Good Sources for Tools, Etc.

KaBar2

I started collecting tools when I was in high school. I still have my original Sears toolbox-with-tray, but it's in shit shape now, 38 years later.

I started out buying Craftsman tools exclusively, mainly because Sears would replace a busted or damaged Craftsman tool immediately, no questions asked. I bought the tool box first, then started filling it up with wrenches, socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, Vice-Grips, etc. I needed tools to work on the car I was planning on buying.

Part of my problem was that my parents got divorced, and my Dad left, so I had nobody to teach me about mechanics. I had to read books and try to figure out how to do it myself. That's a poor way to learn mechanics. We had an auto-shop class at school, but it was always packed--very hard class to get into.

Anyway, after owning a whole series of shitty cars and trucks (that constantly broke down,) I finally started earning enough money to afford to buy a decent used pick-up and afford to have somebody else work on it. The auto manufacturers have ruined it anyway, with all these computers and pollution-control devices. You have to have $20,000 worth of diagnosistic equipment to work on modern cars. Sucks. The old '53 International pick-up I owned could be completely re-built with about $100 worth of tools.

Craftsman www.craftsman.com

Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com

Grizzly Industrial www.grizzly.com

Northern Tool & Equipment www.northerntool.com

Snap-On www.snapon.com

Stanley tools, including Proto Tools, Matco Tools, Goldblatt tools, etc.

www.stanleyworks.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah, i look through the tool catalogs and look at all the stuff i want when i have my own garage. there's something about having the tools you need at your house when something breaks or needs to be built. instead of having to be pussy and borrowing shit from your neighbors. theres definately some pride in knowing you did it, plus if you know what your doing you can do a helluva better job than some dude that will never see you again.

and if i really had bank i would get all kinds of destructive type tools and just fuck shit up for a while as 'practice' until i eventually felt like learning the new stuff.

dewalt and makita make some good tools too.

Cool Tool Czar

The guy that owns Grizzly Industrial is a guitar/music freak. And he owns this gigantic tool empire that buys tools from Taiwan. So he started selling guitar parts and tuners and kits and all manner of cool do-it-yourself musical instrument stuff along with the planers and lathes and bandsaws and so on and so forth. Too cool! It's like "Okay, I'm a rich guy now, so I can go back to what I really love--fucking around building guitars." Shots of his guitars are in the Grizzly Industrial catalog to show what is possible if you're a millionaire who owns a tool company, LOL.

i hate using ebay, but id have to say that ebay can get you great deals especially on larger stuff. im not much of a mechanic but industrial art supplies such as welders(mig tig stick) and all other welding supplies are usually online for ridiculously low prices.

i remember when my dad got me a craftsman toolbox full of tools for christmas way back when.... and i was pretty dissappointed. but now i wish he would get me some more because there are too many tools and they are too expensive, well at least the cool ones with motors and shit.

ah, so it's a talking about tools thread.

dewalt makes good hand tools, but their cordless drill, skilsaw, etc. all kinda suck. i've had a makita 12v cordless for three years and i beat the shit out of it and it still works like a dream.

i have to say, tools and cars are the only thing i've ever been able to truly say "you get what you pay for."

I went out and bought some new tools today. I saw this mitar saw that had a laser built into the blade so it would shine your line onto the wood for precision cuts. Thats the bitch ass way of doing things but at the same time i thought it was pretty cool.

eBay is pretty cool

In the last week, I bought a draw knife (it's a woodworking tool), a batch of three spoke shaves and a backsaw-and-mitre-box combination. Certain tools get the price run up pretty bad on eBay. The tool collectors annoy me. They buy shit, and never intend to use it. They hang it on their wall, or put it in a display case. Numbnuts collectors.

i just started working at circuit city doing car audio installation. i love the job... and finally its given me a chance to buy my own tools and also write them off at the end of the year as tax deductables. also my manager has a deal with the people over at snap-on and we get some decent discounts. although snap-on makes a damn nice tool of almost anysort... they still are rather expensive even with the discount that im getting. needless to say... i am slowly starting a collection of snap on tools.

