Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Freight fatigue

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by Cracked Ass, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

This could be called "getting jaded", and I don't want to point any fingers because I'm guilty of all the things I'm about to mention. But...
    Lately I'm sick of looking at freight pieces, unless there's something really outstanding about them. Not so much tired of styles: I'm tired of the same old placement of freight pieces, particularly on boxcars. Always in the same spot, down low where you can reach, just to the right of the numbers, and second choice is the bar side, and maybe somebody squeezes onto the door. Same old bottom locked blobs of color in the same place. Maybe once in a while somebody goes e2e by themselves, but they go only for size and it's sloppy or uninspired.
    I think freights need a new spark, a greater sense of composition, how the piece relates to the car itself. If you can sit there and burn in the usual spot like Chisme or Hybrid or 21rak, I'm not complaining, but overall heads aren't paying much attention to how their piece looks on a particular car. I keep looking at these extended height boxes, some of them nice and flat, and people are killing each other fighting for the same few square feet along the bottom, and I look up above the numbers and there's this huge blank space, ripe for exploitation.
    Of course placement is a function of what everybody can reach, and a lot of spots don't give you much choice, you have to be in and out. But I think people with chill spots should be making better use of freight space. We need more wholecars, more t2bs, e2es, "Hot Wheels" type ideas, productions, diagonal pieces, whatever. If you have a chill spot, and aren't wack, get inspired this year and experiment with positioning, or just do some wholecars.
    I hate to resurrect the euro cleans vs. US freights zombie, but in one way some of the Euro haters have a point: they're doing wholecars in the most dangerous, high security spots, and US freight heads with chill spots are putting out these small, unambitious mini-panels.
    Like I said, I'm guilty, I have all kinds of crap running. And it's better to get a standard-sized piece in the usual spot than see a blank car. But with style arguments going nowhere, I think the next move on freights is about size, composition, and quality.

2. cheesecurd

cheesecurd Guest

so what if you don't have some chill spot?
    what if your yard is almost as scary as some euro clean train yard? what if you just fucking hate doing a busted ass throw up for a whole car?
    if I lived over there you sure as fuck wouldn't catch me doing some whole train that looked like a silver dipped turd.
    what if you don't like cheating with montana paint?

if you're so jaded, do a wall.

if you feel like making it fun again...burn over crappy stamps and tags. this is my new mission. its' about competition. I don't hit the clean boxes anymore if I can help it. I try to rock hard enough so that I dont' leave even a peice of the backround left up. and then you can sleep better knowing that you improved and beautified something.
    plus I'll feel better cause I won't have so much crap out there if people would do the same.

I'm defenitly feeling you on how peice placement is slightly uninspired, but how many floaters can take 5 do? (yeah I've seen at least one though.) and if you're bent on squeezing in your peice in, say my favorite part of the box, the far right past the black box and over the ladder...style becomes an issue cause you don't always have proper space to rock strong letters.

to each their own I guess...

you should just be glad that CAP one didn't get into killing fr8's...then everyone would be doing 2 foot high black and whites like "takt" or "maest."
    play on players.

3. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

thats fucking comedy.....

4. Mike bibby

Mike bibby Guest

pretty soon all fr8s are going to look like the rockhoppers out of santacruz, just crap over crap on every train, that will be the day i quit fr8s..

5. VAITOMANOCU

VAITOMANOCU Member

i used to have a chill spot which led to me being inspired...but things aint what they used to be

i had dreams of someday doing a wholecar or at least an e2e, but i don't think that'll ever be realized

6. El Sodoma

El Sodoma New Jack

Just do passenger trains.

7. skunkjuice

skunkjuice New Jack

i'm into it..
    what immediately comes to mind is the ges in the top left corner of the train.

and how the fuck is using montana cheating? i don't get it.. maybe its because you don't have to do 2 or 3 coats with crap paint. could be because the colour selection is better though..

8. VAITOMANOCU

VAITOMANOCU Member

i'm also thinking of that geser CHTT...caught that a while ago and it was nice

9. porque

porque Senior Member

...i understand cracked's complaint but i think the issue has less to do with the lack of style originality and more to do with the lack of numbers inspiration...it's just too damn hard to get your numbers up enough to make a huge difference, there's probably at least a hundred people out there doing 500 freights a year...and they're all just rockin panels...i'm all for gettin creative and i'm interested to see some new spark to the freights...but i also have to say that i love the way a piece sits on a panel...

10. ghostvandal

ghostvandal Senior Member

i went alone tonight and i tried to do what you said. I did my piece at the right end (I put tape on the #) and on the ladder. and it came out suprisingly pretty clean. I just hope it wont be gone tomorow as i go get my flicks

11. Sorc bcj

Sorc bcj Member

you should just be glad that CAP one didn't get into killing fr8's...then everyone would be doing 2 foot high black and whites like "takt" or "maest."
    play on players. [/B][/QUOTE]

for the record, maest rocks...

12. curious

curious Member

the rails need more color and larger pieces.
    oh well, im doing my part.

13. cheesecurd

cheesecurd Guest

14. Average White Railfan

Average White Railfan Senior Member

personally, im a panel type. I hear and understand the argument. but even when I find chill spots, where I would have the time to pull off a t2b, or an upside piece I wouldn’t. for the simple fact I like panels. second of all, I hate floaters on trains. so if I ever did anything on the upside of a freight, it would have to be a t2b, as to keep my open bottom philosophy. which brings me to my next point. I’m not trying to beat the fossil of a horse, but I think its unfair to compare European writers ability to pull off whole cars with American freight writers whole-cars. I’ve never been to Europe, but knowing a little bit about public transportation, I’m sure the majority of writers painting whole-cars over there are taking advantage of catwalks in tunnels and yards. I’ve never seen a catwalk in a freight yard. some spots may have a dock or if you get lucky you can catch a box car or whatever next to a gondola or inter-modal car. but the majority of American freight whole cars are done by diehard motherfuckers who have the stamina, to tote big ass ladders, and ample paint out to the lay-up, and in all honesty, that just isn’t me, I just don’t have it in me to spend 6 hours WORKING on one piece. And if that makes me a lazy no good son of a bitch, than so be it. I also hate painting on ladders, even when its a full on legal wall, so there is no way in hell I’m carrying one out to a train yard. To top it all off, when you got guys like Zore and king 157 running around pulling off t2b, e2es’, on holyrollers, with style, not just huge roll paint block busters, it doesn’t do much for your self-esteem.

To the argument of boredom with styles however, I think cats like Lewis (with the walk the plank piece) or Mber with the chick magnet, and the “e” is outta here piece, or nsf (with the hot wheels car) or even that guy gore-b with those scenic pieces are definitely providing that variety, for me at least. I like fun looking graffiti, with a gimmick. I can say I would certainly like to see more. But I’m satistfied just seeing graffiti on trains, from the cars killed with tags and hollows, to the run of the mill styles, to whole cars.

Waste of space. Hmmmmm. Good point, I never looked at it like that since there are still so many untouched cars, but I see the point. What I think is an even bigger waste of space is how biased a lot freight writers are when it comes to car selection. I know writers in cities with endless fields of grainers, gondolas, tanks etc, but nobody paints them…everybody wants the boxcars. So I stand there benching and a grainer, or a gray belly unit rolls by with nothing on it, maybe a tag and a shore piece at best. Meanwhile people are fighting over boxcar space. I’ve made it a point NOT to touch any boxcars this year. For me its high time to get running on all the shit that most writers turn their nose up at.

15. Sorc bcj

Sorc bcj Member

e-mail me.