FUCK RELIGION

Juan Fuentes

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a religious person. Fight me and I'll pop your jaw out.

If you're going to start an 'argument thread' you should at

least have some points for people to argue. How can someone

come back at 'fuck religion'? No... fuck you!

You have to debate points, no just blanket statements of anger.

I think religion can be a great thing but also one of the worst things ever.

Look at the dark ages, it was a catholic nightmare but at the same time

Islam was keeping the science and the knoledge alive. Now Islam is

having a bit of a 'dark age' of its own. Cycles.

On the whole though, there are some great lessons to be learned from religion.

Dont kill people, dont be a dick, say thank you, wash your hands......

All lessons that religion has kept teaching over the years.

No one has ever learned anything from 'fuck religion'.

< tangent >

You know the Islamic ritual of washing befoe prayers?

Well that's what kept the mfrom having huge plagues

when the christian europeans were all getting sick.

Some 'religious codes' were made to protect the people.

Back when the Jews and the Arabs were a lot closer,

they saw that eating swine would make you sick

(back in the days before people understood germs)

so they both said 'dont eat the pork'. Sure that has NOTHING

to do with 'God's will' but it kept people alive. Is that bad?

saying "fuck religion" is a religion. its a belief system that believes its ok to fuck religion, unwittingly blinding the person to the concept they have a religion.

everything is a religion they just aren't structured to appear as religions or our common definition of a religion..

Guest KING BLING

"Congratulations.... In your re-election, God has graciously granted America — though she doesn't deserve it — a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly. Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ.... You will have [the] opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm.... Pull out all the stops and make a difference. If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them. Conservative Americans would love to see one president who doesn't care whether he is liked, but cares infinitely that he does right.

Sincerely your friend, Bob Jones III."

-Bob Jones III, President of fundamentalist Chrisitan Bob Jones University, in a letter to President George Bush upon re-relection.

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript346_full.html

I'll say fuck religion. Those two words aren't nearly enough though, Key is right about that. I don't think I have enough time today but I'll see what I can do. Dig up a thread called 'Here Is a Woman I Admire' from here or Channel Zero; Ann Druyan basically says most of what needs to be said, and it's as if she read my mind. She also doesn't use the phrase "fuck religion".

As I see it, religion is the antithesis of science, based on religion's concept of faith. Faith, simply put, is a determination to believe in things that are not observable.

Rational beings do not need faith whatsoever. We are capable of observing the world, studying it through science, and trying to find out the answers to those big questions by hand, the long way. Rational beings do not need to know all of those answers right now, today. We are comfortable with immense uncertainty, in part because science has reliably explained a lot of the small stuff, stuff that is on a humanocentric scale: the behavior of water, lightning, mitochondria, carrots, geology. I can look up at the stars and wonder where they came from, and go home and sleep well at night, not knowing. Someday humans might know.

Religious people are not rational beings. They insist on knowing the answers to the big questions right now, today. So they make them up. A couple of charismatic prophets throughout history, who made up the best stories, are still believed in today, their bullshit dogmas lapped up by the insecure faithful. Hell, even Jim Jones and David Koresh got a couple of hundred morons apiece to follow their bizarre leads.

Some Christians, Muslims, etc. are that stupid, some are not. I get a kick out of Christians who dismiss Koresh as a "cult leader" while listening to the latest crap from their Pope, that dinosaur in a dunce cap. All religions I'm familiar with suffer those same failings, which can be traced back to believing what's in a thousand-year-old book instead of what's right in front of your eyes. The only exception I have seen to the rule of deliberate blindness in religion is the Dalai Lama, whose philosophy I am not familiar enough with to comment on, except that he acknowledges a big role for science in the pursuit of the answers to the big questions.

I defined faith as a determination to believe in things that are not observable, and I meant the word DETERMINATION, in the sense of bullheaded stubbornness, a willful blindness to the facts about life, the universe, and human nature, all of which, if intelligently OBSERVED for long enough, yield the conclusion that gods are human inventions, not the other way around.

Determination reflects desire, and that alone casts doubt on all the dogmas: religious people have a desired outcome in mind for answers to the big questions, and they reject or attack any science that comes to a different conclusion. Their minds are closed. Scientists don't have a preference, they just do the necessary work to discover the facts. (Yes, some scientists have fallen in love with their own theories, only to get embarassed later by more diligent, unbiased researchers.) Their minds, by and large, are open. They update their texts as new stuff is proven by the scientific method.

