Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Going Vegan

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by A Fire Inside, Feb 7, 2002.

1. A Fire Inside

A Fire Inside Senior Member

I've been a vegetarian for 4 years, and I'm making an attempt to go vegan. I was just wondering if there where any other vegan's on here who can share some good food's, brands, recipe's and whatnot to eat. Thanks.

2. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

eat meat...save a soybeans life.

3. Iris

Iris Banned

being vegan isn't as trendy as it used to be probably because it is not very good for you. you need both saturated and unsaturated fats in your diet. plants do not make saturated fats. animals are the only producer of saturated fats so you need that in your diet. cholesterol (saturated fats) is used to make sex hormones which is even more important when you are younger to make sure that your body developes properly. basically if you don't eat animal products you could fuck up your nuts.

4. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Dude asked for recipes and shit, not debate about his choices. We already have meat-or-not threads, let's keep this one on topic.

5. dude, the part about the necessity of saturated fat is not fully true. the point about being really fucking careful is. one of my ex-gf's was vegan, she completely stunted her growth, and fucked up some of her shit. my friend who just went back to being vegetarian, lost 35 pounds while being vegan, your blood type is a huge factor, see a trainer about this. some blood types require atleast dairy within your system (this relates to the necessity of animals) to maintain constant bodyweight. my friend was using protein shakes and everything, and he still lost it. being vegan is really respectable, but its really dangerous too. i did it for 3 months, i was sick the whole time, even with hard work about minerals and whatnot.

if you can do it, awesome, but its really fucking hard. good luck.

6. Iris

Iris Banned

how can you dispute simple biology?

7. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

vegan recipie:
    bean pie.

1. get some beans
    2.dont add nothing else
    3.cook 10 minutes or until soggy
    4. serve

hahahahahhaa...just messin witcha!

8. bug

bug Guest

i agree that it should be a recipe and advice thread, but that stuff about saturated fat and cholesterol is just incorrect. Saturated fats are found in nuts, legumes, vegetables, and all sorts of plant products. almost all sources have both saturated AND unsaturated fat. Canola Oil is popular nowadays because it has less than 10% saturated fat. on the other end of the spectrum is palm kernel oil and cocnut oils, which is over 90% saturated fat. a good way to tell what has a significant amount of saturated fat is if it is liquid or solid at room temperature. liquid at room temperature means its more unsaturated, and solid means its more saturated. animal fat is mostly saturated thats why lard and butter is solid at room temperature. margerine played on this fact and said "hey, its vegetable oil, not animal fat" well, all they did was saturate the fat with Hydrogen atoms to make it saturated oil just like animal fat. even worse, this man made lipid became its own class called TransFatty Acids which are even worse for you than natural saturated fat. thats proboly where people get misinformed about where saturated and unsaturated fats come from.

one thing that plant foods lack is cholesterol. cholesterol is produced by animals, not plants. we humans, animals, make our own cholesterol, so i haven't found anywhere in any literature any negative side effects of a cholesterol-free diet.

One thing that plants have that animal products lack is Fiber, which is essential to proper maintainence to your digestive track. the way i see it is, an all plant (choletserol-free)diet is a lot more beneficial than an all-meat (fiber-deficient)diet.

The one thing i must add and is the most IMPORTANT is VITAMIN B-12

Vitamin B-12 is the one link that proves that veganism is unnatural for humans. this vitamin is used in trace amounts and is stored in the body for up to five years. so you will go years being a vegan before you notice damage to your nervous system. THIS DAMAGE IS IRREVERSABLE. don't fuck around. you will have twitches, or slow responses or some kind of symptom of nervous system damage if you don't consume B-12, and you will never rid yourself of the problem.

The solution to B-12 is supplements. the supplements are made of a type of yeast that produces B-12. Called Nutritional Yeast. Or pills. Buy B-12 Lozenges from your health food store and suck on one every morning. worked for me. Yeast is neither an animal nor a plant.

yes, as someone said veganism is looks unhealthy. veganism itself isn't necessarily unhealthy, but the diets of vegans are usually lacking in essential nutrients. a healthy vegan diet consists of whole grains--like brown rice, WHOLE wheat products (NOT "wheat". this "wheat bread" is just like white flour but just unbleached, the nutrients were still removed). you need to eat fresh vegetables, usually dark green like spinach, broccoli--the lettuce at taco bell is practically nutritionally void--these vegetables make up for nutrients not consumed in dairy, as well as tons of antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals. eat tons of nuts, fresh fruit, beans, etc...

if you follow these guidelines, you should remain healthy. if you becopme vegan by just cutting out pizza and omelettes, but eat just boca burgers on white bread with ketchup and iceberg lettuce, you'll wither away and people will think you're on crack.

basically i'm saying, if you don't have the dedication to eat totally granola-head health food, don't become a vegan, because you will only sacrifice your health.

whoa, longest post i've ever typed. :dazed:

9. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

10. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Do they make soy Hot dogs or anything. I love meat!
    [​IMG]

11. chaos is me

chaos is me New Jack

i hate to argue this because it never gets anyone anywhere, and i normally respect anyones opinions, and i do yours, but i just want to say that i think those that are willing to put effort forth into something that is important to them, and those that aren't willing to put any effort forth, say a lot about themselves by doing so. I'm not vegan, just vegetarian, and i have no desire to argue with anyone.

i will have to say though, that bit about saturated fats is not true. It is not necessary for everybody. and it's not a matter of simple biology, no biology is simple.

and yes, they make vegetarian hot dogs, called smart dogs. shit rules.

12. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

break out the boka burgers!!!

13. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

nope , no way , never..............
    i like meat......cant give it up ...
    especially if it means having to put effort into eating the right things in different restauaunts etc.......no thanx

but has anyone had tofu , is it good ?

14. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

i'm a meat eater, but would never go vegan because of one reason : DEDICATION. if you don't have the dedication to make sure you're getting everything you need, your diet won't work. a friend of mine was vegan for years and he looked like he was dying most of the time cos he just wasn't eating properly.

15. 455

455 Guest

no thank you.