1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

going overseas to help

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Giving Tree, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Giving Tree

Giving Tree 12oz Senior Member

going overseas to help

Discussion started by Giving Tree - Dec 30, 2004

ok, i KNOW there has to be some americorps/red cross/ save the world types here, and since i'm really only involved with a few small charities i don't know where i should start or who could help me.

i want to go help out with the tsunami disaster... after acessing my situation and how i've been feeling, i decided i want to go help. basically i'm looking for weblinks or phone numbers to organizations that will ship me over there to help.. this is the change i need. this should help me figure things out. I've never been happier than when i did charity work, and what better.

so yeah, post up.

Giving Tree - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. imported_Tesseract - Replied Dec 30, 2004

it frightens me that you didnt just google red cross before you made a 12oz thread...

3. nomadawhat

nomadawhat 12oz Veteran Member

nomadawhat - Replied Dec 30, 2004

i'm can't really help you with your question but I just wanted to say that that is an awesome idea. I imagine that the relief effort will be going on for quite sometime but that you would still need to act quick. That definaley could be/would be a life changing expierience. go for it.

nomadawhat - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

fatalist - Replied Dec 30, 2004

good luck in whatever you do...

fatalist - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. Giving Tree

Giving Tree - Replied Dec 30, 2004

google red cross?? hahaha.. dude i have been looking into it for about 3 days... best i find on red cross is a place for monitary donation. i've been to the americorps, americare, etc.. looking and it just seems like they are looking for MONITARY donations. i really want to give my HANDS and TIME. thats why i posted this. i noticed there were a few others here who did charity work of some sort and hoped that someone might know something.

i'm STILL looking, just looking for a hand in the right direction. odds are really good that an international company/program would help me and get better use from me than a u.s. only program.

but thanks for the thought. i've thought this over a decent while and it just keeps becoming more realistic and more desireable. i am capable of going and in a situation that i could easily put my life on hold here, and it's what my heart says to do, so i am.

giving: at least trying.

6. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

T.T Boy - Replied Dec 30, 2004

shouldnt you join the USARMY!!!!!!!!!!!! USA USA USA. kill towelheads. kill kill kill die die
    usa forever

T.T Boy - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Dec 30, 2004

the chances of finding someone that will pay for you to head over there are slim to none. a well meaning white man is good and all, but they don't lack manpower, they lack resources.
    unless you're willing to throw a ticket on your visa, it's probably not going to happen.

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  8. <KEY3>

<KEY3> 12oz Veteran Member

<KEY3> - Replied Dec 30, 2004

bring sandbags

<KEY3> - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  9. Giving Tree

thats not true, i found red cross red crescent who are taking "recruits" of sorts, and so is americorps.

noone pays for you, of course... it's "charity" work. but the flight is free... and the return flight is equally free..

and i work for a HUGE corporation who would LOVE to have the P.R.

so yeah, it's just finding a place that wants me. :burn:

10. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i know no one will pay you for the work, but i'll honestly be surprised if they'll even cover your flight. unless you have something more important than simply manual labor to offer, i just can't see it being worth it to them.

not trying to burst your bubble, just being realistic.

11. Giving Tree

oh no i'm TOTALLY realistic. the only reason i even started looking into it is because my friend recently left with the red cross to do the same thing, but he has been with them for a long while.

i'm just looking into the idea. if NOTHING comes of it i won't be broken hearted or anything, just seeing if it's a realistic option. as my friend put it, there are over 1 million displaced individuals, all of which need care.. i am a med. cert. individual and i have a language or two under the belt, so i'm just looking.. again this is just a random post on a random web-board, not a gospel or even a well-thought out plan. just a "i wonder" type situation...

no bubbles burst. thanks for trying to keep me in check.

giving: just trying to do something with himself.

12. Giving Tree

just to put it in here for those interested, I've also been strongly considering going back to the camp I worked at before. they have year-round programs and things of that nature to "hire" me in at, free rent and whatnot. I don't know.. I am just looking at opportunities. this seems to be a hot topic so I asked.

just want to do something.

giving: DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

13. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

thats my point, there are a million displaced individuals who have nothing else to do but un-displace themselves.
    ha.
    if you do find someone willing to send you over, let me know about it. i've been moving in the direction of 'disaster relief/dr's without borders' for the last couple years. just haven't taken the final step and applied with someone.

14. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E 12oz Elite Member

T=E=A=S=E - Replied Dec 30, 2004

wear a life jacket.

T=E=A=S=E - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  15. Giving Tree

if you want to do doctors without borders i got the hookup. my company here is the biggest in the state with direct-relations to them, we send like 30 people a year to them...

we should talk more.. sounds like we're moving in a similar direction anyway.