Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Frate Raper Will Hate This Story About Cars

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KaBar, Dec 24, 2002.

1. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

When I was in the Marines, back about 1981, I was stationed in Southern California, at Camp Pendleton MCB. .I actually lived in a mobile home park with my girlfriend (now my wife) who was a SCUBA diver. Our mobile home was like three minutes from the surf at Doheny State Park. I would grab my board, run out the back gate of the mobile home park, down the banks of the San Juan Creek, under the bridge at PCH and I was in the Pacific and paddling out. It totally rocked. The surf wasn't the greatest, but we had the occasional good day. I surfed a lot of weekday afternoons at Salt Creek (right down the road) but weekends, the waves at Salt Creek were too crowded with aggressive assholes.

People in California hate Marines. I think it's a cultural thing. Most Marines are working class, very few of them are from beach communities, very few are surfers or SCUBA divers or have any interest in the California beach lifestyle. Inland, the prejudice and animosity is not nearly as bad as it is on the coast.

Right near my house was a Carl's Jr. hamburger place. They have great burgers, at least, I like them. I could walk there, easy, it was like two blocks. So I was walking to Carls' Jr., and just as I get there, I hear a Porsche come snarling up the parking lot, and screech to a halt, parked all crosswise in the Handicapped Parking spot.

A couple of parking slots away, there was this greasy ass biker with Vagos MC colors and a lime green bandana on. The Vagos aren't super vicious, but they are pretty tough guys, certainly nobody to fuck with without a very good reason.

As the California cool guy gets out of his car with his beautiful knock-you-out chick (both wearing sunglasses) I said "Hey. That's a Handicapped Spot."
    The guy says, "Yeah, so?"
    I said, "You don't look handicapped."
    He said "I'm not."
    I said, "Why did you park there then?"
    He says, "Fuck off, you jarhead creep. I park wherever I please."
    I said, "You can't park there!"
    He says, "What you going to do about it?"

Then he and Miss Baywatch, laughing like a couple of assholes, go off to Carl's Jr's.

I stood there, fuming, knowing I was completely powerless.

The biker walks up. "Hey."

"Hey." I said.
    "That motherfucker was a real prick."
    "Yeah. Nothing I can do about it though."
    "Let's give him a ticket."

The Vago takes out a large folding knife, snaps it open, and proceeds to casually key the guys paint screeeiittcchhh! from stem to stern. I was standing there with my mouth open. Then he smiles real big, and cut all four tires on the sidewall. Pssshh! The Porsche was sitting on the pavement.

"You, uh, probably ought to split," he says.

Yeah, no shit. I took off walking as fast as I could without drawing any attention to myself, and went home. I heard the Harley start up, and slowly pull away, then, once he hit PCH, he twisted the wick.

I would have given anything to see that guy's face when he came out of that restaurant. But, not being completely stupid, I stayed home the rest of the day.
    All jarheads look alike. You know?

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

bump for socal in 1981
    i wish i was as old as i am now, in that time and place

3. post.

post. Guest

I live near Camp Pendleton... I see jarheads everyday. They're either very polite or extreme dickfaces.
    oh yeah I have a friend who works at the local jarhead strip club.

p.s. she doesn't make very good money.

4. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

It's not that everyone hates marines.
    Like post said. When you come across them, their either realy polite cool peoples or a fuckin' dumb ass prick's acting stupid.

5. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

That's Cause

Marines don't have much money. But, you got to give them credit, they will spend every last dime on booze and strippers. Shit, your friend ought to at least be happy she's doing her patriotic duty, LOL.

Until I met my girlfriend, my days at Camp Pendleton were about as lonely as any I have ever spent. I finally met another Marine I thought would be tolerable to live with (I was a 26-year-old corporal--an NCO (E-4)--but he was 20, and only a lance corporal (E-3)) and we rented a cheap-ass apartment on El Camino Real in north San Clemente, right across the street from a pool hall and a laundromat.

We got up a 0430 every day, rolled out of our respective beds and hit the floor for 100 push-ups. Whoever got to 100 first got to piss first. We ate corn flakes and beer and shit like that for breakfast, then arrived at the barracks in time for 0530 reveille. We worked all day in the 2/1 armory. At noon, we ran five miles, then wolfed down chow. We got off work at 1630. By 1700, I was surfing. At dark, I'd come home, change into PT gear, and we would run from our apartment to the San Clemente pier and back, wearing flack jackets. One time, just for the hell of it, we did it barefooted.
    After our evening run, we came home, ate fast food, had a few beers or some Jack, and squared away uniforms while listening to Elvis Costello, Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and what's-his-name "Bad to the Bone." Our uniforms were immaculate, razor sharp creases, spit-shined boots, freshly blocked covers. Our shit was tight. Thursdays was haircut day, Field Day at the barracks and Field Day at the apartment. Friday mornings, Uniform Inspection formation. Our weekends we spent surfing, or my buddy SCUBA-dived. And we went looking for girls, a complete and total waste of time in San Clemente. Sometimes we would take our HK91 rifles down to the quarry at San Carlos (I think) and shoot old refrigerators and old cars, shit like that. One Saturday we fired up a 1,000 round case between the two of us in about two hours or so. That rifle barrel was smokin'. Neither one of us had any respect for the M-16A1. We all called it a "poodle shooter." We spent our Saturday nights drunker than shit in the Swallow's Inn in San Juan Capistrano, CA. Man, I love that bar.

And then I met my wife, and she saved me from a life as a professional soldier.

I still hear from my buddy. He's an aeronautical engineer. I became a registered nurse. He calls me on November 10th every year, and we always say, "Semper fi, bro!" If I ever needed the guy, all I'd need to do is pick up that phone, and on the next plane out, I'd get the Marines, locked, cocked, and ready to rock.

6. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

Nice to hear some more stories

How's that book comin', Kabar? lol

7. When

When 12oz Loyalist

kabar i belive you are an inspiration for us all
    your stories are only getting more interesting as days go by
    keep on truckin'

8. yoshy

yoshy Member

good story kabar, thanks for posting it. if you have a chance, post
    some more....

9. me IS cool

me IS cool Guest

Your threads are always good KaBar.

10. yoink

yoink Elite Member

awesome, love these stories..my friends brother who was a marine visited us just recently, very nice guy, buying rounds of beers, talkative, and buitl like a fucking truck....he was also tryng to bone everything with two legs..but that was funny...then i met some army heli pilots in panama city also recently...(they were vacationing from rucker) they were complete dick weeds and tried their ever so hardest to impress the girls we were with...none the less they went back to their room emptyhanded and were heckled at...which was pleasing.

seriously its so true, some dudes in any of the branches can be tools, and some are just genuinely good company.

11. Frate_Raper

Frate_Raper Veteran Member

Dude thats rad,I'm not mad at that Biker at all.I would have stabbed that motherfucker not ruined his ride!

12. 455

455 Guest

13. socrates

socrates Guest

priorities in all the right the places

14. fr8oholic

fr8oholic Veteran Member

man, i love cars...

15. KaBar

KaBar Senior Member

Bad to he Bone

"George Thorogood" I couldn't remember that guy's name for anything! I liked his music back then, but it seems pretty poseur now. One of my favorites back then that has stood the test of time is Tom Waits. His girlfriend made some pretty good stuff too---her voice sounds sort of like a jazz singer zonked on downers.