fruity loops... who's down?

zorak

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

make breaks without a loop program or sequencer.

much frustration and fun and you'll be impressed with

how far you can push yourself/sounds.

*shizer link

shit man...

i write my own music. i've been playing bass, drums, and guitar for eleven years now... i've been in shitty bands.

there is point were experimenting with electronic music and synthesizers becomes appealing even for the hard core musician. ever listen to do make say think or tortoise? how about explosions in the sky? all great music based upon samples and synths of some sort...

i'm a psycho when it comes to analog. all my effect pedals are analog as is my tube amp, but computers have their place too... especially in electronic music (of course). don't hate just because it's computer based.

Guest BROWNer

?

i'm not hating bro.

get down with your bad self.

i used to listen to tortoise a long time ago

when they first started and were primarily

a 'band' in the traditional sense.

btw, your link didn't work.

i know you are not hating dude...

it was more aimed at dudes like vinyl junkie... not that he is hating either, but some people can't get past the electronic hurdle.

sorry about the link... i don't know what is up with it. yours didn't work either though.

I've had several versions over the last 4 years, I installed the fisrt one I had, for about 15 minutes... I get alot more out of ReBirth, Acid and SoundForge, which I currently push 2.0, 4.0 and 6.0 respectively... I just got Reason but I'm missing the 3rd disk so I'm kind of spinning my wheels there...

Guest BROWNer

shit, i noticed.

hmm..

i've been at both ends. having one freeware program editor,

and having $1000 softwares....and the lo-fi way is definitely

the way in my op.....

less options, forcing you to be alot more critical and creative.

Re: shit man...

Originally posted by zorak

i'm a psycho when it comes to analog. all my effect pedals are analong as is my tube amp, but computers have their place too... especially in electronic music (of course). don't hate just because it's computer based.

where were you for my "Who knows how to build an analog synth" thread, (aka who can really work Vaz 2.1)?

i am all about lo-fi

i think there are much better tones coming out of the older lo-fi shit.

moogs are monophonic and the bass those things generate is legendary.

i need to get my self an 808 or 909 or 606 or something... but they are sooo expensive now a days.

what are you using to generate breakbeats in realtime?

Originally posted by BROWNer

less options, forcing you to be alot more critical and creative.

I don't buy that, it's just less to learn... you simply can't get more creativity out of less creative options... it does provide fertile ground for imaginative work arounds but if you spent less time on that and more on actual music creation I think the world would be better off...

not you personally Browner... just saying

Originally posted by Smart

zorak... the program ReBirth (Propellerheads software) combines 2 Roland 404 synths and the 808 AND 909 drum machines in one platform, plus a pfc filter, distortion and delay... AND the ability to record real time parameter changes

damn... can i get that shit off of kazzaa?

I dunno, I get my flows from music industry cronies... probably though, I mean, it is THE SHIT, except it plaes in comparison to that new Prophedz release Reason... except I don't have the last disk, as I said, so it's still the SHIT until I finally get Reason up... Reason is all that and more

eh, i mess around with the fruity loops every now and then... i usually start about 50 different things at once, then never get around to finishing any of em... oh well.. i think fancy keyboards are more fun to play with anyway... i should bust out a damn triton or somethin.. i've been gettin better and better at piano skills.. breakbeats are fun... but i know almost nothing about electronic music equipment... so i wouldn't know what to get, or where to start...

Guest BROWNer

well, i personally have to disagree. by example look at the

tonnage of crap out there with people who have all these amazing

racks of shit and softwares out the ass...all to make some generic

half assed 'music'.

but.......as i said, 'personally'...when i listen to my old cheezoid

freeware experiments to my later tech using stuff, the only thing that

really bothers me is the sound quality of the early stuff, otherwise

its way more creative and interesting. i'm not blaming software, i'm

just saying..whatever works best. i find alot of software makes its too easy.

the thing with options in software these days

is that there are SO MANY. its absurd and it, for me, gets in the way of

actually doing anything. of course you can do alot

with these, but i found that it gets frustrating as hell, becuz

you end up spending way too much time going through your hundreds

of fx patches for the 'right' sound(whatever that is).

another thing to think about is that

the computer is an optically biased medium. . .

and its music composition software is framed in the language of graphic design.

the trick is to transform the parameters of these definitions and defaults.

Guest BROWNer

my uncle rocks reason.....looks fun.

if you want the cutting edge...

you're gonna have to drop some coin and

get with Max/MSP.

realtime, improv-abling illness.

with max/msp you have unlimited parameters,

unlike analog shit where you can only turn

your envelopes to whatever whatever...

reaktor as well.

anything max based is the shit.

max/msp would be the exception to what

i was talking about.

for image/video nerds, max/nato will blow your mind.

I think you missed my point... I'm not defending idiots with amazing gear... I'm saying, yeah, 'personally'... why limit yourself? I mean, I'm basically a guitar player and I've heard MANY MANY MANY bad renditions of Eruption in the music stores, but I don't dismiss Van Halen because of it... If 'you' can't use the tools at your disposal whose fault is that?

Did you ever record direct to tape? (just to toot my own horn, we had a Teac 8-track rolling Ampex steel back in 87)... Anyway, it used to be recording technicians that really had the market cornered when it came to outboard effects... now the onus has been shifted, via the modern options, to the musician. There's alot to be learned, but I think dismissing the accquisition of knowledge is a futile fight.