Why are so many people religious? The biggest reason is fear. I'm unusual among humans in not fearing the unknown, and not needing the answers to those big questions. Most people, for whatever reason, are afraid, and the idea of a prefabricated system for going through life, and for answering all those questions, is very appealing. They don't have to think or be afraid anymore, just follow the rites and fight the heathen. And burn infidels at the stake, and outlaw abortion and homosexuality, and teach their kids to keep their minds closed, and go to war with heathen countries, and all of the other fucking bullshit that makes me want to say...fuck religion. I'll take rational science anyday.

my view on religion ties in with what i learned while studying ethnobotany as an undergraduate. i would repeatedly read how many old cultures held supernatural beliefs that obviously aren't true from a scientifical perspective, but ensured the survival of the tribe.

one example was a south american tribe that held the belief that a certain species of red ants were spirtual and thus the ants were revered as deities. a special protective law was placed on the ants so that no one could harm them.

it turns out that the ants were pollenators of the tribe's staple crop. if the ants were killed, they can't pollenate the crop, and the village will starve. even though the average person of that tribe doesn't comprehend how pollenation works, their religion ensures that the pollenation will happen.

this validates that religion is an irrational belief to explain something they can't yet comprehend, yet it is beneficial to believe since it ensures survival.

what's important to understand is that the irrational religious beliefs are only beneficial to the place and time that they were initially used, and when taken out of that context, it is no longer valid, and in fact can be harmful.

take homophobia, it makes sense to say homosexuality will damn you to hell back in a time when infant mortality was high, and more people reproducing ensured survival, and having children gave you people to help work your crops. but homophobia doesn't make sense today when infant mortality is low, and enough people are having children to ensure a stable population growth. not everyone needs to reproduce.

homophobia is like people outside of that village still worshipping the red ant, even though the crop that it pollenates doesn't even grow there. it's an irrational belief, and it's not beneficial to believe it.

all these stupid religious beliefs people hold today made sense at some point. basically, these judeo-based rules (christianity, islam, and judaism) made it easy for a ruling class: it's a lot easier to govern a large population if everyone believed that there was an omnipresent, omnipotent, and invisible person watching their every move, and going to punish them for doing things that are harmful to their survival.

religion may have worked at a place and time, but science has been a lot more effective at telling us what's better for our survival. science is the new religion, without the boogieman/santaclaws factor

well said cracked.

Let me just say this,

there was a GREAT karate master named Peter Urban.

He was one of the biggest forces in getting karate and

all martial arts into the mainstream and into people's lives.

I look at religion like I look at karate. It's a brutally personal

thing and the only real judge is yourself. Peter Urban said:

Enlightenment is the realization that only YOU can save yourself.

Well you know what... I believe in myself and I pray for my own

selfish reason; to improve myself and take a monent to reflect

on the world around me and my place in it. To me that is a pure

sence of 'religion'. Religion IS self... and I refuse to say 'Fuck Myself'

That make sence?

Most of the religion people talk about here is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Well you know what.... I know that I can only lead myself and I refuse to do it with eyes closed.

i kinda figured that this thread might have some insight from the person who started it, instead it had some very well thought out points by the mods.

religion is a thing that will be argued over forever. there really is no sense in trying to convince anyone that you are right and they are wrong or vice versa. i still respect your feelings on it no matter what, though. as long as you are not harming anyone else, i don't see a problem with saying 'fuck this' or 'fuck that'.

peace be with you

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I want to agree with Cracked as I usually do 99% of the time, but I can't bring myself to fully agree with his statements here.

It's easy for us, educated human beings with access to all sorts of knowledge and tools of analysis, to conclude that faith is completely unnecessary for us. Unfortunately, the vast majority of mankind lives in an entirely different position in life, a position where the wonders of science (which are available only to us with the resources to participate in them) have little to offer them in terms of that which they need most: hope.

In the future, as the scope of knowledge expands and covers all areas of the world, I can see faith losing its relevance to help us get through life... but as it is today, faith, not science, gives the vast majority of people on earth a reason to live another day. The big problem arises when religious authorities, reluctant to cede the power they wield over their followers, refuse to allow science and knowledge to bring the new and improved hope to the masses. The problem with faith is with those who control it, not with its plain existence.

Besides all of this, there is an ethereal beauty in faith very much akin to artistic impulse and expression that a lot of us carry in ourselves... a sense of travelling an unknown world, where imagination is king and answers are found that may not feel logical, but nonetheless feel right. And although one day science may be able to pick apart the artistic impulse neuron by neuron, humanity may lose a great thing when the magic of it all vanishes in a flood of numbers.

So for now, I'll go along and say FUCK RELIGION... but keep the faith.

Like Bon Jovi.

Guest imported_Tesseract

^^Hahahaah, fuckin mamerro...that's my favorite rap line of all times (too bad you aint a rapper so that shit dont exist)

I dont have the energy to respond seriously but to me religion is best illustrated in j.d salingers 'franny and zooey' read that and never talk shit again.

and just because i'm a lousy rapper unlike mamerro i'll leave you with a fast crappy line.

Two things make a man great, faith and honesty..i dont care towards who and regarding what

Originally posted by Armenhammer@Nov 18 2004, 05:30 PM

dude dont take this offensively but...

tf1.jpg

your retarded!

i'd like to say this guy right here is awesome. that suit is fucking awesome. and i really dont like when people make fun of the mentally handicapped.

thanks.

*note* saying "you are retarded" is one thing, but posting a picture of a retard, especially one with one of the most awesomist outfits on ever just pisses me off.

i dont have a big long thought to type out like a lot of you, but i honestly dont see how people can come off with that "fuck religion" stuff..

Is religion REALLY bothering you that much and ruining your life? Let people do their own thing and worry about yourself.

sorry if that sounds too simple-minded and i dont have much of anything to back it up....but live and let live. jeez.

I attended christian/catholic schools since kindergarden and dont agree with what they taught me, but i'm not stressing out over it and putting down other people's beliefs..

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«@Nov 24 2004, 05:19 AM

Is religion REALLY bothering you that much and ruining your life? Let people do their own thing and worry about yourself.

yes, people's beliefs are ruining our lives, because they make important decisions in arenas that matter like voting, legislation, and what is taught to our children in schools, based on irrational beliefs that have no basis in reality.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars@Nov 24 2004, 12:44 AM

i'd like to say this guy right here is awesome. that suit is fucking awesome. and i really dont like when people make fun of the mentally handicapped.

thanks.

*note* saying "you are retarded" is one thing, but posting a picture of a retard, especially one with one of the most awesomist outfits on ever just pisses me off.

Well the reason I decided to post the picture was because he has that awesome suit (I agree 100% with you on that).

Im sorry if it pisses you off, I made this post when I was quite pissed off myself, thus not thinking straight. I see where you're coming from, I have a cousin who is mentaly retarded and blind, I'd get pissed if anyone was making fun of her.

regardless, I still think Juan Fuentes is a dumb ass or "un hijueputa come mierda".

Originally posted by Cracked Ass@Nov 23 2004, 12:18 AM

As I see it, religion is the antithesis of science, based on religion's concept of faith. Faith, simply put, is a determination to believe in things that are not observable.

Rational beings do not need faith whatsoever. We are capable of observing the world, studying it through science, and trying to find out the answers to those big questions by hand, the long way. Rational beings do not need to know all of those answers right now, today. We are comfortable with immense uncertainty, in part because science has reliably explained a lot of the small stuff, stuff that is on a humanocentric scale: the behavior of water, lightning, mitochondria, carrots, geology. I can look up at the stars and wonder where they came from, and go home and sleep well at night, not knowing. Someday humans might know.

Religious people are not rational beings. They insist on knowing the answers to the big questions right now, today.

I defined faith as a determination to believe in things that are not observable, and I meant the word DETERMINATION, in the sense of bullheaded stubbornness, a willful blindness to the facts about life, the universe, and human nature, all of which, if intelligently OBSERVED for long enough, yield the conclusion that gods are human inventions, not the other way around.

Determination reflects desire, and that alone casts doubt on all the dogmas: religious people have a desired outcome in mind for answers to the big questions, and they reject or attack any science that comes to a different conclusion. Their minds are closed. Scientists don't have a preference, they just do the necessary work to discover the facts. (Yes, some scientists have fallen in love with their own theories, only to get embarassed later by more diligent, unbiased researchers.) Their minds, by and large, are open. They update their texts as new stuff is proven by the scientific method.

Why are so many people religious? I'll take rational science anyday.

I took out the parts of your speech that digressed from the points that I found interesting. While there is some validity in what you say, you may find a benefit in reflecting a bit deeper on some of your points. That is to say, do you REALLY believe science only deals with the observable? Wait; before you disregard me out right, think about it. I'll contest that some of the most important work in science has been based upon the unobservable.

Secondly, you say religious people are not rational beings. I don't believe that humans in general are rational beings. I'm typing on a little piece of plastic, so that my words come up on a screen for other people to read, ultimately not serving any purpose; I fail to see the rationale in that.

"...religious people have a desired outcome in mind for answers to the big questions, and they reject or attack any science that comes to a different conclusion. Their minds are closed."

Perhaps an appropriate statement; but aren't you doing the same thing? Your own mind is closed to the idea of religion, it's apparent in your generalizations. Don't you find it interesting that you comment that "they reject or attack any science that comes to a different conclusion.", which is exactly what you just did, except in the context of attacking religion in the defense of science?

You are an intelligent person, it's evident in the clarity with which you write. You comment on the "personable prophets" or what not, who appeal to the masses. Yet look what response you've gotten; how many of the masses of 12oz. are in awe of you? It's human nature to follow what seems right.

Anyways, I gotta go have dinner. Bye bye.