For the people who play guitar

Guest seno.oner

Guest seno.oner

Post up the top five guitarrists in your opinion for all the people who play.

Heres mine:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - SRV

Jerry Garcia- G-Dead

Paige- Zepplin

John Frusciante- RHCP

Kirk Hammet- Metallica

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

i'll take the albino over most listed.

but overall i personally feel derek bailey

completely clowns every and all guitarists.

i was only into "guitarists" for about a month in 7th grade. the usuals...hendrix, srv, blah blah but i really could care less about that kind of guitar playing anymore. i can respect the talent but im not into it. im a big fan of these people and their guitar playing abilities as well as the bands theyre in:

doug martsch-built to spill

dave knudson-botch, minus the bear

jay clark-kill sadie, pretty girls make graves, (also drummer for Sharks Keep Moving)

cody votolato-waxwing, the blood brothers

whoops....forgot to add my favorite CLASSIC:

Brian May-Queen

dont fucking sleep on this dude.....

Eh...I went through the guitar god phase as well, and much of that stuff I don't listen to anymore.

However, unlike most people fitting that description, I still have a lot of respect for those who did their thing and did not masturbate excessively with technical displays for their own sake. A lot of ignorant thugs seem to clown good guitar technique altogether, which is ridiculous. Yes, there were a few overindulgent Malmsteens who put a premium on most notes per second, but plenty of the oft-clowned guitar gods had good compositional sense and made some good music, which remains good even though my tastes have changed.

Still getting my respect:

Joe Satriani

Eric Johnson

Eddie Van Halen

Allan Holdsworth

Jimi Hendrix

There's more, but top 5 was the call.

I still think adherence to the top 5 is ridiculous... and just to prove it some more...

Ry Cooder

Paul Simon

Muddy Waters

Alvin Lee

Albert Collins

Steve Cropper

Roland Orzabal (or the other one, I forget who was the guitarist in Tearsa for Fears)

Jake E. Lee

Steve Morse

John Lee Hooker

Frank Gambale

Keith Richards

Joe Strummer

Richie Blackmore

Danny Gatton

Skunk Baxter

Larry Carlton

Pete Townsend

Roy Buchanan

Vince Gill

Andy Summers

Santana

Brad Gillis

Steve Howe

Jorma Kaukonen

Steve Stevens

Tom Morello

Sure, Tom is in no way one of the top 5 of all time... I thought this thread was your favorite 5 guitarists of all time.

Although, you can't deny, Tom Morello is one of todays' most innovative and creative guitarists, and I think he is quite talented.

He's, for sure, a cut above 90% of today's guitarists with their power chord solos, cheap Nirvana rip off progressions, $100,000 gear setups, etc.

Zesto --> Good call on the Winter situation!

And seriously... download SRV's instrumental version of Little Wing if you havent already heard! That shit is amazing..

Guest seno.oner

^^^^^bands today suck it seems like theres almost no one with any skill whatsoever.....its all this punk shit (i.e. the vines) they play like a chord the entire song (that was an exagerration) and suck... i fucking hate the korn kids at my school who think thier the greatest band ever. i went through that phase, but come on after a while you have to realize what a bad taste of music you have if you're still listening to them.

Guest PAYROLL

Re: Tom Morello

Originally posted by TRUE

Sure, Tom is in no way one of the top 5 of all time

ya gotdizznam right, he's not

Originally posted by TRUE

Although, you can't deny, Tom Morello is one of todays' most innovative and creative guitarists

yes, i can. i can and do fully deny that tom morello is either innovative or creative. is he playing a guitar or a stringed turntable? get learned, sonny. he cant touch any of the guitarists mentioned in this thread.

all of you that listed kirk hammet need to be shot. that guy did not contribute anything to the advancement of guitar playing, except for proof that there is indeed such a thing as too much wah wah

yer kidding....

off the top of my head:

No Remorse

Motorbreath

Hit the lights

don't make me dig through the old records and find out what other solos where he was using the wah in the early years

for the record, i really like the second solo on Welcome home where doubled it with the harmony. that solo is beautiful, other than that, there were way more creative guitarists form the heyday of shred.

I don't think that's a wah, it's just that hyper-midrange guitar tone of the late 80's thrash, maybe in No Remorse though, I can remember that solo hving some sort of envelope filter or something...

but how about Alex Skolnik? He rips too...

Archived