Gore Accuses Bush of 'Big Brother' Policy

rubbish heap

http://www.comcast.net/apnews///Multimedia/Photo/GORE_CIVIL_LIBERTIES2.jpg'>

By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Former Vice President Al Gore accused President Bush on Sunday of failing to make the country safer after the Sept. 11 attacks and using the war against terrorism as a pretext to consolidate power.

"They have taken us much farther down the road toward an intrusive, 'big brother'-style government _ toward the dangers prophesied by George Orwell in his book '1984' _ than anyone ever thought would be possible in the United States of America," Gore charged.

Gore, who lost the disputed 2000 presidential election to Bush, said terrorism-fighting tools granted after Sept. 11 amount to a partisan power grab that have led to the erosion of the civil liberties of all Americans.

He brought the crowd to its feet when he called for a repeal of the Patriot Act, which expanded government's surveillance and detention power, allowing authorities to monitor books people read and conduct secret searches.

Gore chided the administration for what he said was its "implicit assumption" that Americans must give up traditional freedoms in order to be safe from terrorists.

"In my opinion, it makes no more sense to launch an assault on our civil liberties as the best way to get at terrorists than it did to launch an invasion of Iraq as the best way to get at Osama bin Laden," Gore said.

In both cases, Gore said, the administration has "recklessly put our country in grave and unnecessary danger."

He also said the administration still has "no serious strategy" for domestic security _ charging that there aren't sufficient protections in place for ports, nuclear facilities, chemical plants and other key infrastructure.

His speech before a crowd of about 3,000 people was sponsored by the liberal activist group Moveon.org, which earlier this year held an online presidential primary in which Howard Dean finished first.

The second sponsor, the American Constitution Society, is a national organization of law students, professors, lawyers and others that says it seek to counter what it characterizes as the dominant, narrow conservative vision of American law today.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

my take on this? gore is the fucking man.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i seen some old g bush footage from before the war and hes like "we need congress to approve this money so we can protect the homeland from the evil doers"

come on now....didnt gore have somthing to do with inventing the internet....oh but thats right..we didnt actually elect bush, the supreme court did.

and who wants perosnality in a politician anyway you know? i want a politician that is a serious calcualated logical antisocial nerd.

what really gets me though, is they created the amount of senators and congressmen a loooooooooooong time ago. theres like 1000000% more people and the same amount of people making the laws and spending the money....fuck that.

while it's true as fuck, i kind of wish clinton or someone had said it, because it'll probably be easy for republicans to be like "well, look who's in the oval office and who isn't"...

aside from that, bush gets the bozack and the mothafuckin gasface

Shout Outs to the NSA!

yeah, more than anything, politicians should get their balls chopped off, think about all the trouble your nutsack gets you into. I used to think a cool dude president would be cool, but now that basically my single greatest fear is George Wballya getting re-elected, we just all need to chill out right now. I used to even campaign against al gore, back in my rabid post pubescent stages.

Side note-- don't believe the hype. We shut down one of Gore's speeches, he said three words before he got booed down from the podium, this was when everyone still cared that all these politicians were driving to rape Colombia of her oil. Oh well right, now I'm just trying to stay un-blown-up. Yeah so there were a bunch of news crews there, because A. Gore was campaigning, but every paper just blanketed the articles with bullshit, Al had a great speech blah blah blah, foney baloney.

Archived