FINAL SCRATCH? pros/cons

heavyLox

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

its pretty cool man. at first i was bein stupid bout it like fuck cds/mp3s, vinyl only blahbalhbal. but really tho its tight cause you get opportunities to play shit that you don't have/will never find/or never made print to vinyl. and you can scratch with no latency, blipsblops or none of that. on top of that an idiot can run it and its pretty flawless once you get used to it. recommend.

I love it.

here are some cons that i have personally run into:

-speed. i find it takes me longer to find the tune i want than flipping through my record crate so sometimes i miss my cue which sucks. i mix really quickly & for a long time so its a pain sometimes.

-no 3rd turntable support. FS will OWN once it has this.. IF its ever gonna have this. when i have 3 deck gigs I have to carefully plan my set so i can bring the vynil i need which sucks becuase records wiegh to much and i got FS to get rid of that problem.

-mp3's that are 128kps or under sound like serious ASSHOLES on a huge system. boo! so most of that shit you get of P2P programs or whatever dont help too much. but i didnt get FS to play some crappy mp3s i got it so i could.......

pro's

- ......i can play all my own beats :) playing your own tunes- mixing em like vinyl is awsome. still gives me shivers! dub plates cost way to much.

i love FS. but i find that crowds arnt really impressed by it. they get a little less luster in them.

pro's: dont have to buy shit ever again

don't have to worry about record burn on your more precious records

cons: price

need an alright computer that can keep processing.

maybe a learning curve, but you have to look at the sound waves instead of the record (might be good once you get used to it)

i've been waiting for them to get the bugs out and for the price to come down, and for me to get a better computer.

Originally posted by Vanity

pro's: dont have to buy shit ever again

thats just what im saying tho-

you still gotta buy stuff. your not gonna find the new Rasoul or 20/20 vision release on Kazaa or some crazy shit. your gonna have to wait intill someone manages to put a copy online- and then you gotta hope it isnt chopped out of someones mix CD where it the "track" starts 1/4 of the way in and then when you hit the 3/4 mark another track comes in underneath! And like I said anything that is 128kbs or under is gonna sound little total shit on any system pumpin' over 400watts.

and when you get down to it you got a record industry thats in trouble. those little labels are barely making ends meat. prime distribution went down just a little while ago which is no biggie to me because i hate that pounding hard techno. the internet may not be the ones that are putting these guys out of buisness but it aint helpin'..

:yuck:

proper way i see to use FS is to keep your shit in .wav form. keeps the quality clean.

another pro:

FUCK you can get creative. Ive been takin' loops out of tracks that suck but have that one single good part and loopin it over some other beats. again they need a 3rd deck support..

3rd? i would prefer 4 deck support, not that i am a god of the deck but i love to fuck around like that.

as far as it goes:

PROS : play shit you cant find anywhere, play your own stuff the same night you make it.

oh yeah...

"pro's : dont have to buy shit ever again

don't have to worry about record burn on your more precious records "

this is NOT GOOD. if your like me and fuck with mostly independent releases, those artists are just like you and me, and need the support, beforre you build you're set off of kazza go digging. that is half the fun anyways. i like final scratch as long as it dosn't kill the record store biz. because in many urban underground music scenes, the record store is the center peice around which everything revolves.

Originally posted by Nekro

Don't worry about the record stores dying. Just buy the CD or record and rip them at 320kbpsVBR.

i agree, but a lot of kids out there who buy decks and live with 10 records for 5 years will just gert FS and pirite all thier shit, a lot of people will. of all the people who own deck, very few i would actually consider "DJs", hell i wouldn't even consider myself a dj scince i spend 10 time more time with production work and rarley get to hit the decks anymore. but some of my best memories were from vinyl expidition all across the city, blowing all my cash, pissing off the burnout cashier at an oldies LP store...i wish i could go back like 7 or 8 years :(

Like mr.brick said, you won't be able to find what you need on kazaa for a number of reasons. First, there's the quality issue: most people just hit the import button on their jukebox without messing with the quality. That means lots of 128kbps mp3s and not a lot of music good enough for this application. Second, it's not usually that easy to find what you're looking for online. Who knows, maybe itunes will be the vinyl store of tomorrow (today?).

another pro:

you can get "spinable" albums for cheap!! Go to your usual underground (er... independent) record shop and get them to order the CD versions of whole albums. When the early Tresor stuff was getting released- i wasnt into it.. but man oh man I got at least $1000 worth or vinyl on CD for $200!! now i got the first 50 tresor releases :P minus a few tunes....

