1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Goliath...The Bird Eating SPIDER

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by -Rage-, Mar 22, 2002.

1. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

Goliath...The Bird Eating SPIDER

Discussion started by -Rage- - Mar 22, 2002

http://www.tarantulas.com/images/goliath.jpg'>

[img]http://learn.tnaqua.org/amazing/images/goliath_bird_eating_tarantula.JPG'>

Goliath Birdeater Tarantula Theraphose blondi

Tarantulas are generally large, hairy nocturnal spiders. They vary in color from brown with pinkish markings to jet black. Tarantulas are found in tropical and subtropical areas of the world such as Africa, North and South America, Australia, and the Indo-Pacific region. The name tarantula is derived from the city of Taranto, Italy and a dance performed there. History tells us that the Tarantella dance was performed to cure the effects of a tarantula's bite. Some believe the story to be just an excuse to dance around wildly! The first spider to be called a tarantula was actually a wolf spider. Wolf spiders are not closely related to the theraphosid spiders we know as tarantulas.

Some tarantulas grow as large as dinner plates. Tarantulas do not spin webs typical of many spiders, instead, they live in burrows. They are ambush predators who lie in wait for prey to come within their reach. They hunt using sensory organs on their legs to detect the vibrations of moving prey. Tarantulas inject their venom using fangs located on their chelicerea. Their venom pre-digests their prey allowing them to drink their meal with their mouth parts. Tarantula venom is not lethal to humans, but allergic reactions may cause life-threatening problems. Tarantulas utilize their venom as a secondary line of defense against predators. Many species possess urtricating hairs that work like porcupine quills to be thrown at predators. The term urtricating means irritating or inflaming.

Like other spiders, a cuticle or exoskeleton covers tarantulas. The fine hairs all over the body are called setae. Tarantulas are mygalomorph spiders whose fangs are used to strike downward and pull the prey against the body. Tarantulas extend their legs using blood pressure rather than muscles. Water loss creates problems for the tarantula because it lowers its blood pressure which makes walking difficult.

Although the tarantula may present a dangerous presence, it has several predators. Predators include the coatimundi, a raccoon relative and, most dangerous to the tarantula, the tarantula hawk wasps. A female wasp paralyzes the tarantula with a sting and then stuffs it into its burrow, where she lays her eggs on its body. The wasp eggs hatch and feed on the still living but paralyzed tarantula.

SPECIES INFO
    Golitath Birdeater Tarantula
    Common Name: Goliath Birdeater Tarantula, Baboon Spider, Monkey Spider and Mygale
    Scientific Name: Theraphose blondi
    Size: 12 inches (30.48 cm)
    Range: Northeastern South America
    Habitat: Upland rain forest
    Diet: Small mammals, lizards and birds
    Aquarium Diet: Rats and Mice

[img]http://www.saddleworth.net/gedspage/images/Ged-spider02.jpg'>
    "It's not as big as my penis!"

-Rage- - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

-Rage- - Replied Mar 22, 2002

Oh...and uh.....

[​IMG]

3. Eski

Eski Guest

Eski - Replied Mar 22, 2002

now theres a big fucken spider....

4. Tree Humper

Tree Humper Banned

Tree Humper - Replied Mar 22, 2002

the hump meister gives a thumbs down to bugs/insects...or maybe it's because i'm scared of them.

man "bling bling" would look nasty if it was to get smashed. lots o' guts

Tree Humper - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  5. teister

teister 12oz Senior Member

teister - Replied Mar 22, 2002

Damn, those are some big arachnids. I might poop myself if I woke up with one of them on my face.

teister - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Kr430n5_666 - Replied Mar 22, 2002

http://www.netgoth.org.uk/people/9826.jpg'>
    "i dont know whats going on, but i do know that i'm gonna have to smoke this blizzface right now..."

Kr430n5_666 - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  7. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Mar 22, 2002

It's still no Camel Spider though. Beer,

El Mamerro

8. SayOne

SayOne Guest

SayOne - Replied Mar 22, 2002

man if i saw that i would probably scream like a little bitch

9. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

-Rage- - Replied Mar 22, 2002

me too. I'd get a size 16 shoes and beat the fuck out of it too.

10. aederone

aederone 12oz Member

aederone - Replied Mar 22, 2002

that first picture took a few seconds to load....so as i was reading it popped up and i got scared...damn spiders

aederone - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: