Fla. Deputy Pepper Sprays 12-Year-Old Jaywalker

OMARNYCAKASW1

http://www.local6.com/orlpn/news/stories/n...503-020519.html

UMMM,,,NAH'MEEN?

Fla. Deputy Pepper Sprays 12-Year-Old Jaywalker

Posted: 3:15 a.m. EDT May 3, 2003

Updated: 3:20 a.m. EDT May 3, 2003

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A deputy used pepper spray on a 12-year-old girl and wrestled her to the ground when she ignored repeated orders to stop jaywalking, the sheriff's office said Friday.

Broward County sheriff's deputy Michael Roberto was issuing jaywalking tickets to students crossing a busy highway Thursday when he asked the girl to stand next to his motorcycle so he could give her a citation, the deputy's report said.

But the girl, who was not immediately identified, became upset and began to curse, Roberto said in the report. The girl also walked away and ignored four more orders to stop and put her hands behind her back, he said.

The girl, who is 5 feet 1 inch and 134 pounds, threatened to hit Roberto and rolled her hand in a fist, the report said. The deputy repeatedly warned her that he would use pepper spray if she didn't listen.

"After the last warning and order, it became apparent that I had to choose between a physical fight and using the pepper spray," Roberto wrote. "I sprayed her in the face."

The girl then knocked the spray can out of Roberto's hand, so the deputy wrestled the girl to the ground and handcuffed her, the report said. The girl, who was not injured, was charged with failure to use a crosswalk and resisting arrest without violence, both misdemeanors. She was released to her mother.

The girl likely won't face any jail time on the charges, sheriff's spokesman Jim Leljedahl said.

Leljedahl said there is no age policy for the use of pepper spray. The police report and witness accounts suggest Roberto acted within the sheriff's office's rules, Leljedahl said.

"Pepper spray is an appropriate response when we meet with defensive resistance," Leljedahl said Friday. "In this case, she was belligerent and aggressive, even."

The sheriff's office was reviewing the arrest, though most pepper spray incidents are not investigated, Leljedahl said. A formal investigation would be launched if the girl's family files a complaint, he said.

Deputies seeking to stop accidents along busy Federal Highway have been ticketing Olsen Middle School students for the past several weeks.

Roberto, a 22-year veteran of the force, was at work Friday, Leljedahl said.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's really fucked up. Regardless of whatever the girl did to provoke him, he was a grown man, she was a 12 year old girl.

Pretty sad/disturbing/repulsive/ when an officer can't handle himself with children. Good thing it wasn't a 14 year old male, he might have had to shoot him, then.

Re: Re: Fla. Deputy Pepper Sprays 12-Year-Old Jaywalker

Originally posted by mr_president

a 22 yr old veteran of the force? did he start when he was 10?

i originally slapped my hand on my forehead when i read that but i see what you are sayin mr tease. hahaha

Originally posted by some pittsburgh flavor

good thing it wasn't an 11 year old black male. the officer would obviously have had to physically subdue the 'aggressor' and shoot him when the sunglasses he was carrying suddenly looked like a .45

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by swif1

at least florida is on the map now. :rolleyes:

Have you forgotten about the election back in 2000? Or maybe the refugees we hear about on the news all the time? Or maybe the fact that this really popular video game called "Vice City" is based in Florida?

Everyone knows about America's penis.

hahahahahahhaa

The girl, who is 5 feet 1 inch and 134 pounds, threatened to hit Roberto and rolled her hand in a fist, the report said. The deputy repeatedly warned her that he would use pepper spray if she didn't listen.

fuckin hectic. thats when i woulda decided to pepperspray the little bitch too. fuckin florida sluts thinkin they run the world or some shit. haha.

Originally posted by KaBar

Do you suppose she'll ever threaten to hit a cop again? Doubt it.

he should have shot her! bang bang! guns solve everything! buy fifty guns! hit 12 year olds! feel tough!

USA USA USA!

OH AND FUCK FRANCE AND ANY ONE WHO OPPOSES USA!

Ever been Pepper Sprayed?

I never have, but I got tear-gassed twice back in the '60s and had to go through the Gas Chamber during Marine Corps Boot Camp.

Tell you what, the man tells me to "Stop, and put your hands on the hood of the car!" I do exactly as he says. A jaywalking ticket is no big deal, but that fucking tear gas hurt like a motherfucker. No thanks.

Where do the kids in Florida get their how-to-survive-on-the-street education anyway? That girl's mamma must left out the lesson about not cussing out the po-leece. My opinion: Do not provoke big ass guys carrying guns and pepper spray. It don't pay the rent.

i live close to where this happened and saw it on my local news. kinda surprised its became a big story.

anyway, the cop did the right thing.

the article kinda puts a spin on it making the cop look overbearing and too quick to use 'force'.

the girl goes to a high school which is right near a busy highway (I think A1A?). Anyway in the past there were kids who had been hit/nearly hit by cars because they get out of school and run across the street. That is why they had a strict jaywalking policy, and kept an eye on the kids crossing the street. They had a witness on the news segment. She said the cop told her not to cross the road, she immediately became hostile, told him to fuck off, etc. Then she started waving her fists, etc. She was getting in his face and cussing and to cease confrontation he sprayed her. What the fuck is wrong with that? Some of you are too quick to point at the cop for misconduct. He did the right thing. What should he have done? Just stood there? Its ok to just not follow a cops lawful orders and to cuss him out, resist arrest, and wave your fists at him?

He chose the least violent way to handle it, since words didnt work with this girl. Has America really become so pussified that using pepper spray on a juvenile who is resisting arrest is now considered to be police brutality? Give me a fucking break. Tell me what he should have done, really put yourself in his situation and tell me what should have happened.

yeah KaBaR,

I got the CS Gas (AKA Tear Gas) chamber in Army boot camp. Shit sucked. I still remember the vomit, left there by people who had gone before me, sticking to my boots. Doesnt the Corps have DI's protect the doors so nobody can get out even if you mess up with your mask?

In the Army, at Ft. Knox anyway, we had a backdoor for people who didnt do the mask right, they could run out that way, of course they had to do it again until it was done right. And they made us breath it, nothing worse than being almost out when a DS with his mask on tells you to take yours off. Then you have to say a few words and take 3 deep breaths so they know you breathe it. Damn it hurts. I remember running out of their coughing my lungs out and had at least a handful of snot all over me. All the DS's in my company were waiting to laugh when we came running out in pain.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

did you get kicked out?

from the Army or 12oz?

from the Army, no. I wanted out. I developed a sleeping habit where Id sit up in my bed while i was sleeping. a little like sleepwalking i guess.

i wanted to see a psych because i was worried about what it was, plus i thought it might get me out. when that didnt work i 'refused to train' which means i sat under a tree instead of going to formation. theyd get in my face and yell at me, etc but id ignore them the best i could. after a few days with that they thought i had gone insane and sent me to the psych where i was able to tell him more about my sleep disorder, how i hated everyone in my platoon, etc and he gave me a medical discharge.

if you meant 12oz, i was banned. it was awhile ago and i dont really remember why, but lately with the war and everything i wanted to see what the opinions were, but i didnt post. now i decided to post again.

Re: Ever been Pepper Sprayed?

Originally posted by KaBar

That girl's mamma must left out the lesson about not cussing out the po-leece. .

Note: subtle hints of racism don't help to get your point across.

I think the clear point you're missing is: she's 12. You can't hold her to the same standard that you hold yourself.

you guys are focusing too much on the girls age instead of her actions.

do you not understand the girl RESISTED ARREST , she told the cop to fuck off, then tried to act like a badass in front of her friends by acting aggressive towards the cop. He had no other fucking choice. The main point everyone is trying to forget is that she wanted to run across a road where there is a high risk of getting hit by a car. When the cop tried to stop her she told him to fuck himself and acted like she was gonna fight him, he didnt want to be violent so he told her to go to his police car or she'd be arrested. At this point she becomes more hostile and aggressive - the cop realizes words will not work with this girl but yet he doesnt want to get violent - thats why he needed pepper spray. If he was really a bad cop he'd have threatened his gun or used a nightstick or some shit, but he didnt. He used harmless pepper spray. BTW, Tear Gas does hurt but anyone thats been through it will tell you after youre sprayed, youre completely back to normal again within a few minutes, so it actually isnt all that bad.

damn some 12 year old girl weighs more than me?

theres obviously alot wrong with the whole situation, sure she was doing something wrong and being lippy and shit.. but for real dude. 12. If dude's little girl got pepper sprayed you'd better believe he'd be killin somebody.

fuck em.

Archived