Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

First lawsuit against filesharing.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Sarah Tonin, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Sarah Tonin

Sarah Tonin Dirty Dozen Crew

12-year-old settles music swap lawsuit
    Tuesday, September 9, 2003 Posted: 10:04 PM EDT (0204 GMT)

Brianna LaHara sits at the computer she uses to download music after learning that she is being sued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED
    • Who's targeted by music swapping suits?

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A day after being sued for illegally sharing music files through the Internet, a 12-year-old girl has settled with the Recording Industry Association of America.

She's the first of 261 defendants to settle their lawsuits with the association.

Brianna LaHara agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000, or about $2 per song she allegedly shared.

"I am sorry for what I have done," LaHara said. "I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The suit claimed LaHara had been offering more than 1,000 songs on the Internet, using the Kazaa file-sharing service.

The RIAA said it was pleased with the settlement. There are 260 cases still pending.

"We're trying to send a strong message that you are not anonymous when you participate in peer-to-peer file-sharing and that the illegal distribution of copyrighted music has consequences," said Mitch Bainwol, RIAA chairman and chief executive officer. "And as this case illustrates, parents need to be aware of what their children are doing on their computers."

Monday, RIAA filed lawsuits against 261 individual Internet music file-sharers and announced an amnesty program for most people who admit they illegally shared music files through the Internet. The amnesty would only offer protection for songs represented by the RIAA and not from publishers, musicians or others with rights to songs.

Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA, said the civil lawsuits were filed against "major offenders" who made available an average of 1,000 copyright song files.

Record companies blame illegal music file-trading for a 31-percent fall in compact disc sales since mid-2000.

Sherman also announced the Clean Slate Program that grants amnesty to users who voluntarily identify themselves, erase downloaded music files and promise not to share music on the Internet. The RIAA said it will not sue users who sign and have notarized a Clean Slate Program affidavit.

The offer of amnesty will not apply to about 1,600 people targeted by copyright subpoenas from the RIAA. The decision was made a few weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings mandated that Internet providers turn over the names of subscribers believed to be sharing music and movies illegally.

Until now, the only music file-swapping lawsuits filed by the RIAA were against four college students accused of making thousands of songs available on campus networks. Those cases were settled for $12,500 to $17,000 each.

Sherman said Monday that the RIAA had negotiated settlements in the range of $3,000 with a "handful" of Internet users who had learned from their Internet service providers that they were being targeted for lawsuits. The industry is also pursuing subpoenas at universities around the country seeking to identify music file traders.

it could be you next.:lol:

2. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

wow...how could they not be pleased with that. They just kicked a twelve year old girls ass. very impressive. I hope the fuck that decided to sue a twelve year old chokes and dies on their brie. fucktards.

3. caL

caL Senior Member

wonder how they know u share :eek:

4. crave

crave Veteran Member

when you set up a file sharing program you designate a folder to share out with others. normally this is the folder that you also download to. just limit the number of files you share out and your chances of being hemmed up are lessened. at least i think so.

can anyone confirm??

5. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

i enabled only people on my buddy list to view/download my files.

6. BigOatser

BigOatser Senior Member

I WILL NEVER STOP!

didnt your mommy ever tell you sharing is caring?

7. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

i just got about 540 tracks in 3 days, i am rebuilding the collection i had before my computer crashed.

FUCK the RIAA!!

8. NOBODY

NOBODY Member

a few weeks ago someone on this site was talking about some sort of program available for download that would prevent the RIAA from being able to see the files you've downloaded.anybody know what im talking about?

and yes that is fucked up that they targeted a twelve year old girl who probably didnt understand the fact that she was stealing music.i mean shit its like howard stern said when you go to a record store and buy a cd, even the people at the counter are laughing at your ass.i dont know anybody who buys cd's anymore.i feel bad for the artists but hey they still make more than doctors and their not saving fucking lives here.

9. sludgenuts

sludgenuts Member

yes, there is a program that blocks unwanted ips from your computer. im not sure of the programs name or what all it does. but i do know there is such a program. but im sure like everything there either is or will be a way around it...

10. S@T@N

[email protected]@N Senior Member

Use Kazaa Lite. Or SLSK. Or any of those other programs that aren't
    infested with RIAA spyware.

11. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

i totally agree, yet i feel compelled to support bands i truely like, especially the ones that are slept on, they deserve the support. not the music industry inflated "must haves"

12. serum

serum Elite Member

owning only pirated music videos dvd etc sucks. i can see downloading an album from a genre that you normally wouldnt buy anyways but to be into say hip hop and not actually put any money back into it is called biting the hand that feeds you. if groups in the future cease to make money then there is no reason for them to continue making music or films. the best example of this is the hk film industry. seen any good films out of there lately? no because the industry went bankrupt. all films were on vcd`s on the corner for a dollar and the real ones were 5.

13. Sickboy

Sickboy Member

I have it on not share. I jsut download the music that's it. So can they sue me.

14. Sarah Tonin

Sarah Tonin Dirty Dozen Crew

15. iced_tea

iced_tea Member

(im using rap as an example here)
    biting the hand that feeds me. what does it feed me a whole lotta bullshit about bling bling and ice? rolling on dubs in a bentley? basically a load of shit. the only reason they need this money is to support there uncontrolled buying of retarded things like the above mentioned.

what i say is fuck the industry and fuck the artists. keep stealing music untill the assholes like the riaa realize that 16 or 18 fuckin dollars for a cd is a scam. i mean the only reason this is an issue is because file sharing is competiton and the industry is losing.

now im prolly gonna get targeted by them cocks. fuck em'.