Free Willy Will DIE

Guest --zeSto--

Guest --zeSto--

well I never watched the movie,

but I probably have more respect for a whale

than I do for much of the entertainment industry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38182000/jpg/_38182094_keiko300.jpg'>

Keiko, the former performing whale who has made a new home in a Norwegian fjord, may have to be killed, a Norwegian expert has said.

Keiko swam to Norway, apparently in search of human contact, only six weeks after being freed from Iceland.

Whale expert Nils Oien now says Keiko has little chance of surviving a winter in the cold fjords, and even if he is moved again, is still likely to return.

"Personally, I doubt very much that Keiko will be able to feed in the long term," he told Norwegian state radio.

"This means that he would otherwise face starving to death. I therefore think that putting the whale down might perhaps be an alternative."

Full Story

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Europe

It was all over the news here too, apparently the expert have been getting deaththreaths all day for these statements... so maybe both Keiko and him will die...

Guest --zeSto--

He added that the aquariums which had

used Keiko as an object of entertainment

must now take responsibility for his current situation.

yep! how much cash did the movies make?

Millions? To bad you cant buy a whale back into the wild.

Originally posted by SkyDancer666

if they kill it, they'd better use a longboat and have vikings do the job, and then eat it. otherwise i'm gonna have to care....

HAHA YES!!!! exactly. They could do somthing worthwile with his life. And another thing, people might pay a good amount of money for his meat. You could donate the proceeds to a charity.

Get the kid a lapdance.

Norway Bans Contact With Keiko

Fri Sep 6,10:51 PM ET

By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer

OSLO, Norway (AP) - Norwegian officials on Friday barred people from getting near Keiko the killer whale, hoping to protect the star of the "Free Willy" movies from hordes of fans he appears to enjoy.

AP Photo

capt.1031328698.norway_keiko_ny192.jpg

Members of the team monitoring the orca's progress, Fernando Ugarte, left, and Colin Baird follow Keiko, the killer whale who became famous as the star of the "Free Willy" movies, on Monday, Sept. 2, 2002 in the Skaalvik Fjord, Norway, about 400 kilometers, 250 miles, northwest of Oslo. Norwegian authorities imposed a total ban on close contact with Keiko the killer whale on Friday, hoping to protect the star of the ``Free Willy'' movies from hordes of fans. (AP Photo/Scanpix, Kjell Herskedal)

AP Photo

lthumb.1031174210.norway_keiko_osl102.jpg

Keiko is photographed and stroked by vistors Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2002, in the Skaalvik Fjord, some 400 kilometers (250 miles) northwest of the Norwegian capital of Oslo. Keiko, the killer whale who became famous as the star of the ``Free Willy'' movies, has turned up in a Norwegian fjord some time after he was returned to the wild from his pen in Iceland. (AP Photo/Gorm Kallestad, SCANPIX)

Six weeks after he was released from his pen in Iceland, the six-ton orca turned up 870 miles away in a western Norwegian fjord last week, drawing crowds wanting to pet him, swim with him, and even climb on friendly whale's back.

Keiko, now about 25, was captured as a two-year-old off Iceland, and lived in a series of aquariums until his stardom in the three "Free Willy" films led to a project to return him to the open ocean.

Experts leading the $20 million project have pleaded with locals and tourists around the narrow inlet to leave the whale alone, even though he appears to thrive on human contact.

They also warned that all the attention could deprive Keiko of sleep and distract him from finding his own food.

Ivar Roen, head veterinarian for Moere and Romsdal County, where the Skaalvik fjord is located, said the ban was imposed because fans had not heeded appeals to leave Keiko alone. Hundreds of visitors have seen him each day, and officials fear thousands more will appear over the weekend.

The ban keeps unauthorized people from going within 165 feet of Keiko or feeding him, Roen said. Police will fine anyone who violates the ban.

Fans have thrown fish to the giant sea mammal, and Keiko's trainer, Colin Baird, said that makes him stay nearby rather than hunting for the 110 pounds of fish he needs daily.

"All the attention and feeding were preventing him from returning to a natural life, which was the purpose of the project," Roen said.

Baird hopes that with fewer distractions, Keiko will get bored and hungry and set off to find his own food, perhaps finding a pod of killer whales to join.

Since arriving in the fjord, Keiko has spent much of his time close to a floating boat dock, which sometimes appears to be close to sinking under the weight of dozens of fans.

Roen said the ban also took into account the need to protect people from injury, since Keiko's size and strength make him a hazard despite his friendliness.

Experts fear that Keiko could starve if he remains in the fjord or is trapped by ice during the winter. If he doesn't leave, they have said they could use fish to draw him out or find an area for him to spend the winter under human care.

capt.1031160287.norway_keiko_osl104.jpg

A visitor reaches out to pet Keiko, the killer whale who became famous as the star of the "Free Willy" movies, in the Norwegian Skaalvik Fjord, some 400 kilometers (250 miles) northwest of the capital Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2002. Keiko turned up in the fjord this past weekend, six weeks after being released from his pen in Iceland, where experts had spent years helping the orca make the transition from life in captivity to life in the wild. (AP Photo/SCANPIX, Gorm Kallestad)

1031080665.3557392432.jpg

Keiko the killer whale, star of the "Free Willy" movie, has turned up in a narrow Norwegian fjord, where he has made a splash with the locals. The 10-metre long whale, released into the wild just six weeks ago, even allowed children to ride on his back as he put on a display for them, showing he is the same playful ocra in real life as on screen. Trainer Peter Noah works out with Keiko in the frigid waters in Klettsvik in the Westman Islands in Iceland in this 1998 file photo. REUTERS/Stringer

capt.1030985485.norway_keiko_osl103.jpg

Norwegians, left to right, Odd Kyrre Lund, Oeyvind Lorentsen, and Kolbjoern Lorentsen, admire Keiko the killer whale, who became famous as the star of the "Free Willy" movies, in Norway's Skaalvik Fjord, Monday. Sept. 2, 2002. Keiko was returned to the wild some six weeks ago from his pen in Iceland and swam nearly 870 miles to this western Norway fjord. He rescued from a Mexico City amusement park in 1996 and rehabilitated at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Ore., before he was airlifted back to Iceland in 1998 and taught to catch fish. (AP Photo/Kare Hendset/Scanpix)

Originally posted by Europe

It was all over the news here too, apparently the expert have been getting deaththreaths all day for these statements... so maybe both Keiko and him will die...

even in italy this was on the news. well i assumed it was from what i could read.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

If not Vikings, then F-16 fighter jets armed to the teeth with air-to-ground missiles... put up a lovely fireworks display for the Norwegians. Bring sturdy umbrellas.

No, what they should do is set up some kind of pet whale care station... A nice little facility where Willy can come eat and do his thing, and still be able to visit people and stuff, all while being completely free. I think it'd be ill for a town to have a pet whale in their backyard. Beer,

El Mamerro

Guest willy.wonka

haha..i just read some of pistols reply...

i didnt know the poor guy was starving!!!!

bring him back to SEA WORLD where he can be happy!!

Archived