First lawsuit against filesharing.

Sarah Tonin

12-year-old settles music swap lawsuit

Tuesday, September 9, 2003 Posted: 10:04 PM EDT (0204 GMT)

Brianna LaHara sits at the computer she uses to download music after learning that she is being sued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED

• Who's targeted by music swapping suits?

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

She's the first of 261 defendants to settle their lawsuits with the association.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000, or about $2 per song she allegedly shared.

"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.

The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

"We're trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file-sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive officer. "And as this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

Monday, RIAA filed lawsuits against 261 individual Internet music file-sharers and announced an amnesty program for most people who admit they illegally shared music files through the Internet. The amnesty would only offer protection for songs represented by the RIAA and not from publishers, musicians or others with rights to songs.

Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA, said the civil lawsuits were filed against "major offenders" who made available an average of 1,000 copyright song files.

Record companies blame illegal music file-trading for a 31-percent fall in compact disc sales since mid-2000.

Sherman also announced the Clean Slate Program that grants amnesty to users who voluntarily identify themselves, erase downloaded music files and promise not to share music on the Internet. The RIAA said it will not sue users who sign and have notarized a Clean Slate Program affidavit.

The offer of amnesty will not apply to about 1,600 people targeted by copyright subpoenas from the RIAA. The decision was made a few weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings mandated that Internet providers turn over the names of subscribers believed to be sharing music and movies illegally.

Until now, the only music file-swapping lawsuits filed by the RIAA were against four college students accused of making thousands of songs available on campus networks. Those cases were settled for $12,500 to $17,000 each.

Sherman said Monday that the RIAA had negotiated settlements in the range of $3,000 with a "handful" of Internet users who had learned from their Internet service providers that they were being targeted for lawsuits. The industry is also pursuing subpoenas at universities around the country seeking to identify music file traders.

it could be you next.:lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when you set up a file sharing program you designate a folder to share out with others. normally this is the folder that you also download to. just limit the number of files you share out and your chances of being hemmed up are lessened. at least i think so.

can anyone confirm??

a few weeks ago someone on this site was talking about some sort of program available for download that would prevent the RIAA from being able to see the files you've downloaded.anybody know what im talking about?

and yes that is fucked up that they targeted a twelve year old girl who probably didnt understand the fact that she was stealing music.i mean shit its like howard stern said when you go to a record store and buy a cd, even the people at the counter are laughing at your ass.i dont know anybody who buys cd's anymore.i feel bad for the artists but hey they still make more than doctors and their not saving fucking lives here.

Originally posted by NOBODY

a few weeks ago someone on this site was talking about some sort of program available for download that would prevent the RIAA from being able to see the files you've downloaded.anybody know what im talking about?

and yes that is fucked up that they targeted a twelve year old girl who probably didnt understand the fact that she was stealing music.i mean shit its like howard stern said when you go to a record store and buy a cd, even the people at the counter are laughing at your ass.i dont know anybody who buys cd's anymore.i feel bad for the artists but hey they still make more than doctors and their not saving fucking lives here.

i totally agree, yet i feel compelled to support bands i truely like, especially the ones that are slept on, they deserve the support. not the music industry inflated "must haves"

owning only pirated music videos dvd etc sucks. i can see downloading an album from a genre that you normally wouldnt buy anyways but to be into say hip hop and not actually put any money back into it is called biting the hand that feeds you. if groups in the future cease to make money then there is no reason for them to continue making music or films. the best example of this is the hk film industry. seen any good films out of there lately? no because the industry went bankrupt. all films were on vcd`s on the corner for a dollar and the real ones were 5.

Originally posted by serum

i can see downloading an album from a genre that you normally wouldnt buy anyways but to be into say hip hop and not actually put any money back into it is called biting the hand that feeds you.

