going overseas to help

Giving Tree

ok, i KNOW there has to be some americorps/red cross/ save the world types here, and since i'm really only involved with a few small charities i don't know where i should start or who could help me.

i want to go help out with the tsunami disaster... after acessing my situation and how i've been feeling, i decided i want to go help. basically i'm looking for weblinks or phone numbers to organizations that will ship me over there to help.. this is the change i need. this should help me figure things out. I've never been happier than when i did charity work, and what better.

so yeah, post up.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Tesseract@Dec 30 2004, 06:16 PM

it frightens me that you didnt just google red cross before you made a 12oz thread...

google red cross?? hahaha.. dude i have been looking into it for about 3 days... best i find on red cross is a place for monitary donation. i've been to the americorps, americare, etc.. looking and it just seems like they are looking for MONITARY donations. i really want to give my HANDS and TIME. thats why i posted this. i noticed there were a few others here who did charity work of some sort and hoped that someone might know something.

i'm STILL looking, just looking for a hand in the right direction. odds are really good that an international company/program would help me and get better use from me than a u.s. only program.

but thanks for the thought. i've thought this over a decent while and it just keeps becoming more realistic and more desireable. i am capable of going and in a situation that i could easily put my life on hold here, and it's what my heart says to do, so i am.

giving: at least trying.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 30 2004, 06:58 PM

the chances of finding someone that will pay for you to head over there are slim to none. a well meaning white man is good and all, but they don't lack manpower, they lack resources.

unless you're willing to throw a ticket on your visa, it's probably not going to happen.

thats not true, i found red cross red crescent who are taking "recruits" of sorts, and so is americorps.

noone pays for you, of course... it's "charity" work. but the flight is free... and the return flight is equally free..

and i work for a HUGE corporation who would LOVE to have the P.R.

so yeah, it's just finding a place that wants me. :burn:

i know no one will pay you for the work, but i'll honestly be surprised if they'll even cover your flight. unless you have something more important than simply manual labor to offer, i just can't see it being worth it to them.

not trying to burst your bubble, just being realistic.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 30 2004, 07:09 PM

i know no one will pay you for the work, but i'll honestly be surprised if they'll even cover your flight. unless you have something more important than simply manual labor to offer, i just can't see it being worth it to them.

not trying to burst your bubble, just being realistic.

oh no i'm TOTALLY realistic. the only reason i even started looking into it is because my friend recently left with the red cross to do the same thing, but he has been with them for a long while.

i'm just looking into the idea. if NOTHING comes of it i won't be broken hearted or anything, just seeing if it's a realistic option. as my friend put it, there are over 1 million displaced individuals, all of which need care.. i am a med. cert. individual and i have a language or two under the belt, so i'm just looking.. again this is just a random post on a random web-board, not a gospel or even a well-thought out plan. just a "i wonder" type situation...

no bubbles burst. thanks for trying to keep me in check.

giving: just trying to do something with himself.

just to put it in here for those interested, I've also been strongly considering going back to the camp I worked at before. they have year-round programs and things of that nature to "hire" me in at, free rent and whatnot. I don't know.. I am just looking at opportunities. this seems to be a hot topic so I asked.

just want to do something.

giving: DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

thats my point, there are a million displaced individuals who have nothing else to do but un-displace themselves.

ha.

if you do find someone willing to send you over, let me know about it. i've been moving in the direction of 'disaster relief/dr's without borders' for the last couple years. just haven't taken the final step and applied with someone.

I checked out the peace corp after reading this thread. They have a lengthy application process and seem to require a college degree or some manner of skilled trade, and since my skills are limited to cooking, programming, and photography, I doubt I qualify. I'd like to help as well, so keep me updated.

Yeah peace corp are kinda some bitches about working with them. But I guess they can't just take anybody.

I just found this in my mailbox.

Dear MoveOn member,

The tsunami in southern Asia and Africa may be the worst natural disaster of our time. More than 116,000 lives were wiped out within hours. The toll in death and suffering from smashed cities, broken families, rampant disease, and crippled economies cannot even be calculated. In the face of this horror, MoveOn members have poured in requests to help, asking how we can push through our sadness and lend a hand.

Rising to this challenge is at the heart of global leadership, and the world is depending on us. The U.S. government can lead billions of dollars of aid into this relief effort, if it chooses. Americans are generous and ready to step forward, but the U.S. Congress and the Bush administration have made a weak initial contribution to the effort -- first offering $15 million and then $35 million when they came under pressure. Clearly, we can do more.

