graffiti complaints.....

Guest mafIAkilla

Guest mafIAkilla

time to air out whatever aspects of graffiti styles or culture that you dont like.....here's a few of mine.....

1. the automatic linking of graffiti to hip hop. not saying that hip hop is bad,but i do not like how just because someone does graffiti,they are expected to like hip hop. this bothers me to no end,especially in the south when you have a lot of people that do graffiti that try to achieve a new york accent and sound like they have a speech impedement.

2. when people say that you arent shit if you dont bomb most of the time OR people saying that you arent shit if you dont piece most of the time. to each their own,but dont try to discredit someone because their idea of graffiti does not match yours.

3. wildstyles minus the style. i hate when kids will come out and throw up some super-crazy shit,but when the letters are broken down for you (because they are never decipherable),they are completely lacking in style. id much rather see a simple style in which the letters have style than some crazy blob of shit in which the letters are represented by some odd shape that was a letter before it got stretched beyond any kind of recognition.

4. this one ties in with number 3,abstract/untraditional styles used as a crutch rather than an expansion of idea. it bothers me when people do this style simply for the fact they cannot do traditional styles. they like to paint some abstract whatever on the wall,but the second you tell them to do a straight letter,they cannot do this.

.....those that are offended,im not sorry. graffiti is a lot about personal viewpoints and these are mine. i more or less want to see if there maybe some people with any/all of my rants ans something that bothers them also. but in the words of the great dennis miller ".....thats just my opinion,i could be wrong"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest whoami
Originally posted by mafIAkilla

3. wildstyles minus the style. i hate when kids will come out and throw up some super-crazy shit,but when the letters are broken down for you (because they are never decipherable),they are completely lacking in style. id much rather see a simple style in which the letters have style than some crazy blob of shit in which the letters are represented by some odd shape that was a letter before it got stretched beyond any kind of recognition.

4. this one ties in with number 3,abstract/untraditional styles used as a crutch rather than an expansion of idea. it bothers me when people do this style simply for the fact they cannot do traditional styles. they like to paint some abstract whatever on the wall,but the second you tell them to do a straight letter,they cannot do this.

I agree totally on this even though I still like styles from Revok,Sever and other west coast writers but LTS I just cant get into...

'1. the automatic linking of graffiti to hip hop. not saying that hip hop is bad,but i do not like how just because someone does graffiti,they are expected to like hip hop. this bothers me to no end,especially in the south when you have a lot of people that do graffiti that try to achieve a new york accent and sound like they have a speech impedement. '

Now you're automatically linking hiphop to New York. Not everybody in graf is a head, but u have to agree that when the style began to flourish [in the 70s and 80s with the advent of burners and wildstyles]..those cats were in the hiphop scene.

'2. when people say that you arent shit if you dont bomb most of the time OR people saying that you arent shit if you dont piece most of the time. to each their own,but dont try to discredit someone because their idea of graffiti does not match yours. '

MOS DEF. That shit is stupid.

'3. wildstyles minus the style. i hate when kids will come out and throw up some super-crazy shit,but when the letters are broken down for you (because they are never decipherable),they are completely lacking in style. id much rather see a simple style in which the letters have style than some crazy blob of shit in which the letters are represented by some odd shape that was a letter before it got stretched beyond any kind of recognition.'

I can't really relate to this one...you're saying it looks good as a piece but bad if u break down the individual letters? "A whole is no greater than the sum of its parts"

'4. this one ties in with number 3,abstract/untraditional styles used as a crutch rather than an expansion of idea. it bothers me when people do this style simply for the fact they cannot do traditional styles. they like to paint some abstract whatever on the wall,but the second you tell them to do a straight letter,they cannot do this. '

Hm...just because that's what they wanna focus on doesn't mean it's a crutch. Granted, the traditionals are kept alive for a reason...but maybe in their minds they're creating a NEW tradition.

Guest -MOE LESTER-

i just hate the way kids will line my shit...but they dont leave a name...i mean cmon, if you gonna hack me leave your fucking name so i can come kill you, its pretty simple..nameless hacks suck

Graff started out as a "part" of hip-hop.....Just like "rap" music started out in school yards and parks with the equipment plugged into a light post in the street....Everything get "repackaged" and sold back to you.....

Graff is Graff kid....it can become anyones medium ..get in where u fit in...

Graff lives 2002

Guest mafIAkilla

Re: Re: graffiti complaints.....

