Graffiti isn't ART! its vandalism!

Bamzie PFK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest -MOE LESTER-

why do you kids always have to write about graffiti? write about fluffy bunnies or pedophiles

i would never write about graffiti cause people just don't understand it and thats good. i think some people i could bomb their front door with them watching and they'd stand there wondering what the hell was going on and by the time they realize what happened i'd be gone. oh yeah about the topic. i think if it has tons of style and great colors and a good grasp for what they are doing than it is art, but some toy doin a JNCO tag on his school bus is vandalism.

funny.......

well this is odd because I am writing an article for the local paper on graff so I feel your pain.

Personally I would say that graff at it's heart, and I mean HEART is about creativity. The line blurs into vandalism in only a few aspects. When graff is done on public or private property YES of coarse it's vandalism but in the fact that it takes creativity (even the most busted gang throwie or pen tag took someone to CREATE it) is at its heart .....art. Graff can be looked at as nothing more than man's basic instinct to scratch on a cave wall to tell a story, claim ownership, or to simply be creative.

My thought.

CAPS

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-

why do you kids always have to write about graffiti?

i almost always write about conspiracy theories. teachers thing im odd.

thanx, but im a writer...

sorry bout this thread, but there's no fuckin writin about graf anywhere! no good stuff at least. every1s i hate graf this, and ban graf that...

its fuckin annoying!

:mad:

the only thing "for" graf is the sites. and the only writin' goin on there is the fuckin pieces.

thanx neway...

i would like some more posts.

now thats an idea!:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Guest willy.wonka

its bad enough that you write to get a name up.."cry out to the world"

but its straight gay when you want your class to know that you're a "tagger"

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by BizOne

Vandalism = Illegal destruction of another person's property

95% of graffiti doesn't "destroy" anything. Paint fades.

wrong. Graffiti = illegal defacement of public or private property.

if you write with water soluable ink on a storefront, it's still graffiti.

plus... some surfaces (stone, slate, some concrete) becomes weaker after

getting painted and even more so after getting buffed.

* dont paint on stone *

and then there's scratches and etch....

think of it like this...

Everyone likes a well painted 'mural' production.

Only writters even understand scratches and most tags.

Art is in the eye of the beholder... and I'd say only 10% of graff woud be

called art by the majority of people.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by -MOE LESTER-

write about pedophiles

there are only so many things u can say bout moe

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by sneak

there are only so many things u can say bout moe

im demented, thats all there is to say

a/v

Why do people alway try to seperate vandalism and art wen it comes to graffiti? It's not one or the other it is both... Vandalism can't be art? I will never understand that. Oh well. Carry on.

yea... people in the U.S. don't understand graffiti worth shit...and i think thats a good thing...i read an article in the latest "TOKION" magazine...it mentioned that people in the U.S.(the public) don't understand graffiti...and thats what keeps the scene here fresh...thats what makes graffiti what it is.

Guest 87centHitMan
Originally posted by willy.wonka

its bad enough that you write to get a name up.."cry out to the world"

but its straight gay when you want your class to know that you're a "tagger"

This one kid I knew actually wanted the whole school to know he was a writer and made every attempt to make it known and broadcast it to everyone. That's just lame as fuck. He even had his first and last name with a.k.a. written right next to it. I knew three kids like that, but he was the leader of their 'crew' They just want to impress people and try to feel cool. That's just what you get when confused-ass kids going through an identity crisis decide that they're gonna be a "tagger". Kids like that need some hardcore knowledge dropped on their ass, and I'm not even talking about graff knowledge, either. They need to wake the fuck up and quit bullshitting.

yeah people are ignorant about graffiti for a reason. all writers gotta do their best to keep it as underground as possible. i hear people talkin about graff and their like tag this and tag that, the only word they know is "tag" they have no idea about graff so i would never correct them cause they gotta pass their ignorence on so graff in my area won't blow up. my area is pretty chill cause people that would bitch about it don't even seem to notice it. it's actually sorta funny.

yea this one kid started goin off...asking me about "who did that one tag, over by ___ _____?" i finally figured out what the hell the dumbass was talking about....it wasn't a tag at all...it was a piece i did.

My personal opinion on the matter, is that its both, art and vandalism, but as far as getting any futher into it i think ile leave that alone , once you dissect something its no longer art, its science. just my opinion though.

Guest --zeSto--

if you have any visable tags on your backpack/hats/clothing/shoes etc.

You are asking to get caught.

Everyone likes a well painted 'mural' production.

Only writters even understand scratches and most tags.

Art is in the eye of the beholder... and I'd say only 10% of graff woud be

called art by the majority of people.

WORD!

Guest jeff123456
Originally posted by BizOne

Vandalism = Illegal destruction of another person's property

95% of graffiti doesn't "destroy" anything. Paint fades.

i think 95% of graffiti does destroy something... it fades after like 2 years... but the place where its on has to get it removed and shit...

say for example u just opened a nice restaruant that the average family that goes there spends about $120.00 for there meal... then some kid did a big throwie on front of ur building.. would u just leave it there for a couple years so it would fade? or would u get it removed so it wouldnt make ur restaruant look like a dump?

QUIT WRITING ABOUT GRAFFITI

The more you write about it the more it's understood. When it gets to understood it gets to main stream. And everyone knows when shit gets main stream it sucks. Just imagine back street boys with graffiti pics...that would suck!!!

Guest dot.calm

re: articles

there are art articles written about graffiti all the time...look through back issues of art forum...since it's school, you might as well keep the sources "legitimate" as opposed to High Times...

i don't know how current you want to get or what you want to say, but there are a ton of articles written on this topic in different 'areas' of social science and art history...i'd start by reading essays by silliman about the use of language (text/image) as communication...from then go to foucault...get into derrida and deconstructionism if you want to assert authoritorial voice...once you've gone that route, then maybe see how they inter-relate to your civic legislation, and the language that they use to define the law....i don't know...i don't think asking graf artists what they think is of much value...it's like asking a hockey player for a quote after the game and he spits out what the coach said in the locker room.

an essay on whether graf is good or bad, is like doing an essay on why war is good or bad, or gangs are required or not...it's opinion...if you're going to write something might as well make it interesting...

or if you just want to rip stuff off that's old, read rene ricard about basquiat. or steal shit that greenberg wrote about Dubuffet and change 'art brute' to 'graf'

it's just school anyhow...they just want to see that you can write a complete sentence...

***zesto...you've got mad skills...why is it that you think only 10% of people like graf? your stuff is good enough to convince people otherwise...

i think people don't like graf, especially here (you know where) because it's just becoming little kid litter and tagwars...there's nothing profound about it...and if there's going to be nothing profound about it, people would rather have it clean and worry about friends reruns.

i think you're in the best position of anyone in town to make an impact beyond all the little tag bangers...why not?

- dot.

Archived