Gabriel Urist

The Hipster

gabriel_urist.jpg

Like Elizabeth Taylor, artist Gabriel Urist has violet eyes and a very large jewelry collection. He started crafting necklaces, rings and other accessories eight years ago at the Interlochen Arts Academy in Interlochen, Michigan. Now he's in Brooklyn, embellishing the gold and silver trade. His work is gorgeous -- he's fashioned knuckle rings and other glitzy things for supermodel Omahyra and styled accessories for Miguel Adrover and Gary Graham fashion shows. But Urist's main passion is basketball, and after a few years of metalsmithing, he's making waves with a line of hoops-inspired jewelry. "In my opinion, the beauty of basketball has, for the moment, been lost in the institutionalization of the NBA," he says. "Basketball jewelry is elegant and street-smart." His array of sterling-silver, platinum and gold slam-dunk silhouettes, Dream Team necklaces and Air Jordan dribble pendants are available at New York shops like Alife and Nom de Guerre. Legendary artist Futura entrusted him to turn everyday objects into jewelry for the opening of his upcoming store FL (aka Futura Laboratory) in Japan. Despite all the props, Urist is decidedly more Fort Greene than Hollywood. He likes to hang out with his artist friends -- and if you come by his studio, this 6' 3" dude will polish your wedding band. "I love my equipment," he gushes. Scha-wing!

C.C. MCGURR

* Gabriel wears a jacket by Y-3, jewelry by Gabriel Urist

http://www.papermag.com

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by justaname@Feb 8 2005, 05:18 PM

your metrosexual friends that rap! BLING BLING YO!

all rappers are fucking metrosexuals these days. motherfuckers shouting "gangsta" and "thug" and walking around with manicures and pedicures, styled to within and inch of their life, spending more time getting dressed than a fucking woman. shit is ghey

• 6 months later...

http://freshnessmag.com

Sneaker Jewels

Interview with Gabriel Urist

by Young Thawt

---------------------------------

What prompted your interest in the creation and composition of jewelry?

I was real into painting. In high school, I took a metalsmithing class.

How did you come to be in Brooklyn, which is not a train or ferry ride from Michigan?

My folks are from Brooklyn. My grandparents, aunts, cousins, brothers, sisters all live here.

When did the basketball related work really reach fabrication? How long had it been in your mind before serious production began to take place?

I started the basketball jewelry in ’03. Serious production began in ’05.

You’ve said the “beauty of basketball has, for the moment, been lost in the institutionalization of the N.B.A.” Isn’t jewelry, the preeminent symbol of one’s economic stature, the ultimate commodification of the passion that drives the game to be played in the streets where a milk crate is a hoop and a telephone pole plays backboard?

I’ve been playing basketball since I was eight years old. I love playing basketball. I am also a jeweler. I love making and designing jewelry. Basketball jewelry is how I combine these two things. My idea to make basketball jewelry came from a desire to make jewelry that said something true about myself and my friends. I never expected it to blow up like it did. Of course I’m glad it did. It excites me that so many people see my jewelry and just get it, no explanation necessary. My feelings about the NBA have nothing to do with my feelings about the game of basketball. I chose Jordan as a symbol of the grace and beauty of the game – an athlete who plays because he loves it more that anything else in the world and spends his life playing. Jewelry is my medium and I spend my life perfecting my skills. Basketball jewelry is a moment in my progression just like playing in the NBA can be a moment in the life of a person devoted to basketball. I think the NBA can use a new dose of that purity, the idea of playing just because you love it. I’d like to be absolutely clear - I LOVE BASKETBALL. I love playing basketball and all the kids who play basketball all over the world and I make my jewelry for them.

All the sneakers I’ve done have been basketball shoes, except for the p-rod. That’s another example of what I’m taking about. I doubt Paul Rodriguez started skating because he wanted to be famous. He just ended up that way because he got really good at something he loves to do. It not about fame and money its about doing what you love and trying to be as good at it as you can. You don’t have to play basketball be a baller.

The perfection you have achieved in your reproduction of the sneakers is amazing. How tedious is the work and what is the most time you have spent on one design?

Thank you! The work is tedious sometimes. I’ve spent 4 months on a shoe.

Each pendant is the crystalized essence of the perfection that is the sneaker. In fact, you have improved the sneaker in many ways because the shoe can never crease, its laden in precious metals, and rests at eye-level glinting with the sun as passers by check your piece. How deep does the concept of the perfect shoe run in your own mind?

I think there’s a lot of perfect shoes. I think about them every day. The concept of shoes runs as deep as you want. I respect the sneaker game, the game of basketball, and the jewelry game all as art forms. It’s all beauty.

What is your perfect sneaker?

Old man loafers for my grandfather, baby jordans for my niece, and for me, I like the free ones.

Is there an ideal piece of jewelry out there that you sweat in particular?

I can’t stop thinking ‘bout a spongebob and squarepants platinum pendant I saw. I sweat the class ring as well. I think that’s an ideal piece of jewelry.

Is your work about appropriating high fashion to the street, or bringing street sensibilities and swagger to high fashion?

I don’t really think much about fashion.

Has the thought of imitators crossed your mind? Do you think anyone will try to mimic what you’ve so successfully done with the Jordan silhouettes and sneaker chains?

It’s happening already. They drop my name in their emails.

What’s next for you? Are there any new designs or models in the works?

I’m working on a new line of class rings/graduation/military type rings

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...