Originally posted by whoami

I agree totally on this even though I still like styles from Revok,Sever and other west coast writers but LTS I just cant get into...

you must have misunderstood what i said. revok and sever,while they have crazy ass letters,their letters have style to them. they have been completely warped and made illegible,but when the letters are broken down,they still have the basic letterform and good balance to them. the concept of style is hard to explain though.....its kinda like the letters have to have the basic form,good balance,and nice flow to them.

see.. mafia's got it down.. good form, balance, and nice flow. it dont need to look exactly like an "H" or an "E" or whatever... that and color choice are all you... shit half the stuff out there dont even look like english! graff is art if you take it on like that... but rep it right.

about the hip-hop thing, i'm going to copy and paste froma previous thread:

"it has the same progression as hip-hop.

it's about improving yourself and finding a positive skill you're comfortable with. in fact, i've dabbled in bboying, mcing, and djing, and...well, breaking and djing aren't really my thing. but i think just about anyone could find a place among the elements. hip-hop isn't just music, it's the voice of the people. all four elements are types of expression. there's mcs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. rap metal, thug rap shit), djs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. ravers), and there's probably breakers that aren't hip-hop somehow too.

all i'm saying is that these elements all came from hip-hop, and some of them branched out, but the richer culture is always at the roots. because that's where the competition and the desire to improve is. you can battle in any four of the elements...it's just about moving up and finding your own style. i think that's why in all elements the participants go by aliases. you leave your birth name and create a self that is judged only by the respect you get from the expression of your skills and philosophies. "

and speaking about not looking like english, are there any well known writers that don't use the anglo-arabic (i'm making that word up) alphabet?

Originally posted by Night Shift

see.. mafia's got it down.. good form, balance, and nice flow. it dont need to look exactly like an "H" or an "E" or whatever... that and color choice are all you... shit half the stuff out there dont even look like english! graff is art if you take it on like that... but rep it right.

I think he's got it down, but you're confuzzled... it DOES have to look exactly like an "H" or an "E"... that's what good letter form is all about, no matter how much extra shit you add or pile on top, the letters still exist in their fundamental state. There's only SO MUCH you can do to a letter before it becomes 'not a letter' but, once you have the true foundations of a letter, there's not much you can do to fuck it up... sure, color combos and additions can make things harder to read, but that's what they're there for.

Guest whoami
Originally posted by doomfarmer

who cares

I care because I hate when I see kids do some shit on a legal wall with shapes flying all over the fucking place and big 3'ds telling me it says something....

Originally posted by Smart

I think he's got it down, but you're confuzzled... it DOES have to look exactly like an "H" or an "E"... that's what good letter form is all about, no matter how much extra shit you add or pile on top, the letters still exist in their fundamental state. There's only SO MUCH you can do to a letter before it becomes 'not a letter' but, once you have the true foundations of a letter, there's not much you can do to fuck it up... sure, color combos and additions can make things harder to read, but that's what they're there for.

not only that but there's a point where warping one letter turns it into another letter.

that society relates everything we do as "tag". go "tag" something. you "taggers". we have media and authority to blame for that one..."These tags were scrawn here...etc" and its a bomb or streight letter. i'm a writer god damn-it. i dont put little pieces of paper attached to string everywhere!

Guest Ted Wakowski
Originally posted by Mr. ABC

i hate when people start threads about things they hate in graffiti

The thing I hate in graffiti is when people post messages on websites about how they hate when people post things they hate about graffiti. Wait, that means I hate what I'm doing now ...

Guest eessee

i hate when kids come on here and lie about everything they do in graff and like they bomb and they all into but cant do a damn thing with a pencil or a can so i hate cuz some peeps be lying like mad crazy like i do this and i do that but when it real comes down to it they arent anybody or anything ..... i come in here do what i do say what i got to say give props o the people who need it and say my opinion but i dont lie.... peace teachers trippin..... :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

i listen to hip hop. but when i hear people say graff is about hip hop...

fuck hip hop. fuck it all. hip hop should be swept aside, nothing but a worthless culture without any body respecting any thing, full of losers and posers and getting fame for being losers and posers. Hip hop isnt creative, its all image. fuck hip hop and fuck you.

Guest Canadiano

where's the haters at? I want this thread to be full of hatred, so I can sell it to the devil so he can use it.

Re: Re: graffiti complaints.....

Originally posted by whoami

:D

Maybe you dont like it cause you cant read it :scramble:

"Graff started out as a "part" of hip-hop....."

Graffiti may be a part of hip hop, but hip hop is not part of graffiti. Most writers I know do not even listen to hip hop. Despite this, the graffiti scene and hip hop scene both have some influence on each other.

Archived