Gangter films: any recommendations.

ETHREADZNY

Next Semester, I am taking a class called American Crime Film. . In the short description of the class, it suggests for the students to be ready to discuss their favorite crime films.

here are a few of mine, that i have seen, does anybody have any other suggestions?

Scarface

Scarface is a combination of events in real life and creativity of the writer put together. The story is about a Cuban immigrant with one and only ambition: to become powerful, to have the whole world to himself. Al Pacino portrays Tony Montana, a nobody who came to America and lived the American dream by becoming a drug king. Of course, at the end, he faced the inevitable for a movie character of such nature- he was killed. Directed by Brian DePalma and written by Oliver Stone.

Goodfellas

Another masterpiece by Martin Scorsese is a film about life in the mafia. The movie shows three decades of life in the underworld. Ray Liotta delivers an outstanding role in ?Goodfellas?, not to mention DeNiro who is simply uncanny. His performance is one of the best. Also Joe Pesci plays a role that is perfect for him, the ruff and tough gangster. This is a true classic. It delivers everything you would expect plus much more.

Pulp Fiction

Nothing has ever been made that was anything like Pulp Fiction, a truly original movie. Tarantino, who is the writer and director of the modern day classic, created unforgettable characters and events. The combination of seriousness and ruthlessness of the crime world and dark humor give this movie its unique distinctiveness. The movie resurrected John Travolta, who was nominated for an Oscar for his role.

Once Upon A Time In America

Once again Robert DeNiro is a gangster. The story is about a group of Jewish kids growing up in the Ghetto and later becoming real gangsters. A very dramatic and emotional film that makes the audience think about how tragic it is to be a criminal.

any others worth seeing?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_Tesseract

here's my set:

+The Godfather all of them

+Ghost Dog

+Donnie Brasco

+Usual suspects

+The untouchables

+Reservoir dogs...much more gansta that pulp fiction

i'm sure i forget many more

*edit:Thanx

Guest imported_Tesseract

i dont know if you ever saw these in the states but some french films are dope...Allen Dellon stars in most of them.

Actually, ghost dog is a remake of "the killer with an angels face" check it out.

Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

to be honest, I dont know. The name of the class is American Crime Films, but if it made it big here also, it may be worth checking out.

Well, if you're just going to have a gangster film extravaganza, there are some really good British gangster films you would probably like....

Love, Honour, & Obey

Gangster No.1

Sexy Beast

The Long Good Friday

Even if you can't use them they are still worth seeing.....

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Well, if you're just going to have a gangster film extravaganza, there are some really good British gangster films you would probably like....

Love, Honour, & Obey

Gangster No.1

Sexy Beast

The Long Good Friday

Even if you can't use them they are still worth seeing.....

from what I heard the british have some of the best gangster films.. I need to check them out..

Guest mikro137

donnie brasco is a good one...

id also look into boys in the hood colors and any other early 90s "gang" film , just for some prespective.

there was a pretty funny film starring sylvester stallone but i cant for the life of me remeber what its called. it amusing though

You guys got me psyched, I have spent the last 5 yrs taking classes in college that i didnt give a fuck about, finally I get to watch movies..

I recommended to anyone taking classes in a new york state school...

take The American Crime Film, it looks dope..

Examines the transformations, both stylisitcs and thematic, in one of the most popular enduring film genres, the crime film. tOPICS INCLUDe: the social attitudes towards crime and criminals are meditated in the social conventions of the cinema; the relationship of the crime film to distinct periods of American history: and the relevance of the crime film to other genres. Readings incorporate scholarships from sociology, psychology, linguistics, and semiotics.

Originally posted by yoink

a bronx tale...?..

i havent seen it all i was watching it yesterday and now i want to finish it it was cool seeing robert deniro on the other side of the whole mafia thing...as a hard working dad.

I totally forgot about this one, one of my favorite movies of all times.

whatever you do, don't watch Sexy Beast. I saw it last weekend, and I thought it was the worst movie I had seen in a long, long time. Repressed homosexuals would love the movie, though. It is, afterall, about gay gangsters. Don't let the back of the box (where it says Ben Kingsley plays a ruthless gangster) fool you.

Guest Catch22

The Warriors

Walter Hill shows his directing flair again for action, drama and style in this crackling 1979 movie about a Coney Island gang falsely accused of murder and fleeing from everyone....including the other NYC gangs and the New York City Police Department.

Set amongst a hostile, nocturnal world of neon lit train stations, baseball bat wielding gang members and lethal women "The Warriors" moves along at a frentic pace with a fine selection of young actors taking the lead. Michael Beck plays the cool headed, "war chief" Swan, seeking to get the other members back home to Coney Island alive and in one piece. James Remar is unforgettable as the woman chasing, hot headed Ajax...always out to prove his manhood with his fists. And David Patrick Kelly is perfect as the murderous, but ultimately cowardly leader of the Rogues.

Attending a combined gangs meeting deep in the South Bronx to hear the Gramercy Riffs plans to control the streets of New York, the Warriors are wrongly accused of the shooting death of their charismatic leader, Cyrus. The finger of blame pointed their way, they flee via any means they can and upon their way back to home base encounter violent opposition from the Orphans, the Turnbull AC's, the Baseball Furies and even rifts within their own ranks lead to trouble.

A colorful, exciting and fast paced film...at the time of it's original release it drew criticism for allegedly encouraging gang activity, but now seems almost cartoon like in it's displays of violence.

Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

Next Semester, I am taking a class called American Crime Film. . In the short description of the class, it suggests for the students to be ready to discuss their favorite crime films.

here are a few of mine, that i have seen, does anybody have any other suggestions?

any others worth seeing?

You probably should check out the Godfather series, they're generally hailed as the best "gangster" movies of all time. Donnie Brasco is good as well, based on a true story. Maybe catch a few episodes of the Sopranos, it's the most popular premium channel television show ever, and focuses modern day mob life.

Archived