Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

graffiti addiction

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by acephale, Jan 1, 2007.

1. OriginalMischief

OriginalMischief New Jack

i think youre right man, my experience with graff is similar. It is an addiction. it feels good everything about it. because its illegal, because its rebellious, the feeling of a pen or marker touching the surface and that squeek of the nib or the sound of spraycans shaking and spraying, the fact that EVERYONE is going to see your name somewhere and the simple fact that you know you did it and u have been there its just a great high. when i started i was in middle school and havent stopped since and i started because i wasnt happy at my school and i was angry at life but bombin made me happy it was escape outlet rather than gettin fucked up on drugs(although i was chiefin bud at the time). ever since then i cant stop and its something to do i couldnt just walk the hallways at school and not hit up a bathroom stall with cutty ass tags or even in the hallways. I needed to tag or write on something and afer school was the best thing for me because i knew i would be using paint. graffiti is my drug i just cant stop...

CILONE/SK likes this.
  2. Addict19

Addict19 New Jack

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2013
    CILONE/SK likes this.
  3. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube Veteran Member

I do it mainly to prove ~someone~ had been there (mainly heaven/retarded spots in mind). I actually get more enjoyment when people point out a heaven spot i have locked down and i can say "Yeah yo, that dudes insane" rather than claiming responsibility for the work. Anonymity is a surprisingly empowering feeling. In regards to the rest of the work (tags/ fills and piecing/freights)- Theres something gratifying about watching your name roll away. Tags , hollows, and fills are simply fun because of the rush they provide me. I like the challenge of blending into my surroundings, for example, a group of drunken college kids, after catching a streetside hollow. But Most of all.. I just love those high top fades.

4. finEyoungCamel!!!

finEyoungCamel!!! Elite Member

Graff's in some people's LUNGS.

5. aLBERThOFFMAN

aLBERThOFFMAN Senior Member

I can feel it jolting through my veins like a heavy dose of heroin

6. injury

injury 12oz Loyalist

i just happen to get along with other people very badly

yot likes this.
  7. Schnitzel

Schnitzel Dirty Dozen Crew

I just like painting things.

8. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

I'm inbetween Schnitzel and Injury

I don't like most people but enjoy painting on things, I rarely like to paint with other people other than TDB.

9. rack101

rack101 New Jack

like skuf said on syn i rather be addicted to graff than drugs,
    ... difference from being a robot and a lame man
    in this working class world

10. dunno

dunno New Jack

Yeah rack,

Whoever broke it down into 3 categories. What about explorer?

I can do art stuffs, I've always bombed more than anything. To me the real value is in painting in a spot, in a tunnel, at night on tracks with red signal lights, in a yard, its about atmosphere.

Graff also opened up stuff like hitchiking, freight hopping, tavelling and staying in squats with amazing open hearted people. it's a ticket to see you can break the rules and get away with it enough times that even if you get arrested it's a balance sheet and worth it over all and you can choose to be FREEE and not be a pussy like 99% of people.

Graff isn't addictive it's a reasoned choice to do what is more fun to do with your limited supply of time. Who wants to work in a fucking office as an underling to some jumped up, narrow minded, cowardly fuck, doing whatever is fashionable or acceptable, for the rest of their life, when you could explore a million and one things, do whatever the fuck you want, express yourself with an art form that seems perfectable, anywhere you think looks right.

People who don't like graffiti are afraid or jealous of it.

11. itsmeyo

itsmeyo New Jack

i don't find it as a addiction. i find it a way to get away from my desk job,escape a robot reality & live a life in the shadows of darkness instead of sitting there hours on end listening to customers complain about how they are over everything you can think of. all the while i'm drifting off thinking about the next colour scheme i'm going to use or if 3am is early enough to get up to go to the next spot.i find something peaceful about scoping a spot out, sometimes sitting there for hours to certain things to go your way. unfortunately in my state graffiti is dead. the train lines are painted a deep green as soon as your aerosol is applied. the buff definitely took its toll here.

12. rack101

rack101 New Jack

it took me to hitchiking , hopping fr8s also
    knowing that you can survive without
    a job only living by reaching your next
    graffiti goal. meeting, knowing and being
    part of the poor, being humble
    about travel, seeing the rich and the poor
    of north america .playing my part in
    the graffiti game that only last like
    15 minutes, waiting to fall off
    waiting for the next generation
    of kings and toys to take my place.
    paying attention more to graff than fam.
    losing relationships, jail time, beef with
    crazy heros..

13. vandalism essay

vandalism essay New Jack

Of course graffiti is an art. Many make a very nice graffiti. There are different styles and genres so yeah, it is an art. Sometimes I look at it and it makes me feel like making some myself. Naturally, some practice is required but still, I think just like with any other kind of art.