ill try to not get so worked up that my panties get wet talking about tools

anyway, i practically live at harbor freight

and ive spent more money in the snap-on truck in the past few years than ive spent on the vehicles the tools worked on

80 bucks for a 21mm open ended wrench

fuck yeah i bought it

milwaukee sawzall

miller welder

and plasma

i have a great deal of money in my tool collection to say the least

while working at circuit city as an installer i spent more money in two years in the snap-on truck and the mac truck than anywhere else. i ended up selling most of it and just about broke even. awesome equipment but a bit pricey. craftsman works just fine for me at this point.

take care of your tools and your tools will take care of you.

My college teacher mentioned a tool company called Haslat or something like that(it most likely isn’t spelled that way – I don’t even know the proper pronunciation). It’s German, and really hard to find, apparently. He said that if any of us find some, let him know, and he’ll drop larges on them. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Arc Welding is for gangsters... Spot welding is for suckers...

Thats the attitude that got me a C- in metal shop...

Funnest thing ever, this dude was making faggy flowers and talking shit like me and my "mates" didn't know what was up, so we cut them to pieces with an Acetyline torch when he left. Then a friend of mine got suspended for burning up some kids cell phone.

Craftsman is cool if you can afford it.

I like building stuff...

Holler

ah good ol' tools. yeah i am just like when, i have spent more money on a snap on truck than i got profit out of working! but eh its not only about just buying the tools to do a job, i deep down really love tools. nothing is better than having the right tool for the job, granted i dont own as many tools as some guys out there working on cars, you pretty much know what you need and what you dont after about 5 years of doing it. now for auto tools, i only buy snap-on and matco now, got a good deal of craftsman. gotta love it, its cheap, and you can take it back for a new one at any time. craftsman chrome sockets are the way to go you wear them out anyway, why spend twice as much off the snap on truck that gonna wear out just as fast? (granted i DO IT!) but some things you cant get at sears that is where snap on is king. woodworking tools, i have always been a porter cable and dewalt man. milwaukee corded drills and sawzalls too.

my old mans got a nice snap on chest of tools

tis aroud mid stomach height

i got alot of snap on gear as well (beer mugs, shirts, calculators, pens, caps, etc) as my uncle owns a snap on truck in Scotland.

Guest KONFLIKT

TOOLS

I WORK AT A SEARS AUTO CENTER AND I GET 35% OF CRAFTSMEN TOOL. ITS COOL CUZ I CAN JUST GO INTO THE MAIN STORE AND GET MY TOOLS REPLACED FOR FREE WHEN THEY BREAK. REALLY ALL YOU NEED FOR CARS FOR AT HOME WORK ARE 8MM-24MM WRENCHES AND SOCKETS. SOME PLIERS AND VICEGRIPS, AND SCREWDRIVERS AND SOME ALLEN WRENCHES FOR YOUR BREAK CALLIPERS. AN INPACT GUN WITH 15MM-26MM IMPACT SOCETS, IS NICE BUT MOST PEOPLE DONT HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR. THERE IS OTHER TOOLS THAT COME ALONG WHEN YOU NEED THEM BUT THE UBOVE LISTED IS A GOOD BASE SET. OH THE BEST TOOL EVER IS A FLASHLIGHT!!!

Guest SPLINTER

Oh man, working on an old car ..... gotta love it!

my dad has like almost every Craftsman tool known to man. i love his tools. when ever i work on my chevelle, they're priceless. from dropping in an engine to doing basic tune ups, everything i've done, he's had the right tool.

(p.s. I love the rumble of a Small Block Chevrolet.)

Re: Oh man, working on an old car ..... gotta love it!

Originally posted by SPLINTER

my dad has like almost every Craftsman tool known to man. i love his tools. when ever i work on my chevelle, they're priceless. from dropping in an engine to doing basic tune ups, everything i've done, he's had the right tool.

(p.s. I love the rumble of a Small Block Chevrolet.)

Im TURBO JEALOUS. Of the tools and the car.

Archived