Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Guest Pilau Hands

Guest Pilau Hands

In following Tesser's Salinger thread, I submit my favorite author, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I'm currently re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and after that I will re-hit up Of Love and Other Demons.

I don't read very often, mostly because i rarely get people recommending something that they claim was STELLAR...but 100years is just that, and has held its seat as my favorite novel for a while now. I highly recommend it to anyone in need of a good steady read. His writing is very romantic, and seems to appeal to the pisces in me. Sometimes i found myself reading a line and going "Oh shit" and getting up to write it down. Tess, rory, beard, others should mentally holler at that.

*art sidenote, Matokie Slaughter did a piece entitled "Pilar" named after one of the female characters in 100years.

"It was said, and no one ever disproved it, that he had resurrected a dead man."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

"Cien Años de Soledad" kicked my face inwards from a variety of different angles. García Márquez is a master, period. I mean, he was selected as the most important Columbian ever by his own country, which bred Simón Bolívar of all people. Beating the liberator of most of South America to the top spot is not easy.

I've copped "Cien Años de Soledad", "Relato de un Naufrago", "Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada", "Noticia de un Secuestro", "Los Funerales de la Mama Grande", and my favorite of his, "El Otoño del Patriarca". The latter is around 220 pages or so, and is entirely written in about 6-7 sentences. Don't know if the translation holds, but it was fucking awesome. Still have to read more, especially the one !@#$% mentioned.

A++

call me crazy, but i didnt really enjoy 100 years. i thought parts of it

were beautiful and i think his writing is amazing at times but the book

on the whole didnt take to me. i have a sneaky feeling a lot is lost

in translation.

have you read the sanchez family? (not by GGM)

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is amazing. I've read the whole lot thanks to the fact that I live in a university town and the library is ridiculously well stocked.

I love it all.

You have to read Love In the Time Of Cholera. And The General in His Labyrinth. And The Autumn of the Patriarch.

All class-A.

Archived