Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

GRAFFITI IN THE NEWS MEDIA SUPERTHREAD

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by metallix, Jun 27, 2004.

1. metallix

metallix Elite Member

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...sp?story=535331

Moose, public-spirited graffiti artist, cleans up
    By Ian Herbert and Roland Hancock
    26 June 2004

The Yorkshire graffiti artist known universally as Moose has what he believes is a cast-iron defence against accusations of urban vandalism.

He has devised a brand of street art which not only livens up city streets, but removes grime in the process. His method is to take any dirty inner-city wall or pavement, place a template over it and scrub the concrete clean, revealing an image as sharp as any spray paint which fades with time.

The artist's labours have brought in contracts from companies as diverse as Microsoft, Channel 4 and the drinks giant Diageo, and created art in improbable places - from Edinburgh signposts to London's Blackwall Tunnel. But the graffiti has pitched him into a legal spat with municipal leaders in Leeds, where he is based.

Much to the indignation of the artist's corporate clients, Leeds City Council demanded the "clean-up" of a piece of graffiti promoting Diageo's Smirnoff vodka in one of the municipality's gloomiest underpasses.

Smirnoff considers the artist's work a perfect way to reach a teenage market and is keen to commission Moose again. It claims the police were happy with the work's legality.

The row is a source of puzzlement to Moose, 39, who occasionally goes by his real name Paul Curtis, and who can earn more than £600 a day.

"As soon as I've done one it creates a lot of buzz; a lot of people start talking about it," he said. "It means I can create... images in horrible, shitty tunnels, dirty walkways, anywhere."

The source of the trouble has been a rather unfathomable message in 3ftletters for Smirnoff's "Lyriquid perfection" campaign, condemned by Gerry Harper, a Leeds councillor, as "sheer vandalism". Moose counters that he should not be prosecuted "for cleaning the walls". But Leeds City Council insists his work is illegal because any advertiser needs a permit. The Crown Prosecution Service says he may have been in breach of last year's Anti-Social Behaviour Act.

Smirnoff has removed the offending work - not because of the legality of the threat but by "its own volition" it said.

2. KiSe

KiSe Senior Member

maybe its just me but im confused on his "method" what does he do? just bassicly lays a stencil on a dirty wall and then scrubs it so when he takes the stencil off it looks like graffit? do you have any pictures of this stuff? it's very interesting.

3. Evoke_Me

Evoke_Me Junior Member

so why are they upset?

4. destroya

destroya Senior Member

Re: "Reverse Graffiti" article

haha. what's the legal drinking age there?

5. simeone

simeone New Jack

he probably sand blasts the wall...and for $600 per day for graff? fucked up...

6. dustwardprez

dustwardprez New Jack

this is such a stab in the back. if he was local i would hunt him down. he is getting paid for making your art look slightly different. the kids who basicly rocked his fills should get a cut.

7. Evoke_Me

Evoke_Me Junior Member

perosnally, i don't think he should be messing with people's art....its bullshit..i'm with dustwardprez

8. rinse

rinse Member

yo, there is nothing like a writer with a good gimick. sounds like he is using his noggin. wish there were flicks.

9. Sorc bcj

Sorc bcj Member

it doesn't say anywhere in the article that dude is going over pieces or tags just that he scrubs dirt off of grimey areas using a template to reveal an image. just like if there was a really dusty table and you wrote your name in the dust with your finger revealing the clean table underneath..only difference is his cleaning is fairly permanent. def. want to see some flicks.

10. panic

panic Member

as soon as he's done cleaning the surface, hit it. the paint will last much longer now thats its on a clean surface :)~

11. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Sounds like a smart motherfucker to me, I wish I'd thought of that.

12. IllegalLife

IllegalLife New Jack

Getting rid of NYC's graffiti

read or watch the video at..
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=4604299

New York-WABC, September 27, 2006) - Five days a week, there's a group here in the city that keeps walls graffiti free. And the best part? It's all free.

Eyewitness News's Lauren Glassberg has the story.
    When you see the truck pulling up, take a good last look. At the graffiti in the area.

Five days a weeks and sometimes at night. The graffiti free NYC crews hit the walls of New York and where they can't paint over graffiti. They layer on a non-toxic chemical that will help lift the spray paint off -- and then it's to the hot water power pressure washer.

Craig Small oversees the program and its fleet of 13. Some are brand new vans.

And there are some older versions, two of which are devoted to graffiti removal in Brooklyn and come October.

Ten more of those vans are being added. The push is clearly on to get the paint off.

Yvette Anthony passed by a school in Flatbush that was being cleaned and thought it would be great for her community.

And the best part, it's free and it's kind of fun to watch it all wash away.

On one building the graffiti says the "empire strikes back", now Lauren Glassberg is striking back. And it feels good, she says.

13. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Re: Getting rid of NYC's graffiti

new york has what, 18 million people? it's one of the biggest, most bombed, cities in the world. talk about pushing shit uphill. good luck to them in their losing battle

14. IllegalLife

IllegalLife New Jack

New Tools to Combat Graffiti

September 13, 2006 - Local leaders got their first look today at a new weapon in the fight against graffiti.

The makers of "Graffiti Armor" claim the sealant can prevent spray paint from getting a permanent hold on surfaces. Seal America says the $300 product used along with its special cleaner makes graffiti removal fast and easy.
    Roger Thomas from Caltrans says, "Taxpayers will ultimately foot the bill for whatever method governments choose to get rid of grafitti."

In a recent message, Fresno Mayor Alan Autry compared graffiti to cancer, saying it spreads to other parts of the community if not treated quickly and aggressively.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=4557943

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Re: New Tools to Combat Graffiti

new? this stuff's been around for years