For the tinfoil hat wearers amongst us

Hua Guofang

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In a sense, meh. This is what every data collection company is doing every day- manipulating people based on algorithms created by your everyday gathered data. Other half is basic social psychology, knowing that people process info differently dependent in part on mood and motivation and being able to recognize which pathway to best use based on that. Daily manipulations, shit you don't even see coming, worries me more than trying to influence which idiot to elect.

In a sense, meh. This is what every data collection company is doing every day- manipulating people based on algorithms created by your everyday gathered data. Other half is basic social psychology, knowing that people process info differently dependent in part on mood and motivation and being able to recognize which pathway to best use based on that. Daily manipulations, shit you don't even see coming, worries me more than trying to influence which idiot to elect.

I earned a minor in psych in the early 2000s and back then marketing left me uneasy as to the way it manipulates behaviour and leaves people somewhat defenceless to acts perpetrated against them without their consent. I've brought this up to Raven a couple of times before because I think he is a little hypercritical of what he sees as media and political manipulation when I believe he does the same thing for financial gain, being in marketing himself.

The internet has made the ability to collect data on individuals much easier and intensified it to a granular level in a way that sectors of society can be influenced to respond in certain ways that can alter society itself. Did you actually read the article? I mean we are all aware of data collection, what FB does, etc. etc. However the extent that this is occurring has increased dramatically in just a few years (like 4 years), there is little to no regulation around it and it is completely uncontrolled. Disregard the fact that this article is discussing an election and consider that those that have approx 5000 data points on you ARE carrying out daily manipulations that you haven't seen coming. Race relations in the US are being manipulated now by private organisations.

The acceleration of data collection (Jim Clapper said the other day that in the next 2 days more data will be created than between the end of WWII and the year 2000 - or some ridiculous time frame like that. Whatever it is it should be in the latest Global Trends report) is almost unfathomable and the ability to mine that data at the levels we have today is not well understood by those developing regulations to protect us (and themselves!) from misuse.

I was at a dinner with a quasi-government chap recently who is involved in spotting and acquiring new tech. His fear is the time when a single private citizen can 3D print a programmable nanobot which is able to replicate the behaviours of a neurotoxin or bacteria. It was a fear of his because he believed this point would be reached in his lifetime.

I used to read books about the future when I was a kid in the 1970/80s that were all about flying cars, moon colonies and robots doing housework. The rate of advancement was nowhere near as fast as they predicted and neither did it move in the direction they figured. The real direction is in behavioural and computing sciences and the rate of that direction is faster then predicted and picking up pace. THe acceleration of data collection and analysis in the very recent past is surprising to most. The way that it is being used by private actors (put it this way, the people that own Breitbart own Cambridge Analytics) is pretty shocking and the rate of advancement means the coming shocks are going to be greater and come with increasing rapidity.

I'm considering forecasting a more clear bifurcation of society between on and off grid civilisaitons. There are fringe dwellers we all know off in parts of the US, Aust. Canada, etc. who are off the data-grid. I wonder if we will see a rapid increase of more 'mainstream' folks moving off the grid as well in coming decades.