Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Good Books

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by MESTHREE, Nov 2, 2001.

1. MESTHREE

MESTHREE Dirty Dozen Crew

Just thought Id bring this one up again. Anyone have any books they've read recently that they want to recomend?
    heres a few Ive read:

the sound and the fury - william faulkner hard read....hard to get used to some of the reginal language and time shifts but really nice desciptive stuff in it.

Memoirs of a dutiful daughter - Simone de Beauvoire - really really good. Kinda girly for some of you guys perhaps but if you like philosophy this book is awesome. Im going to read everything shes ever written.

Animal Farm - George Orwell I never read this in highschool and its short so I just thought Id read it.....really good.

A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth - again kinda girly maybe. its about india set in the 50's I believe. I learned alot from reading this one.

And right now Im reading on the road - jack Kerouac Its so damn awesome. I want to quit school and travel so badly.

anyone else?

2. metallix

metallix Elite Member

3. beardo

beardo Guest

The Cosmic Serpent

DNA and the Origins of Knowledge

Molecular biologist works with ayahuasca shamans and concludes they were given the knowledge of the DNA double-helix. Combines personal adventure, study of Amazon ethnobotany, and investigation into sources of knowledge, intelligence, and consciousness. Extensive notes, bibliography, and index.

Jeremy Narby 1998; Tarcher (Putnam) 0-87477-911-1, hb #CSP 22.95
    271 pg; also 0-87477-964-2, pb #CSPF 12.95

4. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

dude, beardo, if you just wanna learn how to grow hydro, there are books tailored specificly for that. you dont have to read the rest of the mumbo jumbo. unless your trying to validate your muchroom intake as as being 'religious' then i guess, go ahead...

5. beardo

beardo Guest

6. bumdigger

bumdigger Guest

the plot irvine wallace
    the red dragon thomas harris(pre silence of the lambs)
    the stand
    the last don

7. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

A Peoples History of the United States

8. bobobi11

bobobi11 Elite Member

I have so many books, from every genre, that it is hard to recommend ones. Currently about 800-1000 books in my library.

On the philosophical bent list you have started...

Ken Kesey - Sailor's Song, Sometimes a Great Notion. Most people read Cuckoo's Nest and stop, his other work is great as well.

Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale. Really interesting book about what would happen if enviromental pollution rendered the majority of the population sterile.

Eddy Clearwater - Reservation Blues. Great book about modern life on a reservation.

Charles Frazier - Cold Mountain Diary. This is about a soldiers walk home after the Civil War. Very moving.

For those more into bestseller type books....

Michael Crichton - Timeline. If you have not read this book it is a must read. Totally different from his other stuff, it involves archaeology and time travel to medeviel (Law?) times.

9. THE LAW

THE LAW Guest

lizard music by daniel pinkwater
    hell, anything by daniel pinkwater...in the children's section.

THE LAST GURU
    SLAVES OF SPIEGEL
    SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVACADO OF DEATH
    SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE BACONBURG HORROR
    ALAN MENDELSOHN THE BOY FROM MARS
    WORMS OF KUKUMLIMA

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
    The Little Prince - Antoine de St. Euxbeury

these are the most profound books I've ever read.
    They're like the Te Tao Ching...
    you can read it in a day, over over a lifetime.

11. The last book i read was:

Sensitive Chaos : The Creation of Flowing Forms in Water and Air
    by Theodor Schwenk. I highly recomend it.The foreword is written by Zack Custo (the oceanologist) and the whole book is about how water moves and behaves as an element and how everything in this world moves with the same way...Great images and diagrams also.Beardo will like it for sure.

*The heart of darkness by Conrad

*"Keeper in the rye" by J.D.Sallinger($$)

and two books by the same author i've mentioned in the past:

"The Beach" and "Tesseract" (!) by Alex Garland, penguin books

The beach is the book that the movie was based on but if you hated the movie(i did) you will love the book.Seeking will like this.

Oh, i forgot "High Fidelity" by nick hornby penguin books again
    If you liked the movie you'll love the book

and "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture" by Apostolos Doxiadis.
    A novel on mathematics,like the movie "pi"

12. KASTsystem

KASTsystem Member

The Fountainhead - by Ayn Rand
    The Society of the Spectacle - by Guy DeBord
    T.A.Z. Temporary Autonomous Zone - by Hakim Bey (you can read it free online: Temporary Autonomous Zone by Hakim Bey )
    The Masterpiece - by Emile Zola

13. Anyone

Anyone Member

American Pharoh

Good book about Chicago's old corrupt ass mayor Richard M. Daley. I always wondered why Chicago was so fucked up, racialy and finacially. This book answered a lot of my questions.

14. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

nomad...awesome book, much props..heres some of mine...

..I am the cheese...i think this is the title..
    At dawn we slept..
    Killer Angels..
    Anything by Chompsky...
    Deffinatly animal farm, good choice mes!
    Jurassic Park..loved this years ago..
    These are just a few i have sittin near me that i love...still not finished with at dawn we slept...its great...

15. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

The apprenticeship of duddy kravitz- Mordecai Richler