Good graff tip <-

Baso

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's a better tip... you mask is CONSTANTLY filtering whatever air surrounds it. If you keep it laying around in your garage then the filters are dead and worthless after about a week or so.

Keep your mask in a tupperware container, no spiders, fresh filters.

:king:

Originally posted by jazzy maid

good call SMARTha stewart.

but is that a dramatic estimation, or a near exact amount of the longevity of the filters?

Yeah, good question....is a week the average life expectancy of a mask filter if left out?

or does it matter from brand to brand how long it lasts?

Originally posted by LENS

Yeah, good question....is a week the average life expectancy of a mask filter if left out?

or does it matter from brand to brand how long it lasts?

...this is pretty acurate...it's all covered in the safety thread i think...your mask filters two things...one: paint particles...chunks of overspray that can get in your lungs and nose and whatever, pretty damn bad...two: chemical particles...this is the more dangerous part, the stuff that gives you brain cancer and nerve damage and shit like that...this is also the part that wears out as your filter gets exposed to air...it's a good idea to keep your mask in some sort of air tight container (i use a ziploc freezer bag and a tupperware container) and replace filters every few months...you'll notice when your mask isn't filtering chemicals anymore, because you'll feel your head being buzzed even when you wear a mask...so go buy more filters...

unfortunately it seems that there isn't a set period of time that filters go bad after, so like porque said you just have to try and keep them airtight and change them as soon as you notice that you're buzzing or you smell fumes.

"Organic vapor filter cartridges stop working when their carbon granules become saturated with solvent. Most respirator users need to replace their cartridges more often than they realize. Also, individuals vary in their ability to smell solvents. If solvent odor is detected inside the mask by the wearer at any time, it means that the filters are saturated or that the fit is inadequate. Train workers to correct this situation immediately." --California Department of Health Services

i don't think you have to have a buzz from the toxins to experience health problems. There's less risk if you're in a well ventilated outdoor area, but if you're doing anything inside, or tunnels, or close up to your piece you're inhaling shit that you really don't want to.

...i always wear a mask...just look at your clothes when you're done painting, or the ground...it's covered in overspray...if you're not wearing a mask all of that stuff is going straight in to your lungs...i used to work at a hardware store and whenever people asked for spray paint i gave them a lecture on how they should wear a mask even if they're outside...

reading the instructions that came with my 3M mask it says that you should change your filter after 40 hours of use, or 30 days. whichever comes sooner. it also says that if you smell fumes or whatever before then, change them.

please note: these came with my 6000 series mask. i'm sure other filters have different life spans. but i wanted to post this as an example.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by doesntcrush@Sep 23 2004, 09:01 PM

fuck you hes no faggot or a toy. he just droped information for your punk ass to read so u wont die early from painting with used filters in your mask.

hell ya i agree with doesntcrush, shut the fuck up or say something meaning full, dont get me wrong i love to bitch out people when there being stupid, but he isnt so therefor yur the fucking retard, suck a dick and die of inhilation

Originally posted by doesntcrush@Sep 23 2004, 09:01 PM

fuck you hes no faggot or a toy. he just droped information for your punk ass to read so u wont die early from painting with used filters in your mask.

I dont even think u die earlier unless its like cancer related but then again everything causes cancer anymore rite ...but yea i just think u get some nasty side effects live nerve damage n crazy shit like that early hair loss my suggestion if u dont like wearin a mask or dont have one at least tie a bandana arround ur mouth and nose so the paint particles dont get in ur lungs or at least not as many thta or were a dust mask u know the ones with out charcoal filters on them

Originally posted by Baso@Sep 19 2004, 09:39 PM

If you keep your resperator in your garage or whatever, check to make sure there are no spiders in it before you strap that mother fucker to your face.

Spider bites hurt like hell :zombie:

glad i dont use a resporator :smiles:

Cant remember who said it, but yea im with you..I never wear masks, Even for upclose. Doesnt matter what its on never seem to wear masks, Its silly really sill..For the price of them, But i just paint liek i would if i was walking threw a city center, just myself (+ gloves)..

• 1 month later...

Archived