garlic

Vanity

pump pump...

so yeah.. i came across a grip of garlic and am trying to find good recipes to get rid of it... all i've found only takes 2-3 cloves... and i have way more than that... i could give it to some homeless guy, and while they may be kinda funny, kinda cruel.

so yeah... any recipes? thanky

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

how in the world do you just 'come across' that much garlic? did they grow legs and walk to your house and just fall asleep in the cupboard?

my friend eats garlic when he has a sore throat like when he's sick. he swears by it. says it helps you get over it. i dunno...

vampires, whatever.

Originally posted by Vanity@Jan 4 2005, 10:31 PM

bah.. fine. post any recipes... fuckers. might as well experiment.

i find it funny when rappers say they'll smoke weed til they die.... way to sacrifice.

i think one of snoop's lyrics too was 'i promise to smoke weed til the day that i die'

he's a promisekeeper.

Originally posted by Armenhammer@Jan 4 2005, 07:26 PM

garlic bread, make lots of garlic bread.

:yum:

damn i love garlic.It is also really good for your system..Just don't put oo much in your food otherwise like someone said you will smeel like garlic for days.Not to mention also your baby batter will smell like it to.And from what an ex told me she wasn't to happy about that.. :freak2:

you could make roasted garlic and use that in recipes too.

leave the whole bulb intact, cut the top off, and pour olive oil on top.

throw it in the oven until it is brown.

then you squeeze the cloves out and its like a paste.

tasty.

i just found this:

Storing Garlic in Oil:

It is a practice with some of us who want garlic immediately handy for cooking, to peel and store it in oil. Garlic is a low acid vegetable, so it needs to be acidified to prevent the growth of micro-organisms and especially to prevent the formation of botulism toxin (caution: undesirable side-effect: DEATH!). Acid treatment also prolongs the quality of garlic and prevents browning. The method is as follows:

* Cover peeled garlic cloves with vinegar and soak the cloves for 12 to 24 hours.

* Drain off the vinegar. It can be reused as garlic-flavored vinegar.

* Cover the garlic cloves with oil.

* Refrigerate the jar of garlic and oil, and use it within 3 months.

(Source of this information is Dr. George York, the university of California at Davis.)

AND

Garlic Butter

Make logs of garlic butter and freeze them to have on hand to melt on broiled meats or to mix into fresh cooled vegetables or spread on bread. Just add mashed garlic cloves or the equivalent in dehydrated or processed garlic to suit your taste to sticks of butter (about 6 cloves fresh garlic per stick is recommended). If you wish, add a few herbs and salt lightly. Form into logs, wrap in plastic and freeze. Slice off as needed.

There is one easy way to get rid of garlic thats fast and easy and mighty tastey..

PASTA..

You can make some hella good pasta dishes with garlic..

EXAMPLE:

Pasta

Fresh Parm..

Sauteed(sp?) onions/garlic..

Capers

(AND MOZARELLA IF YOU CHOOSE)

And for an extra zing for all of you carnivores you can use diced bacon..

I LIVE off the above mentioned and various versions of it..

Originally posted by Vanity@Jan 5 2005, 03:22 AM

i could give it to some homeless guy, and while they may be kinda funny, kinda cruel.

Why is everyone ignoring this? It's such a great idea!

You could go around public buildings dropping bits of garlic behind the heaters or near the air vents. Put them in your friend's car ashtray as a prank. Eat a bunch and sit next to people at the library while breathing with your mouth open. Go to stores where they sell perfume and leave it behind the bottles at the back of the shelf.

There's so much you could do with this.

Lemon/Garlic Chicken [None of this is exact as I made up the recipe; also this is the only thing that I make well, so don't steal it, and tell people where you got it]

1/2 Cup Olive Oil [approximately]

2 1/2 Cup's Vinagre [White]

1 Clove Garlic

1 Lemon

1 Clove [i don't know what a shoot of basil is called] of Basil

1 1/2 - 2 Lb's Chicken Boneless Breasts [Approx. I just grab what they have]

Cut the chicken into strips, lay it in a cassarole.

Finely Chop the Garlic and Basil; throw it in a mixing Bowl

Cut the lemon in half; throw it in the bowl.

Pour in the oil and vinagre, stir.

Pour the mixture over the chicken; salt and pepper to taste.

Let Marinate overnight if possible [at least an hour].

Throw the chicken either on a grill or in a pan on a range medium high. The oil should let you fry it. Use the Lemon to fill up with the sauce and then squeeze it onto the chicken while cooking.

Serve with: Brown or Jasmine Rice; Pita Bread and Hummus, Cucumber sauce...

Uncle Milton's Faux-Pesto

1 Clove Garlic

2-3 Shoots of Basil

1 Shoot of Oregano

Nuts [Any kind will work, macadamias work really well because they have a lot of oil, cashews work, Almonds don't really; see what works for you.]

1/2 - 1 Table Spoon of Olive Oil

Put it all in a blender or food processor until it's a thin paste. Use it like pesto. I like to mix it with mayonaise and put it on fish [or chicken] before I barbeque it; Take it plain and put it on chicken you're cooking, mix it with sauces, whatever.

To do the garlic that melts thing you need butter or olive oil, you cut the garlic with a razor blade as thin as humanly possible or it will burn. It's tough to get it thin enough, but its great when it works.

Vegetable Pulao

Ingredients Metric

Basmati Rice 2 Cups

Table Spoon Oil 2 Spoon

Onions 2 Pcs.

Ginger 2 Pcs.

Pods of Garlic 4 - 5 Pcs.

Tomatoes 3 - 4 Pcs.

Green Chilies 4 Pcs.

A Pinch Of Saffron

1/2 1sp of Chillie Powder

Cloves 2 - 3 Pcs.

Black Cinnamons 2 - 3 Pcs.

Potatoes,French Beams,Cauli Flower,Peas & Carrots togather should be 1/2 kg.

Little Salt for taste

Make a paste of ginger & garlic, heat the oil in the pan, add the cloves and the cinnamons, fry the onions till the nicely browned. Add the tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and fry for 5 mins. Add the vegetables, saffron and chilly powder. Mix well for 5 mins. Add rice and salt to taste and mix again for 5 mins. Add 4 cups of water and bring to boil. Pur the gas slow and the lid on and simmer for 15 mins. You have the most delicious vegetable pulao ready to eat !!!!

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I made garlic butter/parmesan chicken wings this Sunday. Still have an assload of the sauce left, and I plan on putting it on everything I eat this week, because 1) I want to make everyone around me suffer the wrath of the garlic stench, and 2) garlic is the fucking jump off.

Garlic mashed potatoes:

7 cups cubed peeled baking potatoes

6 cloves garlic, peeled

1/2 cup low-fat milk, (2%)

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

2 tablespoons margarine

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Place potatoes and garlic in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes... drain. Return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add remaining ingredients; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. 8 servings (approx. 3/4 cup each serving)

Originally posted by effyoo@Jan 4 2005, 09:05 PM

tasty.

this is good. spread it on a sliced baguette or something similar...

Originally posted by society_kills@Jan 4 2005, 11:21 PM

chop it up real good and marinate a steak or whatever in it for a couple days.

That is the way to go! Once you marinated it, take the steak out and Cook it on the grill... while its cooking take butters and melt it in a pan and add some garlic. When the steak finishes poor the garlic butter on top and dig in! A five star resturant makes that down here in Florida and its the shit! You can also add mushrooms or onions if you like ;)

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by effyoo@Jan 5 2005, 05:05 AM

That is so gorgeous. Whenever I'm roasting things I stick a bulb of garlic in too to have as a treat.