Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Freights - Last Movement? or not?

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by optimo, Sep 1, 2003.

1. optimo

optimo Junior Member

I hear people talking about freight train graffiti being the last graffiti movement on a daily basis. In 1982, in New York, no one ever thought that subway trains would be as clean as they are now. I took this into consideration, and thought to myself " Freights will eventually not run, and people will stop hitting them, even though in some areas, they are completley safe to do". But then I thought, "graffiti won't just die, now will it?"... Then, a month or two later, I saw a few tags on an 18 wheeler, and it hit me. The next graff movement is going to be trucks, 18 wheelers that roll down the highway. After discussing this with a friend of mine, I came to the conclusion that the only problem with trucks is that most are owned by small private companies who have time to buff. However, there's a possibility that some will run for years in some cases. Like if the company who owned it didn't care because it was just plain white (like most are), or maybe if the truck was being 'borrowed' by a different company for a while, and didn't have either the resources or money to clean it off (like a railbox). I thought of the advantages also, such as the exposure of highway bombing, but with the mobility of freight trains. In my head, this is just a far fetched fiction story, yet still a slim possibilty.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think it could happen? If so when?, and if not, why not?

I'm sorry if this is a confusing mess of run on and incomplete sentences or phrases. I just think too much. :idea: :idea:

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

there are a lot more freight cars than nyc subway cars. the rail companies do not have the resources to keep the cars clean, doing so would not be realistic.

*actually, i was thinking about this last night, and i think shipping containers may be the future

3. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

BINGO
    most truckers still have too much of a personal investment to let shit slide. lots of smaller companies who care about the equipment. whereas shipping containers are owned by gigantic remote shipping companies. plus appearance matters a lot less for containers.

but freights arent going anyhwere. trust me.

4. Bosco

Bosco Member

I wouldn't worry about fr8s dying out, 18 wheelers will catch the buff. For instance UPS cleans their tractors daily, and trailers are cleaned whenever they are at a terminal with a wash facility. Its a image they portray to their customers. Buffing a trailer would be a whole lot easier too, with the flat surface depending on the make and model of the trailer. Alot of cleaning chemical companies sell washes designed for graffiti, and spraypaint would wash right off the sides of aluminum trailers with the right wash. Plus most truckers carry some sort of protection, depending where you hit the trailers, be it a truck terminal (w/ security), or a truckstop...Oh, yeah stay away from Lot Lizards (truckstop whores)!

5. .:wizo:cdc:.

.:wizo:cdc:. New Jack

i LOVE hittin trucks, me and my boy hit them with no worries, we sit and talk and chill and hit em at our spot, i looove the way that they get seen...but i dont think freights will die...

6. KALIS

KALIS Junior Member

containers are easy as, but work in the business long enough and you notice which companies buff and which dont. dont bother hitting NYKU, SUDU, TTNU, PCIU boxes, they all buff. theres a few others as well. Since i work for a container shipping company, i got a security pass for the shipping terminals, so you get to play with around 1 million containers whenever ya feel like it.

7. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

about the containers

granted, the containers go around the world, but it seems to me that they would not have as much visibility as a boxcar. let's say that you do a container in the yard. i assume that the container will either get loaded onto a ship, or go to a customer, unload its contents, and then what ? i have also seen special flatbed trucks carrying these containers. but i get the feeling that exposure to the public would be less, and there would be more down time while a container sits somewhere or is on a ship

8. curious

curious Member

Most 18 wheeler yards, have heavy security around them because
    they are moving all kinds of frieght. So i dout that would happen.

9. rob deer

rob deer Guest

are you serious? there's a freight train movement?

we gotta derail that quick type before I have to always go over toys at the layup!

10. porque

porque Senior Member

...this is just crazy talk...

11. hashy

hashy New Jack

don tink frieghts will die but iv only seen a tag on the side of a bus ONCE in my life so i tink there is somtin in buses.

12. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

They wiill not die but eeven if they did some old school dudes would revive it with a little paint to steel ressecictation!

13. Southern kid

Southern kid Elite Member

HAHA. I can't remember the last time I have a fresh panel with nothing on it. Flatties attract tags and hollows like flies to flypaper. I'm forever going over toys. It's so bad I always bring a can for "background" detail. That's sad. I know I'm not alone. Great.

14. AvoidsoutH

AvoidsoutH Junior Member

freights- theyll never die. there will always be layups in bumfuck where those eho want to paint, will paint. there is a comfortable number of freights rolling. enough to make it hard to buff, and few enough to see your lines roll by again and again. and visibility is high for freights with rr crossings holding up cars and captive audiences. and there is something beautiful and american about the movement that cant be harnessed by any other medium.

containers- there are too many of them. i used to live in a port city where thousands were stacked in waiting for years. its too much of a problem to bust detailed pieces on those ridgy boxes. especially if they are just going to sit in a yard, rotting. i dont get the feel from them that freights or subway cars do. and no one will see them except for a few workers in the container yards. and do they even get to the middle of the u.s.? i know they circulate on the coasts, but the freights are great cause they go everywhere.

truck backs- i do not want to fuck with a trucker's load. they have guns and sticks and they are fat and methed up. those things dont ride very far and the risk isnt worth the payoff. what does anyone know about the UHAUL/RYDER moving lines? do they buff on the regular? i have managed to do quite a few of those and ive seen other artists come off in my town.

well thats my opinion. but dont listen to me im just a southern dreamer/
    :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

15. otto dix

otto dix Veteran Member

yea, methed out, speeded up, tweeker truckers will ring necks...unless they are in the back with a lot lizard.^^^^