GO BANKSY GO

DITDxCULT

Graffiti artist sneaks his work onto the wall at Tate Britain

Oct 18 2003

The Western Mail

A RENOWNED graffiti artist managed to slip into one of Britain's best known galleries and stick one of his own works on the wall, it emerged yesterday.

Banksy, best known for creating the sleeve of the latest Blur album, glued his painting to the wall of Tate Britain and it was only discovered when it crashed to the floor hours later.

The work has now been placed in the London gallery's lost property section.

Banksy keeps his real identity secret for fear of prosecution after spray-painting numerous sites with his witty works.

He visited Tate Britain on Wednesday morning in prosthetic make-up to make him look elderly. The artist then took his framed painting out of a bag, a rural scene which had an image of police tape stencilled on to it, and stuck it on the wall unchallenged. A card next to it read: "Banksy 1975. Crimewatch UK Has Ruined The Countryside For All Of Us. 2003. Oil On Canvas."

The caption added, "The artist has found an unsigned oil painting and then stencilled police incident tape over the top.

"He argues that ruining the work in this way reflects how our nation has been vandalised by an obsession with crime and paedophilia.

"Any visit to a secluded beauty spot now feels like it may result in being molested or finding discarded body parts. Presented by the artist personally in 2003."

Tate Britain said in a statement that a man had "left a personal possession in one of the galleries at Tate Britain.

"Tate security discovered the item a short while later and it was removed. It is currently being held in lost property.

"For obvious reasons Tate cannot discuss its security arrangements," the statement added.

Many of Banksy's artworks have been sprayed on the walls and pavements of the Shoreditch area of London. They have included a large work poking fun at police - right next to a police station.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hmph... it says he's been approached by various companies to do work for them but has turned them all down.. but at the T5 Soul store in Tribeca all the shit on the wall was done by him. Maybe he didn't consider that really designing anything for their company...

Needless to say I tried talking to a guy who worked there about him (DJ FrogOne or something) and looked at me like I just puked shit for asking him when Banksy came and did their store... then I told him about this shit and he went 'Oh... that guy must be crazy.' and went back to looking really really urban.

Laugh now. Someday we'll be in control.

Archived