graffiti invading video games...

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counter-Strike source has a lot of graffiti in it. Stuff that looks even more like graffiti than what you posted. Hell, the first Counterstrike has an erupto hollow on a train, this game was made in 1998. Driver (Playstation) had graffiti in it. I think it was just by one writer though. That retarded ass rollerblading game for the DreamCast. And of course the coming up "Getting Up" by marc ecko.

I think a graffiti game would be much better executed if it was more of a sneaky stalker type game. Like Manhunt for instance. In Manhunt you have to walk around being as silent as possible to kill a bunch of people. I think it would be very easy to execute that gameplay in a graffiti game, especially seeing as how it would be much more realistic.. I mean sure, we've all done backflips off of subway trains after doing a simple.. but a backpack that holds your spray cans on the outside? PSSSH.

*edit, I forgot about GTA:SA and the graffiti missions as well. It was bound to happen. I guess I was the only one who saw it coming and just learned to accept it before it actually came. You can't tell me you didn't see this happening.

I've always wondered what you got, if anything, for your contribution to Driver.

Anyway, graffiti in videogames is essential. After all, these makers are often going for realism, if not simply for a certain atmosphere. Max Payne, for instance, really used graffiti to convey the dark image of the underworld in which the story was set.

As a matter of fact, when a game is set in an urban setting, it is one of the first things I look for. Some games simply put some nonsense scribbling on the walls, but I give respect to the developer if the graffiti is real, so to speak.

Last year sometime when they were doing the settings in tony hawk underground, one of the guys who was involved in making the sneak attack series got an email asking if he knew anyone who would like to submit photos of they're graffiti to be featured in the game...

That guy posted the email and the ladies email address somewhere in thirdrail/the yard.

yea i look for graffiti once i notice it in a game. but as far as leaning one way or another about it being in the game in the first place, honestly, i feel rather indifferent about the whole subject. although i have more respect for the developers that do their research and apply what they've found in creating the game. writers that are used should get royalties from whatever company is using their shit.

you gotta admit, that mark ecko game looks fucking great as far as graphics, but the ideas are a little goofy...someone had mentioned that backpack that holds cans on the outside, the backflips, the crazy rooftop chases, swat teams...a little too far.

but hey, if it were realistic, it would involve getting on 12oz for 3-6 hours at a time.....and member status would be important...hahaha.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

Mister raven

you are kind of wrong...

what you posted are known as sprays. users take whatever images they want and can spray them (well, go to a wall and press T) anywhere. so yes, i guess that is graffiti, but the pictures you posted, those didnt come in the game.

HOWEVER

there are some things thats you didnt post that ARE in the game, such as KILO throwies, ive seen 2 or 3 in various levels. it makes sense because kilo is from the seattle area which is where CS:S was developed (aboutish)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del@Jan 26 2005, 01:13 PM

Mister raven

you are kind of wrong...

what you posted are known as sprays. users take whatever images they want and can spray them (well, go to a wall and press T) anywhere. so yes, i guess that is graffiti, but the pictures you posted, those didnt come in the game.

HOWEVER

there are some things thats you didnt post that ARE in the game, such as KILO throwies, ive seen 2 or 3 in various levels. it makes sense because kilo is from the seattle area which is where CS:S was developed (aboutish)

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I never played the game personally and the article it was in never relly said that. Anyhow, I guess it still a relevant topic with all the games that are including graff, and there seems to be tons. I personally had a bunch of my stuff taken and used in the 'Driver' game on PS1, so I was just sort of curious what people thought.

driver.jpeg.e83973e27342b352e9762e7e0a21c495.jpeg