for $140 will the KAWS Chomper kill my enemies?? cause if not....

mental invalid

then thats the biggest marketing rip off ive seen in a while...

i love KAWS, DF, the whole thing....blah blah blah

but come on, you dont need a marketing degree to see this shit....

buyer behavior.....charge a lot of money to give it allure and then put a time table to create energy and buzz...just make sure you do it right at the begining of xmas buying season...

for a fucking plastic doll that in my opinion is some ole rehash...

sorry, thats just to much even for santa to fathom...

http://www.kawsone.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=PL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and let me clarify that i am for KAWS doing great shit and making money for it....the tshirts are cool and his book is fresh too...

so this isnt a crying sell out rant....its just straight product/marketing critique....

"i bought 10 a them shits."

im sure KAWS is happy that a sucker is born every minute....

Not to start a huge debate, but why's the Chomper criticized as being expensive and not art in general? Oils on canvases going for millions of dollars, assuming they even go on sale. How is that any different? Fact is, kids lucky enough to get some of the first toys Kaws released can now easily sell them for triple what they originally paid. I'm sure this item will be no different.

It's true that if you compare items out of context, you can portray this as the equivelent of a $3 plastic toy from toys-r-us, the same way you can take a painting lying around the local high school art class and say that essentially, it's not much different than DaVinci's Mona Lisa. However, when you put it in the context of being a limited edition toy released by an artist that regularly has shows around the world, you begin to realize it's a different ballgame.

There was a time when people dismissed Keith Harring's chalk drawings as juevenile doodles with no value. Go see how much one of those will set you back these days...

raven i think i clarified myself pretty well....

guy is a home town hero around my parts....legend...and as i mentioned, i loved alot of what he does...both on and off walls and steel...

and i dont think i put this outta of context at all....if anything i may have made a faulty assumption that people would know who kaws was and is....

nor did i ever go so far as to says its not art....ive got an open ended policy on that one.....

though i suppose i did call it a doll....sorry, just a schema thing...and perhaps rip off was a tad harsh...

noted....

art is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and i guess it just so happens that i behold an eye that doesnt see much value, cultural or otherwise, in such things. artists making 'social commentary' on the state of consummerism, by becoming just another cog in the machine, just doesnt sit real well with me most the time.

obey.

(nawmean).

i have no problem with people trying to get over, it just sort comes down to intention an integrity with me i guess. if you're thing is to make money, then handle that and make no apologies. if your thing is to make money while still trying to represent yourself as something more than just another person trying to buy a ferrari, well...i dont know...whatever i guess. and while my comments are obviously somewhat pointed towards my perception of kaws, i'll readily admit that i know little about him other than the interviews ive read. maybe dude is a real sweet guy that has some great message or something behind his work, who knows. i just know that i've never really gotten that impression. and never seen much more than a one dimmensional reflection of pop-culture eating itself.

then again, what do i know. i was born broke and i'll die broke. DIY. punk rock. black man, white man, rip the system! :rolleyes:

seeks/anyone can play guitar

This debate is probably older than all of us. Duchamp built his career off it. Regardless, doesnt change the fact that though you may think its expensive, that opinion wont change the fact that this same object will be sold on Ebay next week for 50% more, and sold next year for triple. That's without considering what will happen in 20 years when Kaw's stuff is hanging in galleries next to people like Keith Harring, which I dont doubt will happen.

There was a time when you could pick up those Barry McGee bottles for $100. Now you'd be lucky to find one for even $1200 despite the fact that it's a little more than a doodle upon a found object.

This is the key line right here:

Since Medicom Toy will only produce what is pre-ordered, all Be@rbricks will be insured during shipping and CANNOT be replaced if damaged.

speaking of Duchamp and McGee...anything Basquiat touched was practically ripped right off a wall, unbolted from its door frame or dug out of his trash and immediately resold for an insane amount of money.

i'm not at all haggling about the price. i mean, of course i think its kind of ridiculous, but also know that your right, it'll be worth way more, very soon. i actually went to the site and considered ordering one, just as an 'investment'. in the end, i probably will.

in the meantime i'll kick myself for not holding onto so much of the handmade shit thats passed through my hands, the last 5 or 6 years. i could make a killing. some of the test pressings for records, sketches, original lyrics, etc.

i need to start being more opportunistic and less lazy.

"This debate is probably older than all of us. Duchamp built his career off it. Regardless, doesnt change the fact that though you may think its expensive, that opinion wont change the fact that this same object will be sold on Ebay next week for 50% more, and sold next year for triple. That's without considering what will happen in 20 years when Kaw's stuff is hanging in galleries next to people like Keith Harring, which I dont doubt will happen."

what is the debate raven? like what is art and what is not?

and duchamp built his career outta what?

Over questioning what is considered 'Art'. He took everyday common objects and put them in different context (gallery) and declared them 'Art'. It was a commentary that forced people to re-evaluate what art was, as well as question who had the authority to decide what had artistic merit.

I'm sure some of you say his infamous toilet seat, or had to sit through an art history lecture on it.

okay, then we are on the same page.......

i figured thats what you meant....

and i think the argument is a good one......i battle myself.....im still not sure if there are boundaries in art, or is it boundless....what makes great art great.....doubt i ever will be sure.....

i do think kaws makes great art, but i dont think he is duchamp...

ever since i seen The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, i dont think there are many that even come close to him.....

but again, its eye of the beholder.....

does kaws really make 'art' or is he just making a 'product'?

is there ever a difference?

is making money an art?

since it's already going anyway, figured id throw the questions out.

and even though i dont feel like explaining my thoughts right now, i will say that comparing duchamp to kaws is like comparing the wright brothers to 'Wally's kites and other things that float Co.' yeah, they're both making objects intended to travel above the ground, but the circumstances and the social climate are completely different. duchamp proclaiming a urinal as art was unquestionably groundbreaking, and even if you didnt agree with it, it forever changed the scope of art as and society. people have been doing what kaws does, since the 60's. which isnt to take anything away from him, it's just the truth.

and just so i state it atleast once, i know im seeming pretty anti-kaws, but thats totally not the case. i know he and raven are friends, and that speaks volumes about him, and gives me reason enough to respect him as a person. anything that i say is pretty much just my thoughts on 'art' in general, as focused (momuntarily) through this particular subject matter.

seeks/pisschrist

i like duchamp in theory, and dont care that much in practice. atleast not from what ive seen. i love the idea of the urinal (R. mutt, wasnt it?) and the fact that he questioned what art was, i just cant say that i was too wowed with the actual pieces themselves. which i guess is expected, since they were intellectual endeavers, not exactly textile ones.

i dont know enough about dadaism to say i have an oppinion (i know, shocking, isnt it?!) i know they were all about absurdity or something, which im a fan of. but again, like everything, it comes down to intention and integrity. if i feel you're honest, and truly believe in what you're doing, i'll respect anything you do, no matter how flawed or ignorant it might be. because i mean, there is so much art, modern art especially, that could be done by a dead monkey dipped in roofing-tar. scribbles and empty space can be incredible, and infact tend to be some of my favorite stuff, but i never lose site of the fact that a cat with a paintbrush duct taped to its tail, could accomplish the same thing.

im not sure if that answers your question at all, but i got to make two animal = art references, so thats good.

one of these days im gonna get to the bottom of this dada shit.

"does kaws really make 'art' or is he just making a 'product'? "

i think this one of the fun aspects of his art....its forces you into that quagmire of the question...

although he is not the first to push that, im thinking warhol, it still is a fun idea to toss around on an internet forum.....