1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

graffiti complaints.....

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by mafIAkilla, Apr 20, 2002.

1. mafIAkilla

mafIAkilla Guest

graffiti complaints.....

Discussion started by mafIAkilla - Apr 20, 2002

time to air out whatever aspects of graffiti styles or culture that you dont like.....here's a few of mine.....
    1. the automatic linking of graffiti to hip hop. not saying that hip hop is bad,but i do not like how just because someone does graffiti,they are expected to like hip hop. this bothers me to no end,especially in the south when you have a lot of people that do graffiti that try to achieve a new york accent and sound like they have a speech impedement.
    2. when people say that you arent shit if you dont bomb most of the time OR people saying that you arent shit if you dont piece most of the time. to each their own,but dont try to discredit someone because their idea of graffiti does not match yours.
    3. wildstyles minus the style. i hate when kids will come out and throw up some super-crazy shit,but when the letters are broken down for you (because they are never decipherable),they are completely lacking in style. id much rather see a simple style in which the letters have style than some crazy blob of shit in which the letters are represented by some odd shape that was a letter before it got stretched beyond any kind of recognition.
    4. this one ties in with number 3,abstract/untraditional styles used as a crutch rather than an expansion of idea. it bothers me when people do this style simply for the fact they cannot do traditional styles. they like to paint some abstract whatever on the wall,but the second you tell them to do a straight letter,they cannot do this.

.....those that are offended,im not sorry. graffiti is a lot about personal viewpoints and these are mine. i more or less want to see if there maybe some people with any/all of my rants ans something that bothers them also. but in the words of the great dennis miller ".....thats just my opinion,i could be wrong"

2. whoami

whoami Guest

whoami - Replied Apr 20, 2002

I agree totally on this even though I still like styles from Revok,Sever and other west coast writers but LTS I just cant get into...

3. artsol

artsol 12oz Junior Member

artsol - Replied Apr 21, 2002

'1. the automatic linking of graffiti to hip hop. not saying that hip hop is bad,but i do not like how just because someone does graffiti,they are expected to like hip hop. this bothers me to no end,especially in the south when you have a lot of people that do graffiti that try to achieve a new york accent and sound like they have a speech impedement. '

Now you're automatically linking hiphop to New York. Not everybody in graf is a head, but u have to agree that when the style began to flourish [in the 70s and 80s with the advent of burners and wildstyles]..those cats were in the hiphop scene.

'2. when people say that you arent shit if you dont bomb most of the time OR people saying that you arent shit if you dont piece most of the time. to each their own,but dont try to discredit someone because their idea of graffiti does not match yours. '

MOS DEF. That shit is stupid.

'3. wildstyles minus the style. i hate when kids will come out and throw up some super-crazy shit,but when the letters are broken down for you (because they are never decipherable),they are completely lacking in style. id much rather see a simple style in which the letters have style than some crazy blob of shit in which the letters are represented by some odd shape that was a letter before it got stretched beyond any kind of recognition.'

I can't really relate to this one...you're saying it looks good as a piece but bad if u break down the individual letters? "A whole is no greater than the sum of its parts"

'4. this one ties in with number 3,abstract/untraditional styles used as a crutch rather than an expansion of idea. it bothers me when people do this style simply for the fact they cannot do traditional styles. they like to paint some abstract whatever on the wall,but the second you tell them to do a straight letter,they cannot do this. '

Hm...just because that's what they wanna focus on doesn't mean it's a crutch. Granted, the traditionals are kept alive for a reason...but maybe in their minds they're creating a NEW tradition.

artsol - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  4. -MOE LESTER-

-MOE LESTER- Guest

-MOE LESTER- - Replied Apr 21, 2002

i just hate the way kids will line my shit...but they dont leave a name...i mean cmon, if you gonna hack me leave your fucking name so i can come kill you, its pretty simple..nameless hacks suck

5. SEone

SEone 12oz Member

SEone - Replied Apr 21, 2002

Graff started out as a "part" of hip-hop.....Just like "rap" music started out in school yards and parks with the equipment plugged into a light post in the street....Everything get "repackaged" and sold back to you.....
    Graff is Graff kid....it can become anyones medium ..get in where u fit in...
    Graff lives 2002

SEone - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Apr 21, 2002

no, it didn't. learn your history...

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. mafIAkilla

mafIAkilla Guest

mafIAkilla - Replied Apr 21, 2002

Re: Re: graffiti complaints.....

you must have misunderstood what i said. revok and sever,while they have crazy ass letters,their letters have style to them. they have been completely warped and made illegible,but when the letters are broken down,they still have the basic letterform and good balance to them. the concept of style is hard to explain though.....its kinda like the letters have to have the basic form,good balance,and nice flow to them.

8. Night Shift

Night Shift New Jack

Night Shift - Replied Apr 21, 2002

see.. mafia's got it down.. good form, balance, and nice flow. it dont need to look exactly like an "H" or an "E" or whatever... that and color choice are all you... shit half the stuff out there dont even look like english! graff is art if you take it on like that... but rep it right.

Night Shift - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  9. fizm

fizm 12oz Member

fizm - Replied Apr 21, 2002

about the hip-hop thing, i'm going to copy and paste froma previous thread:
    "it has the same progression as hip-hop.

it's about improving yourself and finding a positive skill you're comfortable with. in fact, i've dabbled in bboying, mcing, and djing, and...well, breaking and djing aren't really my thing. but i think just about anyone could find a place among the elements. hip-hop isn't just music, it's the voice of the people. all four elements are types of expression. there's mcs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. rap metal, thug rap shit), djs that aren't hip-hop (i.e. ravers), and there's probably breakers that aren't hip-hop somehow too.

all i'm saying is that these elements all came from hip-hop, and some of them branched out, but the richer culture is always at the roots. because that's where the competition and the desire to improve is. you can battle in any four of the elements...it's just about moving up and finding your own style. i think that's why in all elements the participants go by aliases. you leave your birth name and create a self that is judged only by the respect you get from the expression of your skills and philosophies. "

and speaking about not looking like english, are there any well known writers that don't use the anglo-arabic (i'm making that word up) alphabet?

fizm - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Smart - Replied Apr 21, 2002

I think he's got it down, but you're confuzzled... it DOES have to look exactly like an "H" or an "E"... that's what good letter form is all about, no matter how much extra shit you add or pile on top, the letters still exist in their fundamental state. There's only SO MUCH you can do to a letter before it becomes 'not a letter' but, once you have the true foundations of a letter, there's not much you can do to fuck it up... sure, color combos and additions can make things harder to read, but that's what they're there for.

Smart - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  11. doomfarmer

doomfarmer 12oz Senior Member

doomfarmer - Replied Apr 21, 2002

who cares

doomfarmer - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. whoami

whoami Guest

whoami - Replied Apr 21, 2002

I care because I hate when I see kids do some shit on a legal wall with shapes flying all over the fucking place and big 3'ds telling me it says something....

13. fizm

fizm 12oz Member

fizm - Replied Apr 21, 2002

not only that but there's a point where warping one letter turns it into another letter.

fizm - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. ~KRYLON2~

~KRYLON2~ 12oz Loyalist

~KRYLON2~ - Replied Apr 21, 2002

i hate people who write for fame

~KRYLON2~ - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  15. mafIAkilla

mafIAkilla Guest

mafIAkilla - Replied Apr 21, 2002

oh yea! how could i have forgotten,thanx krylon.....FUCK STAMPLICKERS!