good books . . .

Guest SPLINTER

Guest SPLINTER

just that, post up some good books and a short description of why you thought they were good or what the books are about. currently im reading small books to get back in the habbit.

1984 - sure you guys know what that is.

The Catcher in the Rye - story about teenage angst.

Go Ask Alice - a real diary about a girl that gets involved with drugs and sex after she moves to a new town. really good story.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn- just a good book, quick read.

Ending the Explosion, ?- why there are too many of us, and thoughts on how to fix it.

Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness, by Pete Fromm- college kid by himself in a tent over winter (7 months) in mountains in Montana.

memoirs of a geisha - growing up in japan in the first half of the 20th century, very interesting, i coudlnt put it down

ender's game - science fiction, but not the stupid space adventure kind. about a genius kid being put through a military training program and getting used

ender's shadow - same as ender's game, but from the perspective of one of the other characters. perhaps even better than the original

Originally posted by SPLINTER

Go Ask Alice - a real diary about a girl that gets involved with drugs and sex after she moves to a new town. really good story.

who wrote this?

and right, a clockwork orange is very good, but buy the british version, 21 chapters, unlike 20 which is in the american version, leaves out key shit

perks of being a wallflower is very good also

Requeim for a dream (difficult read though, confusing mostly)

A wanting seed (good book, anthony burgess)

Fast Food Nation (shit, this was great)

The Jungle-Upton Sinclair. You have all heard of this, it was in those damn history books in elementary, middle, and high school. Its a great Book about Jurgis and the family, great book

Lord of the Rings-These will always be classics, always

The Illiad and The Odessy-you have heard of these too, they are fantastic books

On The Road-Jack Keruac, about a guy who just hitch hikes and what not around america, very good

Couldnt Keep It To Myself-good book here, Wally Lamb wrote it

Everybody has to read the hardy boys, you can truck through about 2 a day to complete the collection in less than a month

:lol: Goosebumps! :lol:

your kidding right ?

last time i read a book it was called "The Day The War Began" i think it was called, its first book of a series..

Yeah, there've been some good old books mentioned.

but here's the good shit.

Most anything by Salman Rushdie, seriously, this guy is like the best writer out there nowadays.

Ulysees by James Joyce, god if you like the language this book is like a weekend of sex drugs and rock & roll.

Homage To Catalonia- good WWI account by George Orwell.

The Sun Also Rises- Post War Europe by Hemmingway, lots of drinks and conversation.

Beloved this is a really good book by Toni Morisson, lots of ghosts and history, a world of literature in here.

The Ginger Man- J.P. Donlevy ughk fucking disgusting twerp of a man let loose on Ireland with his repressed homosexual friend and his abused wife and child. Fucking awfully good read.

The Flander's Panel, by Reverte' really good modern mystery.

The Poor Mouth by Flann O'Brien translated from Gaelic this is a very quirky book.

Originally posted by space base

how to become multi-orgasmic male.

hahahahahahahha I read that book!!!!!!!

Other good books :

The mole people - a womens experiences with the people who live in the subway tunnels under NYC. great book.

Darma bums by Jack Keruac - similar to on the road and just as good... the first chapter or so is about riding freights.

Originally posted by square

memoirs of a geisha - growing up in japan in the first half of the 20th century, very interesting, i coudlnt put it down

ender's game - science fiction, but not the stupid space adventure kind. about a genius kid being put through a military training program and getting used

ender's shadow - same as ender's game, but from the perspective of one of the other characters. perhaps even better than the original

bump. ive read memoirs of a geisha like, umm, 5 times now? im readin genders game. cant put it down. also reading dantes inferno, and harry potter the chamber of secrets.

by the way. for all you fucks that think catcher in the rye is just about teenage angst, youre missing the fucking point of the whole fucking book. its about innocence. preserving innocence. the loss of innocence. why innocence is beautiful and important. thats why its weird when assassins leave that shit around after they kill someone and they bother to mention this kind of things in movies like conspiracy theory. the killers are killing to try and preserve or protect innocence, and do what they think is right in their heads. thats what all jd salingers fucking stories and books are about. theyre all about innocence.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

"Area 7", by Matthew Reilly.

Mind-numbing action thriller. In the course of one (1) hour, the hero manages to hijack a rogue space shuttle in outer space, destroy a Chinese space station, come back down to Earth, blow up a helicopter, and toss a serial killer who ate his victims into a pool full of angry Komodo dragons. I can't even begin to explain how ill this book is.

Fuck "intelligent" literature.

I'm into "intelligent literature" cause I'm not stimulated by anything else.

Good reads lately:

Anacalypsis by Godfrey Higgens Esq.- This book is so deep, it is the entire history of languages, religions, and nations, from a nonbiased viewpoint. It even describes the original language. The original religion, everything. Even prehistory. This guy spent 10 hours a day for 20 years writing this book. That is some serious hard work and it shows. He was persecuted and everything and his work has (of course) never recieved the acclaim it deserves to be in the hall of scholars.

Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco: This reads with encyclopedic detail the situations in this story. Much, much occult history, and alchemy and science and majic and all those "dark" and "forbidden" studies.

The Illuminatus Trilogy, by Robert Anton Wilson: I just read the first book. It was good, it was interesting, it was full of that which makes life grand. But I'm not sure where it's going. I guess I have to finish the trilogy.

I want to get "The Symbiotic Man"....

Last book I read was "The outsider" by albert camus. I was about to start "notes from the underground" by Dostoyevsky but I've decided to read "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami first. Just barely started, but its intriguing so far....

oh shit, me too, i better get that book fast, fast.

i have so much to read right now. i just finished a thomas mcguane, and was about to start reading more cookbooks, but not now.

whoever said orson scott card, man i loved those books when i was in high school.

Re: Re: Re: good books . . .

Originally posted by square

i didnt think requiem for a dream was confusing at all? depressing as fuck though..

yeah, its depressing. Its just confusing at the beginning when you arent used to no quotes and not paragraphs and sich, im used to it now

though

............................recent books?

anne rice blackwood farm

anne rice blood canticle

it may not be everybodies cup of tea but with these two books she combines the witching hour storyline and the vampire chronicles into the same book in blackwood farm...aaand then all hell brakes loose in blood canticle...wich i'm not done with yet......i got kicked out of waldens for spilling a smoothie all over some nancy drew books.......i'm too cheap to buy the damn book.....

oh ya.........

toad sorry man i'm currently moving so i wont be able to get at you for some time.. let me know how monster massive went

yeah i guess requiem was a bit strange at the beginning, but after a while it just seemed natural that it was written that way

Originally posted by 23578

whoever said orson scott card, man i loved those books when i was in high school.

haha straight up

although the books that came after enders game werent very good

Archived