Good Books...

Young Einstein

I'd like to start a thread about books.... I know lots of you are brilliant people, and a lot of that brilliance is due to reading. If all of you could post your favorite book that would be greatly appreciated.... I know everyone has a few books that really inspire them and they go back to time and time again.... I could use the suggestions for some reading over the holiday.... thank you.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"Walden" by Henry Thoreau

fucking awesome. makes me want to build a shack in the woods somewhere nice and remove myself from society. try and get one of the editions with some of his other stuff included with it, like "walking" and "on the duty of civil disobedience" cause they are also worth reading, but not really big enough to justify buying by themselves.

i really cant think of a favorite. right now im reading 'still she haunts me'

its about the author of the adventures of alice in wonderland, and his infatuation with a 7 year old girl. well, she was seven when he first became obsessed with her, but he knew her until she was 11. yeah. good stuff.

Originally posted by Tesseract

Has anyone read 'Mein Kampf" (sp?)

Dont get offended i aint no nazi, i'm curious,

anyone?

Leave PC behind

i never have, but ive always wanted to. that intersts me alot, i just want to see what all the hype is about.

Guest Jan Ulrich

bookwormz

ham on rye- charles bukowski

me talk pretty someday- david sedaris

anything by salinger

there's a book by this comedian named mark merrin that i can guarentee will be worth reading but i forgot the title. pick it up if you can find it. he's shit your pants funny.

Guest Handjob

still tryig to complete the Kerouac set.

Reading Big Sur right now, then I plan to read Satori in Paris and The Pic.

Also reading Moby Dick, and rereading The Catcher in the Rye (its a once a year thing...). Also planning on rereading The Subterranians, a great book for the heat broken suckers out there...

Guest professor poopatronic

the sirens of titan- kurt vonnegut

ham on rye- charles bukowski (good call)

on the road- jack kerouac

for whom the bell tolls- ernest hemingway

i just finished 1984 today, and the "political rhetoric" that you speak of was to me hte book's high point. the story is really good too, but the theories behind itare what really interested me.

Originally posted by professor poopatronic

i just finished 1984 today

I'm just about to start that book, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Anyways......

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

Mila 18 - Leon Uris (just finished this one. about the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. Great book. I'd be interested to know if anyone else here has read it, as it seemed like a somewhat obscure book.)

A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov

Dune - Frank Herbert (but the sequels sucked, i only got to halfway into the 3rd book of the series)

The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R Tolkien

bah i could go on and on, its just so hard to pick favorites among so many different books......

ANY! david sedaris.

phantom tolbooth (yes!) allready said.

autobiography of malcolm x

breakfast of champions (hilarious drawings too)

i dunno theres more.

i often read books i find in the garbage. 1 in 5 seems to be pretty awesome and you usually havent heard of them.

-jerk182

-EUROPE-

HEY EUROPE , IF YOU LIKED THAT BOOK YOU SHOULD DEFINATELY READ " THE ICE MASTER " BY jennifer niven , ITS SIMILAR BUT IT WAS A GREAT READ AS WELL!

I ALSO SUGGEST:

THE CELESTINE PROPHECY BY JAMES REDFIELD

A PROMISE OF JUSTICE BY DAVID PROTESS

I'm reading........

Currently, i am reading this book on science, physics, esp, the paranormal........Called " The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot. It's really really cool, and it gives you new theorys and ideas on how the universe, how our planet, how people, how our brains work. Its really freaking cool.................alot of the book has to be comprehended before reading on, but its definately worth it. Like out of body experiences, esp, dreaming.....it deals with all of those and more.

If anybodys interested in science, how the brain works, and a new look on how things work..........a book to really try and use your brain in areas you've never thought of before.

peace

Guest Jan Ulrich

labatt 50

on the road was one of the biggest disappointments ever. i had friends hype kerouac up long before i read it, and let me tell you, on the road was one hell of a pointless journey. i haven't read the dharma bums yet, simply because i was so let down by on the road.

the moksha diaries-aldous huxley (if you're interested in LSD and mescaline and such)

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Paperback novels that were just TOO FUCKING ILL to pass:

"Cyclops", by Clive Cussler

"The Devil's Teardrop", by Jeffrey Deaver. Goddamn that book is good. I never knew I could read 400+ pages in less than 24 hours.

Nonfiction:

"The Elegant Universe", by Brian Greene

"The Book of the Cosmos: Imagining the Universe from Heraclitus to Hawking", anthology compiled by Dennis Richard Danielson

And the one that's sure to become a favorite once I get around to reading it, "Godel, Escher, and Bach", by Douglas Hofstadter. Beer,

El Mamerro

Originally posted by T.T Boy

Long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela.

i really had no info about him before i read tis book. even if you dont find him interesting its a damn good read none the less.

i also like mordecai richler books.

iam readin a long walk to freedom right now...i also read no logo just before this that is a pretty good book..

Archived