1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Financial/Professional Advice Re: FILM WORK

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Jackson, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Jackson

Jackson 12oz Veteran Member

Financial/Professional Advice Re: FILM WORK

Discussion started by Jackson - Aug 14, 2004

I am currently working (very hard) on a low budget film (£55k) and it is absolutely great.
    I am working for no money which is fine by me because it is all part of the learning process and experience gaining side of shit in the film insdustry which is what I want to do.
    But! I was speaking to my neighbour today and he told me to give in a piece in writing outlining that I don't mind working for nothing, but if the film was a huge success (unlikely but what we all hope will happen) and it makes billions, that I want to stake a claim for a percentage of the profit.
    My question to you, 12ozers in the wonk, is this a good idea? if so, how much should I ask for?

Thanks guys any ideas much appreciated.

Jackson - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. Flayed God X

Flayed God X 12oz Member

Flayed God X - Replied Aug 14, 2004

That might work but it might have to involve the rest of the crew. Maybe it can be negotiated to start receiving cuts after the film breaks even. A lot of people in the industry break in by working for free it's called paying your dues. I know of a case where this guy did about 8 months of hard work before he started getting anything. having this on your resume is a plus and should get you paid work in the future-

Flayed God X - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. Jackson

Jackson 12oz Veteran Member

Jackson - Replied Aug 15, 2004

I am an assistant with the art dept, mainly painting and set decorating, but some of the time I am just generally being an all-round useful guy.

Jackson - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 12oz Member

Fabo 2 - Replied Aug 15, 2004

don't ask for money, don't fuck up a good situation. That is, if you're happy to be there without getting paid.

NORTH WEST. since day

Fabo 2 - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. Flayed God X

Flayed God X 12oz Member

Flayed God X - Replied Aug 15, 2004

if the film does good and you had a role to play in it, most likely your gonna start getting calls for more work. Keep a good relationship with your crew, networking is very crucial

Flayed God X - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

Kr430n5_666 - Replied Aug 16, 2004

youve got an awful disease

Kr430n5_666 - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  7. <KEY3>

<KEY3> 12oz Veteran Member

<KEY3> - Replied Aug 17, 2004

you get nothing!!!

the only people who get points after a film is done
    are people who've invested money or gear. Or possibly, dept heads.
    The best thing for you to do is just work and hope for more work.
    Ifthe film blows up and makes millions, then the producers who hired you will hire you again.

<KEY3> - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  8. KaBar2

KaBar2 12oz Senior Member

KaBar2 - Replied Aug 27, 2004

Like a Hooker

You should have settled this shit up front. It's too late now to go back and re-negotiate the deal. Grit your teeth, work hard, make as many friends as possible, and EAT YOUR FILL at the buffet line every day, because that's probably all you're going to get in terms of pay.

"Paying your dues" is all fine and good, as long as the people you are working with hold up their end of the deal. MAKE SURE you get full mention in a slow credit roll at the end of the film. Keep in mind, since all you will ever see from this film, really, is the reputation for doing a good job, MAKE AN EXCELLENT, ALL OUT EFFORT to do a good job. Your work will be recorded in the film "forever" so hopefully, you'll be able to use it as a resume' example.

Next time, get the money (points, etc.) UP FRONT.

KaBar2 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

iloveboxcars - Replied Aug 27, 2004

any more info on the movie?

iloveboxcars - Rank: 12oz Royalty - Messages: