Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

FUCK ALL THIS FALSE PATRIOTISM!

Discussion in 'News' started by patrickjilbert, Feb 7, 2002.

1. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert Member

article i found

As I'm sure you are well aware, it has been a few months since the September 11th terrorist incidents took place. And I'm sure you have listened to the media endlessly ramble on any way imaginable about the events. I, like everyone else who has half a conscience, mourn the loss of life. The events on September 11th are no exception.

Take just a second and try to think about how life has changed since then. Some things might come to mind such as 'national unity' and increased security many places. There is one thing, however, that is just as horrifying as the attacks themselves - America's new interest in patriotism itself.

Since September 11th, our nation has been plagued with millions of newfound 'patriots' who seem more like brainwashed billboards than true, thinking American citizens. Everyone from elementary school students to senior citizens is buying in on the 'patriotism' craze. You can't escape all of the flags that are being whored around our country as well as the meaningless September 11th merchandise. It's a sad day in our country when the only way you can show you care for America is to buy a New York City Fire Department hat and/or slap a cheap American flag sticker on your car.

The newfound 'patriotism' in our country today is nothing more than a meaningless fad that steers us away from looking at what our government is really doing. Everything our country does now goes without much question at all. We're the "land of the free", the most wealthy, and "best" country in the world. We could never do anything wrong - right? Every day we take steps away from our freedom, whether it is intolerance for antiwar protesters or loss of personal privacy. Laws like the Patriot Act (which passed with virtually no public hearing or debate) allow police to search peoples' homes without a warrant as well as expands the definition of "terrorist" so broadly that it could include non-violent protesters at an anti-war rally.

This brings us to the most important point of this whole paper - true patriots aren't the ones who are wearing shirts saying cheap slogans like "God bless America", and they probably won't be found with American flag stickers all over their cars. Patriotism is in one's heart, not on their possessions. Patriotism means questioning what American society and government does and not letting others silence your beliefs. People who try to silence you are far from patriots. They are traitors to the principles on which this country was founded upon. Lines like "love it or leave it" only prove their stupidity. Open your eyes.

2. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

well put!

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves,
    and, under a just God, cannot retain it."
    -Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Next in importance to freedom and justice is popular education, without which neither freedom nor justice can be permanently maintained."
    James A. Garfield, July 12, 1880

"Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they?"
    George Carlin

3. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert Member

i wrote it myself actually, but feared people would talk more shit just because they hate my drawings. eh. i'm glad you liked it.

4. SenorSeven

SenorSeven Elite Member

or maybe the new found patriotism is because people here finally realize what we have compared to other places? its not all "oh shit let me hop on a bandwagon and fly a flag." For people to unite, it takes a tragedy usually....and it finally happened on our home soil. Maybe you say what you say because you yourself feel that if you flew a flag, put one on your car etc that you would be doing it out of "false patriotism" and going along with the newest trend. one thing you gotta realize is the fact that as previously stated, tragedys cause unity...dont expect for the shit to disappear now either...its going to stay here- anyone who doesnt care for america - thats cool...i used to be that way...but the more i think about how good i have it here compared to living in some undeveloped 3rd world country....it makes me hella glad that i live in what people call the united snkaes...yeah we got just as many scandals as the next place if not more....but think about what an unfair advantage at life you have over someone living in another country- im just waiting for your rebuttal......it will be interesting im sure chuck...

5. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert Member

america is a nice place to live, i agree. but i just find it sickening that the media has brainwashed people into "god bless america" idiots. it seems as though now people are less tolerant of others' beliefs than ever, whether it be protests or opinions such as mine on patriots.

6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

If we are all Americans, then what's wrong with blessing and praying for our neighbors, family and friends? It doesent always have to do with people getting brainwashed by the media or the government.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Junior Member

All these stupid flags flying everywhere and stuck on people's cars don't really do anything but make the people who are selling them more money. Most people who are trying to show support for their nation/government/country don't really have any sort of vested interest in what that gov't is even doing with all the tax money and voter support they funnel into it, beyond making them happy in their fairly comfortable, American lifestyles. I'm not knocking anyone for being truly supportive of something, but I agree with the article above about people not applying any objective thought to their displays of national pride. Personally, I don't think being patriotic should have anything to do with just loving where you live, I think it should be related to agreeing with the actions of your government and showing support in that area.

Stop some of these people with American flags flying from their cars or who are wearing God Bless America T-shirts and ask them how much they really know about the workings or effects of government actions and policies surrounding 9/11-- I guarantee most of them won't know much.

Patriotism is a scary thing when it comes in the form of uncontested support.

8. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

"pay-trioti$m"
    well put pat.;)

9. patrickjilbert

patrickjilbert Member

you know it is a holy day when mr. bojangles gives you a positive compliment

:eek:

10. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

all you gotta do is say/show somethin worth seeing.

11. 455

455 Guest

Fuck The Media!!!!!!!....chumps$.

12. A Fire Inside

A Fire Inside Senior Member

Bravo patrickjilbert! (and yes that is a compliment)

13. Fro

Fro New Jack

I remember hearing a saying a while ago, i cant remember who said but it went somthing like this

"I'd rather see a man burn the flag and wrap himself in the constitution then burn the consitution and wrap himself in the flag"

And did anyone see the new bin laden tape? He's one clever mother fucker.

"If killing those who killed our sons makes us terrorists, then let history show that we are terrorists"

I laughed when i heard this and saw the headlines on the news saying BIN LADEN ADMITS TO BEING A TERRORIST! I'm pretty sure most of the brainwashed fake partiot american public didnt really understand what he was saying by that. If you dont know, think about it a little bit.

Again i dont remember the exact quote but here goes

"The us government will lead its people and the west in general into a choking and unbearable life"

He called it. Thank Ashcroft and Tom Ridge for dimantaling our Constitution. Our Government has become exactly what our forefathers faught against, i bet they are turning over in their graves now.

14. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder 12oz Loyalist

just tonight i pull up at a stop light to some lady who throws her ciggeratte out the window then proceeds to cut me off. as she is infront of my i see her "God Bless America" sticker. how considerate of her.

15. Iris

Iris Banned

i don't like america and what being american signifies.