Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Graffiti ads spark debate in US

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Zack Morris, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

Graffiti ads spark debate in US

A graffiti advertising campaign for Sony Playstation portable games has triggered a controversy in the US.

Wordless displays showing cartoon characters interacting with the game have popped up in cities from New York to San Francisco.

But a Philadelphia watchdog says the stealth marketing violates a regulation process in the city, while others have criticised its visual appeal.

A Sony spokeswoman said its "portable product" was aimed at "urban nomads".

They're just trying to get into the teenagers' minds
    Eddie Torres
    Philadelphia resident

Molly Smith told Wired News internet news site earlier this month that Sony was hiring artists in seven cities to spray-paint the pre-drawn designs.

But in San Francisco, the ads were defaced as it became known that Sony was behind them. "Fony" was written on one.

And in Philadelphia, an official has now faxed a letter to Sony urging the company to cease the ad campaign.

"This really flies in the face of everything we've been trying to do with our anti-blight initiative," Pedro Ramos said, referring to a campaign against illegal or inappropriate billboards in the city.

However, the ads have also drawn praise.

A Philadelphia resident told the Associated Press the concept was "sharp".

"It's all about hip-hop, urban and all that. They're just trying to get into the teenagers' minds," Eddie Torres said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4567236.stm

2. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

I think someone else already posted this with pics...but it was getting hated on pretty badly.

I have a love/hate relationship with advertising.

3. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

that shit is actually really corny and in my city the shit gets gone through..

4. Harvey Wallbanger

Harvey Wallbanger Dirty Dozen Crew

I know what you mean, SteveAustin...it's like the ads that are designed to appeal to me most, by using music/ images/ themes that I can identify with, wind up pissing me off by exploiting these things.

And yeah, those Sony ads are wack. PSP is toy.

5. JesusMachine

JesusMachine Elite Member

who cares. it's only a fucking ad!

6. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube Veteran Member

PSP hit my blackbook at last year's Scribble dood!

7. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

i hate advertising on so many levels.

8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

Graffiti is such a real problem.
    It's so real that we'll now even bitch about ads that vaguely resemble real graffiti.
    Graffiti is whats really to blame for everything.
    Broken windows.
    Real real real.... real.
    Real.

9. shape1369

shape1369 Member

^haha. broken windows theory.... o man, thats the first time ive heard someone on this board ever mention that.

10. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

The broken window theory is real, I agree.

11. Getzup

Getzup Member

WHAT IS THIS "BROKEN WINDOW THEORY" THAT YOU SPEAK OF?

12. Sparoism

Sparoism Guest

Don't we have more important things to worry about?

Graff is just the messenger. People seem to want to forget that.

13. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

If you see a building with a broken window, and it's abandoned, it's ok to break any other windows that aren't broken.

Sometimes, this can hold true for places that aren't abandoned, and this general idea can be applied to many

aspects of life...

14. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

nope. this is the pinnacle of worries.

hell...graf isn't even the messenger...its the medium. all hates direted towards sony and their crack think-tank ad agency.

15. I.C.Shadow

I.C.Shadow Senior Member

The PSP is WHACK. I gave mine to my brother for xmas cause I never ever ever use it =p Didn't cope do shit for TIME Mag? I know _______ in boston did a thing for M&M candy on the mass pike. Dunno, I don't really feel the graff ads =p