Freights - Last Movement? or not?

optimo

I hear people talking about freight train graffiti being the last graffiti movement on a daily basis. In 1982, in New York, no one ever thought that subway trains would be as clean as they are now. I took this into consideration, and thought to myself " Freights will eventually not run, and people will stop hitting them, even though in some areas, they are completley safe to do". But then I thought, "graffiti won't just die, now will it?"... Then, a month or two later, I saw a few tags on an 18 wheeler, and it hit me. The next graff movement is going to be trucks, 18 wheelers that roll down the highway. After discussing this with a friend of mine, I came to the conclusion that the only problem with trucks is that most are owned by small private companies who have time to buff. However, there's a possibility that some will run for years in some cases. Like if the company who owned it didn't care because it was just plain white (like most are), or maybe if the truck was being 'borrowed' by a different company for a while, and didn't have either the resources or money to clean it off (like a railbox). I thought of the advantages also, such as the exposure of highway bombing, but with the mobility of freight trains. In my head, this is just a far fetched fiction story, yet still a slim possibilty.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think it could happen? If so when?, and if not, why not?

I'm sorry if this is a confusing mess of run on and incomplete sentences or phrases. I just think too much. :idea: :idea:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by ARCEL

*actually, i was thinking about this last night, and i think shipping containers may be the future

BINGO

most truckers still have too much of a personal investment to let shit slide. lots of smaller companies who care about the equipment. whereas shipping containers are owned by gigantic remote shipping companies. plus appearance matters a lot less for containers.

but freights arent going anyhwere. trust me.

I wouldn't worry about fr8s dying out, 18 wheelers will catch the buff. For instance UPS cleans their tractors daily, and trailers are cleaned whenever they are at a terminal with a wash facility. Its a image they portray to their customers. Buffing a trailer would be a whole lot easier too, with the flat surface depending on the make and model of the trailer. Alot of cleaning chemical companies sell washes designed for graffiti, and spraypaint would wash right off the sides of aluminum trailers with the right wash. Plus most truckers carry some sort of protection, depending where you hit the trailers, be it a truck terminal (w/ security), or a truckstop...Oh, yeah stay away from Lot Lizards (truckstop whores)!

containers are easy as, but work in the business long enough and you notice which companies buff and which dont. dont bother hitting NYKU, SUDU, TTNU, PCIU boxes, they all buff. theres a few others as well. Since i work for a container shipping company, i got a security pass for the shipping terminals, so you get to play with around 1 million containers whenever ya feel like it.

about the containers

granted, the containers go around the world, but it seems to me that they would not have as much visibility as a boxcar. let's say that you do a container in the yard. i assume that the container will either get loaded onto a ship, or go to a customer, unload its contents, and then what ? i have also seen special flatbed trucks carrying these containers. but i get the feeling that exposure to the public would be less, and there would be more down time while a container sits somewhere or is on a ship

Originally posted by rob deer

...before I have to always go over toys at the layup!

HAHA. I can't remember the last time I have a fresh panel with nothing on it. Flatties attract tags and hollows like flies to flypaper. I'm forever going over toys. It's so bad I always bring a can for "background" detail. That's sad. I know I'm not alone. Great.

freights- theyll never die. there will always be layups in bumfuck where those eho want to paint, will paint. there is a comfortable number of freights rolling. enough to make it hard to buff, and few enough to see your lines roll by again and again. and visibility is high for freights with rr crossings holding up cars and captive audiences. and there is something beautiful and american about the movement that cant be harnessed by any other medium.

containers- there are too many of them. i used to live in a port city where thousands were stacked in waiting for years. its too much of a problem to bust detailed pieces on those ridgy boxes. especially if they are just going to sit in a yard, rotting. i dont get the feel from them that freights or subway cars do. and no one will see them except for a few workers in the container yards. and do they even get to the middle of the u.s.? i know they circulate on the coasts, but the freights are great cause they go everywhere.

truck backs- i do not want to fuck with a trucker's load. they have guns and sticks and they are fat and methed up. those things dont ride very far and the risk isnt worth the payoff. what does anyone know about the UHAUL/RYDER moving lines? do they buff on the regular? i have managed to do quite a few of those and ive seen other artists come off in my town.

well thats my opinion. but dont listen to me im just a southern dreamer/

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

ONE TIME I DID A FILL ON A U-HALL TRUCK. I FIGURED IT'D GET BUFFED IN LIKE A COUPLE DAYS OR WHATEVER BUT IT NEVER DID. I WAS CONSTANTLY SEEING THIS TRUCK ON THE STREETS. SO ME AND MY BOY WENT BACK AND BOMBED THE WHOLE LOT.THIS WAS LAST WINTER AND THAT SHITS STILL LIVING.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest rob deer

freights are on wheels and always have the ability to move

and my backround color was "hosta leaf" the other night.

what's gonna be crazy is when kids start to battle for spots on the local freight lines...or say crush a short line's yard for a year straight TRYING to stick with the locals. Then we'll go back to "who left you king of the yackety yack yard?"

It does make it easier to go all country if you do move around though and get to all the major lines. I see clean boxes pretty often but just knowing that line always comes back clean means I'd be probably get seen in bumfuk canada more often than before.

I see tons of indescrete tags on uhauls, some alien handstyle, always cool.

freights will never die without some catostrophic event. i caught ns high cubes blt 6-o3. if the industry were to knowingly discontinue the use of boxcars, componaies would not still be building new equipment. but even if boxcars were to be phased out of the rail industry...it is would be far too expensive to haul massave amounts of bulk freight by truck from one end of the country to the other. so as long as powder river basin has coal, and as long as concrete and plastic pellets are in high demand. freights will exist.

I have often pondered on the container issue. since they are transported overseas, it would be pretty sick to hit them, and have foreign writers hit them as well...it would bring into reality the term "all world" most container storage areas are pretty hot though...at least where im at. especially since 9-11. also containers can not provide that sense of instant gratification that bulk freight provides so i dont think kids will get on it unless it becomes a last resort. as well, containers are not trains and simply lack the lore that makes freight so appealing. same with trucks.

even though freights are 100X more smashed than they were 10 years ago, there is still no end in sight. its not realistic to compare freights to transit in ny. 7000 cars verses a million plus is really no comparison.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by ARCEL

there are a lot more freight cars than nyc subway cars. the rail companies do not have the resources to keep the cars clean, doing so would not be realistic.

*actually, i was thinking about this last night, and i think shipping containers may be the future

yeah

death of freights???

freight train painting will never die if there is a need for fr8s...if you think about it, even if all yards were secure and locked down hard as fuck, and layups didnt exist in bum fuck where ever land...lines have to still stop for clearance, and i personally hit tons of shit like this doing just real big nice readable simples that take like 15 minutes...and this is why fr8s wont die completely...the area is too big and there are too many for companies to canvas like subways did!

whatever who cares anyhow

• 2 weeks later...

AS LONG AS THEY STILL MAKIN PAINT ,GRAFFITI AINT GOIN NOWHERE.PLUS THAY CANT CONTROL ALL THE FREIGHTS,THERES JUST TO MANY.THEY COULD TRY TO BUFF SHIT QUICKER ,BUT THATS JUST WHY WE HAVE TO PUT IN MORE WERK.....WHILE THERE BUFFIN ONE WILL BE PRODUCING TEN......THAY WILL ONLY STOP US IF WE LET THEM.............