graf alternatives?

dot.

so 'ups' are what counts...

and style...

lets use that as the premise behind graf...not the premise, but it ends up being hte basis around which you're measured...

and normally, this is associated w/ spary paint (or some permanent ink) on walls, or cement/concrete, or whatever creative spot/s one happens to find.

so my question is this...

what are other alternatives for ups? that don't include paint, or scratching, or markers...non of the regular things we associate w/ graf?

this i guess is assuming that 'ups' and not 'vandalism' is the root of your 'tagging'

thanks

-dot.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

^ no doubt on the kast system!

here's one... credits! I try to get as many credits as possible.

Some times they're higher up on the roll... sometimes they are on better

recognized networks. and to use your premise.... "I'm just getting my name up".

yeah... Name name's on TV nightly and I was running 5 a dau at one point.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

^ no doubt on the kast system!

here's one... credits! I try to get as many credits as possible.

Some times they're higher up on the roll... sometimes they are on better

recognized networks. and to use your premise.... "I'm just getting my name up".

yeah... Name name's on TV nightly and I was running 5 a dau at one point.

credits...done that...a little...but i've found it tough to get my 'painting' name on credits...everyone wants to have your 'real name'...

also, i've found,

liner notes on albums

flyers

t-shirts

dj sponsorship (ie table banners)

???

Guest Canadiano

dolla dolla billz y'all!

my buddy got a five dollar bill back with a straight letter drawn into the 'canada' in the background (behind the kingfisher or whatever it is). He had spent it many months ago, then just got it back recently.

Guest --zeSto--

ok then... I had a shirt once with 300 units moved!

I suppose thats an alternate medium for getting your name out.

(only it wasn't my name on the shirts... dang!)

Originally posted by dot.

so 'ups' are what counts...

and style...

lets use that as the premise behind graf...not the premise, but it ends up being hte basis around which you're measured...

and normally, this is associated w/ spary paint (or some permanent ink) on walls, or cement/concrete, or whatever creative spot/s one happens to find.

so my question is this...

what are other alternatives for ups? that don't include paint, or scratching, or markers...non of the regular things we associate w/ graf?

this i guess is assuming that 'ups' and not 'vandalism' is the root of your 'tagging'

thanks

-dot.

are you high again?

ps. there is NO graf alternative. [/b]

bullshit...there's alternatives to everything...

graf is basically corporate branding...

and there's always alternatives there...

why no with graf?

Guest --zeSto--

but no!

the entire point of coperate branding is to sell the brand.

I'm sure you've heard all this before .dot , but for the others...

What does ikea sell? - A modern, well designed life style? No, furniture.

What does Pepsi sell? - Youth, energy and Brittany Spears? No, cola.

What does Microsoft sell? - The technology to keep up to date with the world? No, a buggy program bundle.

These conpanies sell the brand, not the product.

Graffiti IS the product AND the way it is sold.

To all the people outside of our little graf scene... what we do is simply "art for art's sake".

And I dont think it would be possible to convince the few people who

see it as more than vandalism, that it's also an image, lifestyle, opinion (brand).

they'd never believe it untill they've lived it.

ramble on.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

but no!

the entire point of coperate branding is to sell the brand.

I'm sure you've heard all this before .dot , but for the others...

What does ikea sell? - A modern, well designed life style? No, furniture.

What does Pepsi sell? - Youth, energy and Brittany Spears? No, cola.

What does Microsoft sell? - The technology to keep up to date with the world? No, a buggy program bundle.

These conpanies sell the brand, not the product.

Graffiti IS the product AND the way it is sold.

To all the people outside of our little graf scene... what we do is simply "art for art's sake".

And I dont think it would be possible to convince the few people who

see it as more than vandalism, that it's also an image, lifestyle, opinion (brand).

they'd never believe it untill they've lived it.

ramble on.

i guess i'm saying that there's gotta be a way to make it a brand..."a lifestyle, opinion, image" etc...

the whole internet buzz happened and developed out of people funding 'potential' products...but millions were spent on advertising and 'branding', with no real product...so basically we ended up with a brand that sold nothing for years until the stock bottomed out and they couldn't afford to make the 'brand' anymore.

i did design for three companies during the boom that had no product, and the technology required to fuel their idea was still 3 or 4 years away...and they realized that...and at that time...branding and name recognition was the most important thing...if you're recognizable in the community, you must have a voice and be 'someone'...or at least that was their thought...and with that, you'd develop credibility and people would want to be associated with you/your company...and your branding fueled stocks...so basically there were a ton of companies with no product other than their branding and advertising that were taken seriously...

i guess after g8 i realised this: critique if you will: protests (protesters) don't work because you're on the wrong end of the media...you're the spectacle...in order to have a voice, you need to be able to control/buy some of the media ... this is why greenpeace has 'some limited' success...because they have a marketing budget...so they're can afford to portray themselves as a body w/ integrity...300 neo-hippies singing isn't recognized as anything other than a 'gathering'... you have to have a stake in it to have a voice, or else you're a sideshow...

so how do you flip graf into credibility, where it makes people look at graf as something more than just graf, like it's part of a whole? and no...museum and gallery showings aren't credibility...it's just money.

bars and restaurants do this by handing out flyers...that's easy...but you're right...how do you develop the 'lifestyle' w/ graf?

i don't know...i just thought i'd throw it out there...it's something i've been thinking about a lot lately...

anything anyone can offer, or discuss would be valuable...

yada yada

-dot.

Guest Dyptheria
Originally posted by melt

go to the arcade, get really good, get the high score, enter your name.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived