Financial/Professional Advice Re: FILM WORK

Jackson

I am currently working (very hard) on a low budget film (£55k) and it is absolutely great.

I am working for no money which is fine by me because it is all part of the learning process and experience gaining side of shit in the film insdustry which is what I want to do.

But! I was speaking to my neighbour today and he told me to give in a piece in writing outlining that I don't mind working for nothing, but if the film was a huge success (unlikely but what we all hope will happen) and it makes billions, that I want to stake a claim for a percentage of the profit.

My question to you, 12ozers in the wonk, is this a good idea? if so, how much should I ask for?

Thanks guys any ideas much appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That might work but it might have to involve the rest of the crew. Maybe it can be negotiated to start receiving cuts after the film breaks even. A lot of people in the industry break in by working for free it's called paying your dues. I know of a case where this guy did about 8 months of hard work before he started getting anything. having this on your resume is a plus and should get you paid work in the future-

you get nothing!!!

the only people who get points after a film is done

are people who've invested money or gear. Or possibly, dept heads.

The best thing for you to do is just work and hope for more work.

Ifthe film blows up and makes millions, then the producers who hired you will hire you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a Hooker

You should have settled this shit up front. It's too late now to go back and re-negotiate the deal. Grit your teeth, work hard, make as many friends as possible, and EAT YOUR FILL at the buffet line every day, because that's probably all you're going to get in terms of pay.

"Paying your dues" is all fine and good, as long as the people you are working with hold up their end of the deal. MAKE SURE you get full mention in a slow credit roll at the end of the film. Keep in mind, since all you will ever see from this film, really, is the reputation for doing a good job, MAKE AN EXCELLENT, ALL OUT EFFORT to do a good job. Your work will be recorded in the film "forever" so hopefully, you'll be able to use it as a resume' example.

Next time, get the money (points, etc.) UP FRONT.

Archived