1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Freedom vs. Safety

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Pistol, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Freedom vs. Safety

Discussion started by Pistol - Sep 11, 2001

I know alot of kids in here are anti government and are against "big brother' and shit. But with todays act of terrorism I was wondering. Would you be willing to give up part of your freedom in exchange for the possiblity of being safer. You know how pissed off we get waiting in line at the metal detector at the airport and getting searched or padded down at places. People trip thinking about cameras in the restrooms thinking they gonna bust you tagging. By the way if cameras are in or around restrooms it's not for busting writers it's for making sure no one get molested in there. It is a serious thought one must consider. Voice you opinion on this...

------------------
    "The great man is sparing in words and prodigal in deeds."
    Confucius , Analects

[​IMG]

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. Harpo Marx

Harpo Marx 12oz Senior Member

Harpo Marx - Replied Sep 11, 2001

Well it depends on the freedom I give up. If it's an unnecessary freedom then sure. But if it's something that will effect a lot of people, then aint-no-way because sometimes you have to take that risk. We're never gauranteed anything. That's why we shouldn't take anything for granted, becuase all it takes is a single second and everything can change. Im guilty of not being thankful for things. And I know I should and that I could have it a lot worse of.

Harpo Marx - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  3. OGBforMumia

OGBforMumia 12oz Member

OGBforMumia - Replied Sep 11, 2001

we (americans) take to much for granted. im guilty. but we should be so lucky to have a conversation to "debate" on giving up some freedom for safety. when people out there cant do the same...

OGBforMumia - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. Apelles

Apelles 12oz Member

Apelles - Replied Sep 11, 2001

I dunno. I could get all hardcore and say. "LIVE FREE OR DIE!!!", but I won't. It really depends on the freedom.

------------------
    AIM: DurtyTrol

Apelles - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. bug

bug Guest

bug - Replied Sep 11, 2001

it's so petty how privalaged americans can have the brain space to worry about where we can put up our tags, while right now in other parts of the world, people just struggle to find food and medicine.

6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied Sep 11, 2001

Exactly we bitch about paying 6 bucks a can for montana when there's hundreds of thousands starving in Africa,China....

7. raildeviant

raildeviant 12oz Member

raildeviant - Replied Sep 11, 2001

Problem is, the trade isn't a fair one...you are trading your privacy, your rights, your freedom for a FALSE sense of security....nothing can make you safer in this world...not even living in a bunker in the middle of the desert....the powers tha be use this trade as a means of keeping better tabs on people, not making them any safer.

raildeviant - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. DoSeR

DoSeR 12oz Senior Member

DoSeR - Replied Sep 11, 2001

as a writer and all writers should have a diffrent veiw on this....when i go out i want to have somethign no one has... i want to feel a rush of freedom a feeling no one can ever truly grasp...only slighty graze i would choose freedom over safety only cause its the only thing that can make you feel more alive than any other feeling.... but in any case... choose your side choose it early stick with your side and fight for what you belive in

DoSeR - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Poop Man Bob - Replied Sep 11, 2001

Well said.

Poop Man Bob - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  10. imported_SecretAgentX9 - Replied Sep 11, 2001

in my current drunken state i have to agree with you..

11. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Kr430n5_666 - Replied Sep 11, 2001

[​IMG]

------------------
    $$$666MAKROS666$$$

Kr430n5_666 - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  12. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied Sep 13, 2001

First off is this the right time to be posting random images? I know thats your "thing" but in the wake of everything.Oh well...
    I just wanted to say that I myself would be willing to give up some of my freedom in order to add to the protection of citizens as a whole. I don't know about the entire Big Brother deal. But I think about my studies of Ethics in school. One must weigh the good and the bad. Each bad "thing" counts as 1 point. Each good "thing" counts as 1 point. You add up all the points to see which one has the greater advantage. If random searches at airports or mandatory Sky Marshalls like we had in the 60's and 70's then so be it. Although I feel we should not give up our entire freedom because that is what America is and was founded on. If thats the case then the terrorist's have one by taking away our freedom. For those that think that we willnot gain any measurable amount of security no matter what the freedoms givin up. Let me point out 2 extremes. Although none are realistic I use them as merely a means of explanation. Suppose one could go on and off planes without metal detectors with out having to pass baggage checks(No matter how brain dead the employees) and we have another airport that does a full out body strip search. And the only luggage that can be taken must be in a clear see through plastic bag. Which one do you think is more resistant to terrorist attacks. Although there seems to be no clear way to prevent terrorism. By easing up on some of our freedoms to add to the security or at least piece of mind is worth it. If 1 life is saved by myself giving up a small portion of the many freedoms I as an American possess than I would be satisfied.
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Pistol (edited 09-13-2001).]

13. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Sep 13, 2001

yeh, then you could see in there, and then the metal would have to all be searched, that would be in a tupperware container so it doesn't stick ya through the plastic.

this is a good topic, everyone sounds like they have something in common. i'm not trying to piss people off by saying this but i'd rather not discuss the implications. i don't want this too, but it's gonna change. how can a not so criminal criminal pass unobsturbed. lets not discuss. fucked up shit is coming, today, good night. i wish everyone could just all know and not discuss, i know it won't happen but some of us will learn the hard way. and we can only speed things up by talking about it, be ready to see your worth around infront of you and be proud to show it to the world, because they're not going to be willing. anarchy today, peace tomorrow, and master plan on tuesday. uh, i'm going to read this post tommorrow and not understand a single word of it. i guess i just wish we had a solid lead or something, who were these people, any one of them. i feel bad for anyone who is violated in the process, but remember or kid yourself that it was good for the all. i'm going to bed now.

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

seeking innocense-seeking, i just wanted to see it bounce it's way down my screen. a little internet board propaganda never hurts anyone

15. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

loving that new banner by the way.