GRAFF INFLUENCED TATTOOS...

dirtysicks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The best tattoo artist is Cartoon based out of Los Angeles. He does all the work for Cypress Hill. He's also done up Redman and Method Man. Thats fools skulls and shit are the shit. I wish I knew about him before I got my shit done. If I had the cash I would have had strictly Cartoon ink.

------------------

"The great man is sparing in words and prodigal in deeds."

Confucius , Analects

http://www.yourphotos.com/users/3693/pistolsq.gif'>

i've seen lots, it seems like most of the old skool guys in the Bronx area open stores. Jent has a store in Yonkers, Zev has one i think, Ces is tatooing these days

(oh shit, i shouldn't have let that one out, now we'll have kids from all over the world fiending) and plenty more.

my current tattooist is an old friend of mine who wrote, and his designs are great. he's a great colorist and i'm giving up my mini-sleeve to him. he did a pilot and pencil on my arm last september and i still get complements on the colors.

it's ok to get your name (i don't have it) tattooed, but i think it's easy to get a graffiti-style tattoo that just doesn't work. it's kinda like doing a piece that's TOO detailed on a train- the art is cool but the canvas is wrong. tats are super personal and i respect that, it's just my thought.

oh yo wait a second. i just need to say something here. FUCK WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY ABOUT TATTOOS- they're too personal to worry about the opinions of others.

remember, if you go to the tattooist that everyone thinks is the best, you might still get work that you hate. in my experience, a tattooist is someone at work like anyone else- they do tons of tattoos and 99% don't matter to them and they don't care that much. i only like getting work by friends because it means something more to me. so what if i never get to give Johnathan Shaw or Bugs my money for ink- my tattoos were given to me by people who i'm boys with and we both enjoyed it. besides, i'll bet writers who do tattoos get pretty tired of doing pieces for people. anyhow, i'm done.

Originally posted by garcia_vega:

my favorite graf/tattooist is giant. i feel like his style translates well onto the skin. i think graf tattoos look best with not too many colors. actually my fav. graf tattoos are usually black and grey.

i have a friend whose going to tatoo me for the first time, and i'm pretty sure i'm going to get some graff wildstyle as opposed to traditional. not being much for that shit myself i was wondering first, if there are other pitfalls to avoid such as this one, and second is it kosher to use another artists design?

i think another thing to watch out for is placement. i personally prefer graf tattoos either as back pieces, across the chest/stomach, or on the inside of the forearm. also i think usually bigger is better. i like a graf tattoo that can be outlined with a five needle. nice and bold. just my opinion.

Originally posted by garcia_vega:

as far as using other artist's designs, i think it's ok to use them as long as they weren't specifically drawn to be a tattoo for someone else.

yeah i wasn't into stealing someones graff tatoo design. and as i see it it's getting up in a way, even if they didn't give me the tat.

graffiti tattoos:

i think grimey is one of the most able, that doesnt mean i dont like anyone elses but in terms of a competent skin artist i think he is it. in terms of style giant has it on lock. i wanted him to do my knees, because i like his day of the dead stuff, but i have heard that he isnt super competent in terms of longevity slinging, all my stuff needs to be pushed. so, i want someone a.) is covered and knows what the fuck they are doing and b.) will keep their art in my skin for ever.

now in terms of other tattoo artists the list is long there are a lot of great ones on my list and this is just partial as to what i want....

. bugs (evil from the needle)

. stephane chaudesignes (dermagraphics)

. scott sylvia (222 rip)

. seth ciferri (read st)

. tennessee dave (222 rip)

. civ (lotus)

. anil gupta (fineline)

. dave fox (olde city)

. brady duncan (jinx proof)

and there are alot more. get yourself a magazine. look for consistency picking out tattoos is something that comes with age and experience. take anyone from my list and you will get a kick ass tattoo dont sweat money youll have the shit forever. pay as much as you have to tip well. dont be a dick.

fleshtech it is not a gun youll never tattoo if you call it that it is a machine. and before you pick one up get your ass in a shop and apprentice. alot of people will hate you if you dont including me. you aint worth my money if you never scrubbed tubes, and learned the proper way to discuss your trade.

jober tattoo nazi.

Archived