(im using rap as an example here)

biting the hand that feeds me. what does it feed me a whole lotta bullshit about bling bling and ice? rolling on dubs in a bentley? basically a load of shit. the only reason they need this money is to support there uncontrolled buying of retarded things like the above mentioned.

what i say is fuck the industry and fuck the artists. keep stealing music untill the assholes like the riaa realize that 16 or 18 fuckin dollars for a cd is a scam. i mean the only reason this is an issue is because file sharing is competiton and the industry is losing.

now im prolly gonna get targeted by them cocks. fuck em'.

not all hip hop is bling bling. i dont think this is a question of industry vs artists and who is getting your money. true, hip hop in general should learn a little from punk rock in terms of diy. starting from record labels, zines, and indie distribution. but fuck the artists? lets just all stop listening to music all together then. sorry but if i was a recognized graphic artist and people just blantantly stole my images i shouldn`t be pissed. pay a fee and move on.

Originally posted by serum

not all hip hop is bling bling. i dont think this is a question of industry vs artists and who is getting your money. true, hip hop in general should learn a little from punk rock in terms of diy. starting from record labels, zines, and indie distribution. but fuck the artists? lets just all stop listening to music all together then. sorry but if i was a recognized graphic artist and people just blantantly stole my images i shouldn`t be pissed. pay a fee and move on.

your right man if someone claimed what you rightfully did on your own and created but said they did it, that is blatantly stealing. thats different "stealing" then file sharing though.

what i mean by fuck the artists is that we need to stop feeding their greed and the greed of the their labels, lawyers, cd distributors, and all others tryin to get in on the action. they do not need to be making billions of dollars of record sales. that is bull shit. if they make billions of dollars of touring then hell yea they fuckin earned it.

but like u said they need to learn from the diy scene. 6 dollar cds 3 dollar records. theres no greedy ass people tryin to steal from the artists hard work. so i buy them cds or records i pay and goto their shows even if i dont like all the bands. we just need to eliminate the middle man and file sharing does a good job of it. maybe the cut in sales will make the artists realize shit i aint makin no money cuz my cd cost almost 20 dollars.

sorry for the long post.

no im not i lied. it aint that long read a little you lazy shits

Guest ModelCitizen

It seems like it goes both ways. Average people are kind of in the wrong for taking something without paying for it, and the recording industry is in the wrong for all those years of ripping off consumers.

The real victims, beyond the celebrity rock-star types or the corporate assholes, are the independent musicians who can't sell enough to stay afloat, which creates another catch 22: Modern kids like a lot of independent music, which won't last unless the albums are actually bought; but local record stores aren't carrying as much of the independent stuff that kids are downloading because those kids aren't buying what they can get for free. Lose/Lose scenario.

Either way, I think internet file-sharing is either doomed by the hand of the corporate music industry, or it's just a new form of acquiring entertainment that hasn't been completely figured out yet.

Originally posted by iced_tea

what i mean by fuck the artists is that we need to stop feeding their greed and the greed of the their labels, lawyers, cd distributors, and all others tryin to get in on the action. they do not need to be making billions of dollars of record sales. that is bull shit. if they make billions of dollars of touring then hell yea they fuckin earned it.

You kids have NO IDEA how the music industry works. The 'record company' pays for NOTHING except the opportunity to exploit the artist. It's the way it's always worked, BUT, at least they write checks. Artists pay for EVERYTHING, studio costs, reproduction costs (burning a million cd's), advertising costs, touring costs... and THEN they split what's left. In the end, even the most successful members of the most successful bands are only making 55 cents on every dollar (to then split amongst themselves), and that's assuming that every record, every tour, every promotion is successful.

ANYONE who has made 'billions' has spent millions getting there. Millions of THEIR money, not the record company's. A record company is basically a distribution company with a built in bank. They specialize in 'small business loans'... if your 'small business' fails, they foreclose. You can be jealous of all the Britney Spears and Bruce Springstiens but that shit is a tightly run as Wal-mart. The idea that some DIY band that you 'support' is gonna be able to make this happen on their own is a dream... that's why they call it 'the dream'.

If you steal music you are stealing art. Have a little pride in yourself, don't act like a punk. Certainly don't offer up lame and defiant excuses about why you 're acting like a punk.

*and I don't mean punk rocker, I mean JAIL HOUSE BITCH

Archived