Freight Yard Maps

proof

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

heres some ways i found to get nice overhead shots (real pics too!)

go to www.mapquest.com

enter in an address close to the tracks where you want to go...

it will find it and put a star where the address is.... then just follow the tracks by pointing and clicking on them and finding the layup...

there is an option for satellite image or "photo image" or something on mapquest but you ned an aim or aol account or something to access it..

anyways, zoom in al the way and your set... its not the best or most detailed, but it does show you where all the main access points and roads around the place are...

shadeone

yeah

Originally posted by Ronnie Dobbs

damn shit fuck thanks kid! i just found some handy escape routes

I dont know how your your road maps are planned out, but in Australian street directories it shows u all lines, off cut tracks, roads accessing etc, all i can say is do ya homework, reap maps n sus lines out.

Itll be worth it, but dont get discouraged if u walk for miles n find nothing, sometimes that happens.

But then again, other times u may find what your looking for.

peace Zinasta..

i was going to mention mapquest but somebody beat me to it. that seriously comes in handy, ive found at least one yard that way. but just because you have an overhead picture dosent mean you can just traipse in there as soon as you find where its at. take your time, be observant of the yards surroundings. is it a residential area, do cops set speed traps near there often, how far is the nearest police station, is there any major roads near by, etc etc etc.

Originally posted by rusto-man

unless you got your own plane then thats not going to happen. just walk the line....thats the only advice i can give you. might find a dope spot too.

TAKE HIS ADIVICE I'M SURE JUST LIKE LOTS OF KIDS ON 120Z I'VE FOUND DOPE ASS LAY-UPS JUST BY WALKIN THE LINES, JUST LIKE 3 WEEKS AGO I WAS WALKIN A LINE AND IT SPLIT OFF IN TO THESE TREES AFTER WALKING FOR ANOTHER 10-15 MIN THEREAS A LINE OF ABOUT 7 OR 8 CN FLATS AND R-BOXES LAID UP RIGHT THERE IN WOODS TREES ON BOTH SIDES NO REAL CHANCE OF GETTING CAUGHT.. SO JUST WALK THE LINES YOU MIGHT FIND SOME THING BETTER THEN A YARD. AND MOST GOOD MAPS WILL HAVE TRACKS

( MAIN LINES )AND YARD LOCATIONS AND SHIT IF YOUR TO LAZY TO WALK GET IN A CAR AND DRIVE AROUND IF YOUR NEAR ANY MAJOR CITY YOU'LL FIND A YARD...

If You're Looking For Local Information

I just use regular street maps, they are usually pretty accurate. I belong to Triple A, and they will mail me maps for free for whatever town I ask for, so when I'm planning a hop, I request all the street maps for towns I don't already have that are between me and my destination. I have about twenty street maps around the house.

The rail lines are clearly marked on regular street maps, but there have been enough changes recently here in Houston that some of the info on the map is no longer true. For instance, the MKT line that went between the Eureka wye in Houston and the town of San Marcos, Texas, no longer exists. They tore out the tracks. The rail line between the east approach to Eureka Yard and the Hardy Yards north of downtown (near the U of H Downtown campus) also is decommissioned. And the old SP route between Bellaire Junction and the town of El Campo, Texas, has been torn up. That roadway will become the new Westpark Toll Road between the 610 West Loop and Highway 6 on the west side of Houston.

Nevertheless, regular street maps can tell you a LOT about where yards are, where lay-ups are, etc. Hi-lite the rail lines with a marker (I use yellow) and then go to places on the map that appear to offer good opportunities. I have identified several logical locations for hobo jungles using map recconnaisance, and I am correct about 80% of the time.

Walking the line or bicycling the line is the absolutely best way to gather intelligence about the rail lines. Take your map with you and make notes, sketches and take snap shots. Be careful though--9/11 spooked the railroad special agents bad. They are looking hard for people doing exactly what I have just suggested. BE UNOBTRUSIVE.

terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com is easier to use sometimes. A good way to keep your bearings looking at the photos is to have a mapquest window open and move through both at the same time.

Hobby shops that have a lot of model railroad/railfan stuff sometimes carry "timetables" which are published for most sections of major railroads. They're a little hard to read at first but they will show you layups, passing tracks, yards, etc. with milepoints. That way you know where to look on terraserver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I def recommend terraserver. They have aerial and topo maps of any given area. What is also good if you driving around your state looking is the big red delorme topographical atlases. they have all faetures, lines, row's, grade, elevation, streams, roads classes etc. mapquest usually only shows roads or things relationships to roads etc etc etc...

Re: yeah

Originally posted by Zinasta

I dont know how your your road maps are planned out, but in Australian street directories it shows u all lines, off cut tracks, roads accessing etc, all i can say is do ya homework, reap maps n sus lines out.

Itll be worth it, but dont get discouraged if u walk for miles n find nothing, sometimes that happens.

But then again, other times u may find what your looking for.

peace Zinasta..

buy a map---it works!!!!!!!! i have 30% of ohio maped out-yards/lay ups and all kinds of goodies!!!!!!GOD I LOVE ROAD TRIPS AND SUNDAY DRIVES/LONG WALKS DOWN TRACKS!!! DO YER HOMEWORK IT PAYS OFF!!!!!!

KA KA KA,,,

Archived