I mean, I've been a graphic artist for close to 8 years now and I've been dealing with the way nerds (aka software designers) translate common drawing techniques and tools into a digital format... let me tell you, if you don't know... the nerds are idiots... they have NO idea... I actually got into an argument, that I didn't start, with some software salesman at an Xmas party when I off-handedly remarked that I found Adobe's "improvements" to Illustrator rather confusing and less intuitve than previous versions... I told him I'd been using the programs daily for close to 15 years, and even went to a Kodak school for training on Photoshop 1.0 and as an actual end-user I think my opinion was entirely more valid than a guy who sells software that he doesn't even know how to use...

I'm not trying to say you're like that guy but I'm citing an extreme example of how this train of thought can be detrimental

the thing with options in software these days

is that there are SO MANY. its absurd and it, for me, gets in the way of

actually doing anything. of course you can do alot

with these, but i found that it gets frustrating as hell, becuz

you end up spending way too much time going through your hundreds

of fx patches for the 'right' sound(whatever that is)

that's why i never get around to finishing anything on fruity loops.. there's so much shit... and i get bored.... and slowly lose interest in what i'm doing.... then i go rock out on a farfissa organ all day...

Guest BROWNer
Originally posted by Smart

There's alot to be learned, but I think dismissing the accquisition of knowledge is a futile fight.

...?

i don't think i came close to this ^, i'm saying there's something to be said for making something you deem extraordinary while not having the luxury of 12, 000 special, easy to use, one click options like most industry standard audio apps. OPTIONS not KNOWLEDGE. i'm sure you work much differently than i, so i can't really relate to you, i get the feeling you make guitar type music, which i don't.

part of what i'm getting at is that these programs allow you to make perfectly synced, pristine music. thats great i guess, but i'm into mistakes and fuck ups. its a way of giving yourself options through something you've done directly, from fucking around with the actual waveform or whatever, as opposed to going up to your bar and pulling down hundreds of slick options that do it for you instead. in pro tools you can get everything just right, in cubase you can sequence things perfectly, in my cheezy shit freeware program that only opens a max 10mb file, you have to move pieces of sound around and use math directly, it doesn't auto default into its perfect little slot. this creates alot of mistakes, off kilter whatever's and basically opens up discovery. making things easy is great, nothin' wrong with that, but to a point.

you can make things that are just as incredible as some studio boffin pro with limited options.

oiaihoibn['oaibeorib.???

Re: shit man...

Originally posted by zorak

i write my own music. i've been playing bass, drums, and guitar for eleven years now... i've been in shitty bands.

there is point were experimenting with electronic music and synthesizers becomes appealing even for the hard core musician. ever listen to do make say think or tortoise? how about explosions in the sky? all great music based upon samples and synths of some sort...

i'm a psycho when it comes to analog. all my effect pedals are analog as is my tube amp, but computers have their place too... especially in electronic music (of course). don't hate just because it's computer based.

dudes like vinyl junkie enjoy a slightly successful career writing electronic music...

but in my experience (i use a mac, i don't fuck with pc's, so i have never really fucked around much with fruity loops) fruity loops lets you play with music you haven't written... granted you can tweak it and it can end up sounding rather far from it's original form, but it's still not your music...

don't assume someone's hating on a whole form of music, maybe it's just your choice of programs...

...?

i don't think i came close to this ^, i'm saying there's something to be said for making something you deem extraordinary while not having the luxury of 12, 000 special, easy to use, one click options like most industry standard audio apps. OPTIONS not KNOWLEDGE.

And I'm saying there's nothing wrong with having the options, one click or not, but true compositional skill is derived from knowing how all those things will affect your sound before you apply the effect, and having the taste to stick to the basics most of the time... options are good, Knowledge is power.

i'm sure you work much differently than i, so i can't really relate to you, i get the feeling you make guitar type music, which i don't.

and you couldn't be farther from the truth, I haven't had a decent pre-amp with 1/4 inch inputs for over 5 years, or a decent guitar amp for close to 10 (if I play out I rent)... I have used a couple shitty tape decks and I do have a mixing board but I make music that is pretty much exclusively electronic.

part of what i'm getting at is that these programs allow you to make perfectly synced, pristine music. thats great i guess, but i'm into mistakes and fuck ups. its a way of giving yourself options through something you've done directly, from fucking around with the actual waveform or whatever, as opposed to going up to your bar and pulling down hundreds of slick options that do it for you instead.

I've spent my entire recording career capturing the feel of a live performance, perfection is nice but organized imperfection is the best.

in pro tools you can get everything just right, in cubase you can sequence things perfectly, in my cheezy shit freeware program that only opens a max 10mb file, you have to move pieces of sound around and use math directly, it doesn't auto default into its perfect little slot. this creates alot of mistakes, off kilter whatever's and basically opens up discovery. making things easy is great, nothin' wrong with that, but to a point.

you can make things that are just as incredible as some studio boffin pro with limited options.

oiaihoibn['oaibeorib.???

I still do math all the time, though I have a nifty little beat calculator that saves me from some of the more ugly problems like figuring out multi-tap delay times on paper... I really don't use that many "options" either, but I'm not gonna spite myself either... if I need ring modulation, I need ring modulation... most of the time it's only some delay and a tasteful reverb, MAYBE some chorus

Archived