Fuck the 4rth deck.. they need to go for at least 6 or 8! Imagine that!! Total support! This way your options are limitless. FS would fucking rock..

as another note if you wanna get FS cheap- track down the FS controll box and order 2 of the FS records. All you need now is Tracktor DJ studio and your set. Its not how I did it- but I have a buddy who did it this way.

i agree, but a lot of kids out there who buy decks and live with 10 records for 5 years will just gert FS and pirite all thier shit

I wouldnt worry too much about that tho.. FS costs alot of money and chances are that these kids wont pitch out the $1000 for FS.

to bitch along the same lines tho- kids who have a lap top and just use tracktor to "spin" sets piss me RIGHT off. Theres a few people who do that shit in the freeparty scene around here..

Originally posted by mr.brick

another pro:

you can get "spinable" albums for cheap!! Go to your usual underground (er... independent) record shop and get them to order the CD versions of whole albums. When the early Tresor stuff was getting released- i wasnt into it.. but man oh man I got at least $1000 worth or vinyl on CD for $200!! now i got the first 50 tresor releases :P minus a few tunes....

Fuck the 4rth deck.. they need to go for at least 6 or 8! Imagine that!! Total support! This way your options are limitless. FS would fucking rock..

as another note if you wanna get FS cheap- track down the FS controll box and order 2 of the FS records. All you need now is Tracktor DJ studio and your set. Its not how I did it- but I have a buddy who did it this way.

I wouldnt worry too much about that tho.. FS costs alot of money and chances are that these kids wont pitch out the $1000 for FS.

to bitch along the same lines tho- kids who have a lap top and just use tracktor to "spin" sets piss me RIGHT off. Theres a few people who do that shit in the freeparty scene around here..

you need a new name, its too close to mr. yuck

scott henry is actually a big fan of CDs

Kerri chandler uses PCDJ and this crazy ass futurisic comptuer backpack!

but these guys have set thier name in stone and know that vinyl is the dna of any real DJ, right next to alchohol and pussy.

8 or 9???? damn, thats a lot of decks, i've heard mix master mike rocks 12 sometimes, thats fucking insane. i stick to 3 usually, 4 for when im fucking around or battling.

i play the minimal house and techouse beats so i stick to 3. ive got my 3rd deck all modded up to spin backwards too.

its be crazy to just HAVE the option of 8 decks tho..

ive used 4 only once and it was at a gig- it was staring me down and tuanting me so i beat the bitch down intill i got exhausted after another hour and half of playing and started to fuck up a bit and went back to 3.

not only are they short sighted, but they are almost always 'purists' only because they're scared of change. because they feel they can't compete in the expanding market place.

there is a time and a place for everything and evolution insures the survival of nostalgia.

seeks/the saber tooth tiger became extinct because it's teeth grew too large(true story)

Originally posted by fixed

final scratch is crap.

hands down nothign could ever replace the feel or grain of real vinyl.

no question but then again im a purist i suppose....

Originally posted by heavyLox

its not a question of replacing, more augmenting whats already there.

sometimes pruists are short sighted

Originally posted by seeking

not only are they short sighted, but they are almost always 'purists' only because they're scared of change. because they feel they can't compete in the expanding market place.

there is a time and a place for everything and evolution insures the survival of nostalgia.

seeks/the saber tooth tiger became extinct because it's teeth grew too large(true story)

*closed*

just felt i had to reply to that statement clearly directed at me.

i am a purist because i truly believe that some computer program is never going to be able to take teh place of or even substitute for the real thing , call me afraid of change or whatever you like but mp3 crap cannot take the place of vinyl and the diamond tip my son.

Archived