Florida Legislature Forces University To Idolize Jeb Bush

lord_casek

Two weeks ago, the University of Florida voted to deny Jeb Bush an honorary degree. By a 38-28 vote, the faculty Senate rejected the former governor’s nomination, citing concerns about some of Bush’s education initiatives, including his dismantling of affirmative action programs in the state:

In higher education circles, Bush’s greatest criticism came over his “One Florida” plan, which ended race-based admissions in state universities.
Black enrollment dropped at UF and statewide after the change took effect, as critics predicted

Bush’s policies of “rewarding and punishing schools according to students’ standardized test results and using vouchers to send certain students to private schools at public expense” also contributed to the rejection of his nomination.

Upset by this lack of Jeb Bush adoration, the conservative-controlled House Schools & Learning Council voted yesterday to force the university to rename its education school the “Jeb Bush College of Education.”

Over the faculty’s opposition, the school will now have “to erect ‘suitable markers‘ noting the college’s new name and include the revised name in all university documents, including catalogues and brochures.” The lawmakers acknowledge they “came up with the idea as an answer” to the faculty’s denial of Bush’s honorary degree.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just a few weeks after the University of Florida's faculty Senate voted against awarding Jeb Bush an honorary degree, a Republican-controlled House council decided this morning to make the university name its entire college of education after the former governor.

The University of Florida's education school would be renamed the "Jeb Bush College of Education," under an amendment approved this morning by the House Schools & Learning Council. What's more, UF would also have to erect "suitable markers" noting the college's new name and include the revised name in all university documents, including catalogues and brochures.

The provision, which was inserted into a broader bill (HB 621) renaming buildings at various state universities, was offered by Rep. David Rivera, R-Miami. Rivera's a top lieutenant to House Speaker Marco Rubio, who has long admired Bush and regularly seeks counsel from the former governor.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2007/04/the_jeb_bush_co.html

Casek comes through with a Gang of links, Son. You want links? , Casek got links Fermentor..... What now potna?

Ha, ha...I'm feelin' all stupid tonight , like ya'll are my homeskillet brohams from around the block.

Casek comes through with a Gang of links, Son. You want links? , Casek got links Fermentor..... What now potna?

Ha, ha...I'm feelin' all stupid tonight , like ya'll are my homeskillet brohams from around the block.

dude, i feel the same way about people here.

we argue and shit, but i'd love to drink a beer

with all of these fools.

as for the links: you can just go to google news and type in "jeb bush"

and a ton of articles about the Florida University name change fiasco

pop up.

you guys gotta stop doubting what i tell you about. not all of it is in the realm

of "conspiracy", some of it is right out in the open. good ol' boy poliitickin' or not, it's still out in the open.