GOOD ART COLLEGES YOU KNOW OF?

Chesty Laru

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

I'll teach you how to draw for half the price of an art school...

OR

Since its abovious you have a trust fund because 90% of art school kids do, why don't you just go get hooked on a glamorous drug like heroin, live on the street for a year than use your parents connections to write a memoir about it and sell you art off the name recognition from your book...yo

tt says, moooooooooost kids that go to art school are there to waste mom and dads money on hieneken at hipster bars, then go to "art class" and "do their own thing" in some sort of "post post re modernized abstract glue crayons and macaroni to paper and call it defiance of pop art" kind of way.

but, then again, there are some really talented people who go to art school... and will get degrees and do something with their lives. i dont know about you, but if i had the chance to move to stockholm and design wierd chairs for ikea and drink tuborg all day id do it in a second. you can get good degress from art school.... just maybe not in the glueing macaroni department, or something like say....... feminist paintings, or feminist history, or watercolours.

As for Philadelphia:

The University of the Arts(Pretty Decent school I'm thinking about going but I can't get over the price...)

The Are Institute of Philadelphia (Two Years...)

Hussian (Super Elistest Illustration school that breeds amazing artists)

Tyler School of Art (Part of Temple University)

Moore College of Art (All girls school so you may or may no apply. Summer classes are open to guys though. . . if you're into wasting money)

Antonelli(Two Years, only Photography and Graphic Design. Quick and simple put as much info into your head as humanly possible.)

I think I covered most of the schools...

...i would personally recomend attending a public school that has a very good art program...there are plenty of these and the price is way less than private 'art colleges'...but if money is no object...or you're not too good with the books...then you should figure out exactly what you want to study...painting, sculpture, graphic design, illustration, etc....and pick your school based on how well ranked that department is...

Originally posted by Telo

Art school is for nancies..

If you like art, just do it.. Dont have someone try to teach you how to think..

sense you no make...

art school helps you refine your technique. It doesn't enhance your creativity, it lets you express yourself in more ways than you may have been able to previously.

This is all relative to the student of course..

if you are one of those artsy scenester hair over one eye type kids, art school is for you. i know about 6? kids that go to art school. a few in SVA, purchase, and one of the million artschools in boston. they have all pretty much said the same thing. that being, more then half the kids are "scenester looking trying to be weird and emotional." yadda yadda yadda. and that its not as "social" as a regular college *that offers a major in an art department. i was thinking of going to artschool for some time, but realized that i wouldnt fit in at all cause im just a NORMAL (in comparison to artschool kids) trouble making kid that likes to party, drink, fuck, and party more.

but for the most part, id say go to a regular college that has a major in art, that way you meet "fun, social, normal" people that arent worried about to paint a childish obscure looking human figure. or something.

then again, people have different storys. but i think im right for the most part.

on a side note..

so i was in milwaulkee and they have an art college..school?

so i was on the third floor withthis hippy type chick and she tells me to fill up my backpack with whatever i want..

the fuck am i gonna do with 24 colorless blenders..?

moogs// fuck a stoplight camera..beer

I go to Pratt... then again my parents are multi-millionaires, I have emo hair and I wear really ironic clothing such as "Somebody in Kansas Loves Me" teeshirts and stripped knee socks over my tight jeans.

Yeh, sure. Anyway, I hear what the kids are saying, I have to deal with that shit on a daily basis, but you learn to ignore and spot the normal kids easily after a while.

Pratt is a really good school, extremely difficult. Freshman year they try to get as many people as they can to leave, the workload is fucking horrendous and annoying, especially if it barely reflects what you want to do with your life [im in graphic design, I was stuck cutting pieces of colored paper and drawing nudes for 6 hours a day, but thats only foundation year and its understandable as to why I had to take those courses]. Pratt ALSO is fucking expensive, unlike a lot of this heroin and coke sniffers, my parents aren't giving me a trust fund, so I basically live off of what I can, and luckily they do supply me with money for food so my ass doesn't starve.

What do you want to major in?

From what I have seen the best art school to attend (curriculum, location, students) is SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design).

Not only do they offer some of the most diverse classes (furniture, metals, fibers, as well as performing arts and visual arts) but it is located in a sleepy southern town with spanish moss and palm trees. it's 20 minutes from the beach. That's the place to go if that's your thing.

The Art Institute of Atlanta has some cool students, but from reading all the posts I have to agree with the the mahority and say most art school kids are fags.

Your school decision should ultimately rest on a variety of factors reflecting what you wish to study... what career you wish to persue, what kind of financial aid you are eligible for(if any), and location. Location is especially important because chances are you will want to live off campus if you goto an art college. I went to the Art Institute of Atlanta for 3 quarters and while the school was nice, and there were some cool kids... the mahority of people in the campus apartments were fags... Pokemon posters on the wall... you name it. So i got the hell outa there...

If you just want to learn to draw or paint or something you can do that on your own and with a mentor... but if you want to build a career in commercial arts then you definately want to get into the right school. Something to also keep in mind is kind a school with a good coop program and relations for internships.

And always remember, if you work for UPS your school is paid for!