and theres shit of these dudes doing awful tags then next thing I know theyre lying in bed making out and I'm like "UHHHHHHHH. WHAT?".

Perhaps, the only thing more awful than the post-mission makeout session was at the end when the one idiot gets out of jail after 3 months (who gets 3 months in jail for graffiti in Portland?) and does a "FREE ART" freight with his winged can character and walks off into the night while the credits roll.

Gayest movie ever, in every respect.

I love it when people write for like 2 months and think that they know everything about graffiti/graffiti culture. Yea man, lets make a movie explaining the beauty of graffiti when we know shit about it. To be honest I hate this "I do it for the art" "im expressing myself" horseshit. Graffiti is graffiti. It has lots of different meanings to different people, but this angle is pure cheese. Elusive (gayer than the handjob) haha.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

whats 12oz saying about that Quality of Life movie that got a 'special mention' from the berlin international film festival (if that even means a god damn thing) ?

Guest im not witty

theres some other graf movie at blockbuster i saw. i started reading the back but i threw it down in digust when i got to the typo THATS PRINTED ON THE FUCKING BOX it calls the main character a tag banner. i think they were going for banger but i took a giant shit on the case so i cant be sure.