Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

for $140 will the KAWS Chomper kill my enemies?? cause if not....

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mental invalid, Oct 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

then thats the biggest marketing rip off ive seen in a while...

i love KAWS, DF, the whole thing....blah blah blah

but come on, you dont need a marketing degree to see this shit....

buyer behavior.....charge a lot of money to give it allure and then put a time table to create energy and buzz...just make sure you do it right at the begining of xmas buying season...

for a fucking plastic doll that in my opinion is some ole rehash...

sorry, thats just to much even for santa to fathom...

http://www.kawsone.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=PL

2. type R

type R Senior Member

good for kaws, but that price is rediculous.

3. Telo

Telo Elite Member

whats the point of buying it if it doesnt do anything cool like have lasers n'stuff?

4. acke

acke New Jack

i bought 10 a them shits.

5. mental invalid

and let me clarify that i am for KAWS doing great shit and making money for it....the tshirts are cool and his book is fresh too...

so this isnt a crying sell out rant....its just straight product/marketing critique....

"i bought 10 a them shits."

im sure KAWS is happy that a sucker is born every minute....

6. caL

caL Senior Member

im just gonna print the picture of it and put it on my wall.

7. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

it's 9:30 in the am and i can't sleep

what's a kaws ?

8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

well we all know you the doll is going to kill first..... eh mental?

http://website.lineone.net/~quite.bizarre/pics/pics018.jpg'>

"oh here's your problem... someone set this doll to [i]evil[/i]"

9. mental invalid

thats great....kilo with the clip shot....

to be honest zesto...the list is to long, anyone in particular that you were thinking of??

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

the doll is certainly coming after some guy who made a thread about it being too expensive.... :eek:

11. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

Not to start a huge debate, but why's the Chomper criticized as being expensive and not art in general? Oils on canvases going for millions of dollars, assuming they even go on sale. How is that any different? Fact is, kids lucky enough to get some of the first toys Kaws released can now easily sell them for triple what they originally paid. I'm sure this item will be no different.

It's true that if you compare items out of context, you can portray this as the equivelent of a $3 plastic toy from toys-r-us, the same way you can take a painting lying around the local high school art class and say that essentially, it's not much different than DaVinci's Mona Lisa. However, when you put it in the context of being a limited edition toy released by an artist that regularly has shows around the world, you begin to realize it's a different ballgame.

There was a time when people dismissed Keith Harring's chalk drawings as juevenile doodles with no value. Go see how much one of those will set you back these days...

12. mental invalid

Look kids that little over expensive over hyped trended out plastic, um thing, is attacking that poor defenseless man...oh he just broke his glasses...

13. mental invalid

raven i think i clarified myself pretty well....

guy is a home town hero around my parts....legend...and as i mentioned, i loved alot of what he does...both on and off walls and steel...

and i dont think i put this outta of context at all....if anything i may have made a faulty assumption that people would know who kaws was and is....

nor did i ever go so far as to says its not art....ive got an open ended policy on that one.....

though i suppose i did call it a doll....sorry, just a schema thing...and perhaps rip off was a tad harsh...

noted....

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

art is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and i guess it just so happens that i behold an eye that doesnt see much value, cultural or otherwise, in such things. artists making 'social commentary' on the state of consummerism, by becoming just another cog in the machine, just doesnt sit real well with me most the time.
    obey.
    (nawmean).
    i have no problem with people trying to get over, it just sort comes down to intention an integrity with me i guess. if you're thing is to make money, then handle that and make no apologies. if your thing is to make money while still trying to represent yourself as something more than just another person trying to buy a ferrari, well...i dont know...whatever i guess. and while my comments are obviously somewhat pointed towards my perception of kaws, i'll readily admit that i know little about him other than the interviews ive read. maybe dude is a real sweet guy that has some great message or something behind his work, who knows. i just know that i've never really gotten that impression. and never seen much more than a one dimmensional reflection of pop-culture eating itself.
    then again, what do i know. i was born broke and i'll die broke. DIY. punk rock. black man, white man, rip the system! :rolleyes:

seeks/anyone can play guitar

15. misteraven

misteraven Administrator

This debate is probably older than all of us. Duchamp built his career off it. Regardless, doesnt change the fact that though you may think its expensive, that opinion wont change the fact that this same object will be sold on Ebay next week for 50% more, and sold next year for triple. That's without considering what will happen in 20 years when Kaw's stuff is hanging in galleries next to people like Keith Harring, which I dont doubt will happen.

There was a time when you could pick up those Barry McGee bottles for $100. Now you'd be lucky to find one for even $1200 despite the fact that it's a little more than a doodle upon a found object.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.