Let Congress and the President know that Americans are supporting strong leadership in this relief effort -- that millions of lives are at stake and we have to help. In this hour of need, if America chooses to embrace our role as a world leader, we can have an unparalleled impact. Send a message to our leaders at:

http://www.moveon.org/tsunamirelief/

But we can't just wait for this Congress to move. We can help directly, as individuals, and save lives today. Our friends at Oxfam are already scrambling on the front lines to fight off starvation and disease -- and beginning to rebuild. Because Oxfam has worked for years with grassroots groups in the hardest hit areas, they were able to mobilize local leadership to help survivors immediately after the tsunami hit. And Oxfam will be there for the long-term, helping communities recover and regain their ability to meet basic needs. Oxfam needs to raise $5 million immediately to provide safe water, sanitation, food, shelter, and clothing to 36,000 families in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and India. Your contribution can make this possible.

Please give what you can, at:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=631

Of course, Oxfam is only one of dozens of great organizations, like UNICEF, CARE, and the Red Cross/Red Crescent, rushing to help with the immediate need. Their efforts give the victims a head start, but it won't be enough unless the great nations of the world step forward in a big way for the long-term challenges.

Indonesia, by far the hardest hit country, is also the world's largest Muslim nation. Their estimated death toll stands at 85,000 -- in some areas, 1 out of 4 people have already been killed. Now it's time for America to show its true colors. We want to be known as a nation that leads the world with compassion, generosity, and community -- not with disastrous foreign military adventures. We are a nation that values human life, family, and extending freedom and opportunity to where it is most needed. We must now reach out in a serious way to do just that.

The $35 million offered by the Bush administration seems like a lot of money, but it's insignificant compared to what's needed in a disaster relief effort than spans continents and is expected to be the most expensive in history. To put it in perspective, we're spending $35 million in Iraq every 7 hours. (The Bush administration is about to ask for another $80 billion to cover the next installment of this tragic occupation.)1

We can and will do better. Thanks for doing your part to show the true generosity of the American spirit.

Sincerely,

--Adam, Ben, Carrie, Eli, James, Joan, Justin, Laura, Mari, Noah, Rosalyn, and Wes

The MoveOn.org Team

December 30th, 2004

P.S. Just as we were finalizing this email, we received a note from 17-year-old MoveOn member Annalise Blum, who has a great idea for New Year's Eve parties. Here's her email:

Dear Joan and Wes,

We arrived in Cambodia today and turned on the TV in our hotel room to learn more about the Tsunami. It has been horrifying to follow the rising death toll and especially learn about all of the children who have died. I really wanted to do something when I learned that just as many more people could die from lack of access to clean water and the spread of disease if not enough is done quickly.

I realized that New Years Eve Parties would be a perfect place to have people contribute online to the relief effort. Someone in our group came up with the name "Throw out a lifeline Online."

If MoveOn were to send out a message to its members suggesting that they turn on a computer and donate money to one of the relief organizations at their new years eves parties, it could save thousands of lives. Maybe this sort of message would be a welcome opportunity for its members to help people directly. I would greatly appreciate anything you could do to help.

Below I have written a message I am planning send to my friends. MoveOn, if interested, could send out something similar.

Throw Out A Lifeline Online

Help the Victims of the South Asian Tsunami

As most of you undoubtedly know, many parts of the eastern coastal regions of South Asia were hit on Sunday, December 26th, with one of the largest tsunamis in recent history. The death toll of the tsunami, caused by an earthquake of 9.0 magnitude, has already risen to over 60,000 people. All regions affected are in desperate need of clean water, food, temporary shelter and medical help to the survivors. Some estimate that one third of the dead are children.

World Health Organization expert David Nabarro told reporters "there is certainly a chance that we could have as many dying from communicable diseases as from the tsunami".

Start this year off by contributing money to an effective aid organization to prevent this humanitarian catastrophe from getting even worse. If you are going to a New Year's Eve Party, make it meaningful by turning on a computer and encouraging everyone to donate.

Footnote:

1. Bush Says America Will Lead Global Relief Effort, Washington Post, December 30, 2004

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Dec29.html

I know this is a little off the topic but you might be able to find something in this book called "Alternatives to the Peace Corp" published by an ngo out of San fran. It has lists of ngos and organizations that do that sort of work. I also have some information if people are looking to do work in South or Central America. I hope that helps

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by T.T Boy@Dec 30 2004, 10:56 AM

shouldnt you join the USARMY!!!!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA. kill towelheads. kill kill kill die die

usa forever

mptv1.gif

AMERICA...FUCK YEAH

HERE TO SAVE THE MOTHAFUCKIN DAY YEAH

AMERICA...FUCK YEA

SO LICK MY ASS AND SUCK ON MY BALLS

Originally posted by villain@Dec 30 2004, 05:52 PM

...the U.S. Congress and the Bush administration have made a weak initial contribution to the effort -- first offering $15 million and then $35 million when they came under pressure....To put it in perspective, we're spending $35 million in Iraq every 7 hours.

god. this is exactly why i wish america was wiped out.

we're fucking pathetic.