Federal ban on assault weapons ended yesterday.

Poop Man Bob

I'll bet good money KaBar has had pointy pants ever since. Gross, but probably true.

Article.

Federal Ban on Assault Weapons Ends

CHICAGO - The decade-long U.S. ban on assault weapons expired Monday. The measure, signed by President Clinton, had outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons, banned certain features on firearms such as bayonet mounts, and limited ammunition magazines to 10 rounds. But gun sellers and manufacturers say they do not expect to see any immediate surge in orders for the weapons.

"The thought that people are lined up around the block or that guns are going to flood the streets, that's nonsense," said Mark Westrom, owner of firearms manufacturer ArmaLite Inc.

For one thing, the gun industry says, weapons very similar to those banned have been legally available over the past decade. Also, because of a grandfather clause in the 1994 law, assault weapons or ammunition clips that were manufactured before the ban took effect could still be legally sold over the past 10 years.

Gregory Tropino, president of G.A.T. Guns in Dundee, said his store has fielded several calls about the ban's end, but none from people clamoring for the new guns. Joe McBride, president of McBride's Guns in Austin, Texas, said he expects interest in the new ammunition magazines, but he has not noticed any increase in traffic at his store over news of the ban's end. McBride said some gun dealers also might be leery of stocking up too much on post-ban firearms.

"I think there's some wariness about what might be reinstated after the election," McBride said. A clause in the 1994 ban said it would expire unless Congress specifically reauthorized it. President Bush did not lobby the Republican-controlled Congress to renew the ban, and the deadline passed without a vote.

The expiration of the ban means firearms like TEC-9s can now be legally bought. But some of the 19 weapons — foreign-made guns like the Russian- or Chinese-made AK-47 and the Israeli-manufactured Uzi — are still banned under a 1989 law prohibiting imports of specific automatic weapons.

At ArmaLite, based in Geneseo, Westrom said it will take some time for the company to produce and ship rifles that contain features the act banned. Even so, he said, the rifles will appeal mainly to collectors, not the hunters and target shooters who account for a good portion of ArmaLite's business.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040913/capt.nyet25109131410.assault_weapons_nyet251.jpg'>

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040913/i/r14723300.jpg'>

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040913/i/r2799876352.jpg'>

C'mon, KaBar. Tell us why it's a great thing that TEC-9s can now legally be purchased by Joe and Jane Schmo.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what you guys arent realizing, is that the 'ban' was bullshit, composed to appease the media and the masses. you could still legally purchase any of those weapons from any gun dealer. i bought an AK and 30 round clips in '97, well after the ban took place. when it says

"The measure, signed by President Clinton, had outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons, banned certain features on firearms such as bayonet mounts, and limited ammunition magazines to 10 rounds"

all it really means is that it outlawed the import of 19 types of military style weapons, so those made (or even assembled) in america were still perfectly legal. bayonet mounts, folding stocks and pistol grips on rifles were still legal as long as 10 pieces of a rifle were produced in the united states. which means if you had a bulgarian made ak, imported before the ban, all you had to do was replace 10 parts, and all the 'banned' stuff was now legal. replace the sight, the sling, the butt plate, the 4 hand grips, the trigger and a spring, and you could now legally put a bayonette on it. the weapons were never illegal to have. clips larger than 10 rounds were never illegal to have. last month, you could still buy them on the internet for about 8 dollars a piece.

basically, the ban never did anything, and lifting the ban does just as little. it was a media ploy to begin with, and it's a media ploy now.

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!!! The "ban" was bullshit!

If someone wants to harm or kill you, they are going to do it! It doesn't matter if they have a fucking AK or a glock! You thinkg Mr. Terrorist is going to cancel his shooting spree because he couldn't get that AK-47 he wanted so bad at WalMart? NO! He'll get the shit off the streets or overseas.

If you're shaking in your boots that assault rifles are legal now you should go jump off an overpass.

Originally posted by omar

hahah welcome to america

holy shit this news blew my fuckin mind, ak's only have one specific purpouse, and thats killing other human beings. jesus christ.

Glocks and Rugers are legal too? Is that blowing your mind? GUNS ARE GUNS. THE SHOOT BULLETS. BULLETS KILL. And it really doesn't matter wheter the bullet came from a "banned: AK 47 or the 44 from the Sports Authority.

Originally posted by Pfffffffffft

seeking youre funny as hell, im glad i could get a good laugh on these threads...makes up for that drab class i just got out of..

so i guess a country music gun would be a shotgun?:confused:

sort of. i dont know much about country music, but i know that there are alot of anecdotal references to beer, cheating women, shotguns and dogs in country music, so i'd say that shotguns sound about right. i think more specifically, it should be a shotgun handed down from your father, but one you bought at walmart could work too.

Originally posted by seeking

it should be a shotgun handed down from your father, but one you bought at walmart could work too.

hahahahaha, a breech loadin one.

with some sort of gold plated stock w/pictues of famous civil war generals on it. one that you might have bought from the pages of an Field & Stream or Hand Gun in the midst of commemorative dishes.

http://www.carroll.k12.ia.us/adams/civilwar/civilpics/MVC-012F.JPG'>

"and that's how the south won the war kids."

:lol:

Originally posted by Hank Parker

Assault weapons are getting alot of bad talk these days, but really they're for hunting todays modern super-animal, such as the flying squirle , or the electric eel.

i saw that episode today

"Timmy, do you ever get lonely?"

"Yes"

"Well, if you squeeze me, I make bad people go away."

Originally posted by IMFINETHANKYOU

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!!! The "ban" was bullshit!

If someone wants to harm or kill you, they are going to do it! It doesn't matter if they have a fucking AK or a glock! You thinkg Mr. Terrorist is going to cancel his shooting spree because he couldn't get that AK-47 he wanted so bad at WalMart? NO! He'll get the shit off the streets or overseas.

If you're shaking in your boots that assault rifles are legal now you should go jump off an overpass.

i dont htink terrorists are the only ones that use aks, or will use aks in the states...check compton

Originally posted by dowmagik

i was under the impression that a non military/law enforcement individual could get a fully auto weapon as long as they had a class III license. the above article contradicts that...?

the above article is an incredible over simplification of things.

fully auto weapons are legal, as long as they were imported into the states before the ban on them (1986 i think, but i could be wrong). they are much more heavily regulated than semi-auto weapons, but they are not illegal to own (given that the weapons themselves are legal). weapons that were semi-auto, but were converted to fully, are always illegal.

i fucking hate gun arguments. i posted extensively on this in one of kabars threads.

everyone, on both sides of the debate, completely misses the point. either they're gun nuts, or anti-gun zealots, they never look at things from a sociological perspective. it's like people that think putting condom machines in high school bathrooms 'promotes' sex. no, you fucking retard, it doesnt. pull your head out of your ass. people shoot up school yards full of kids because they are seriously fucked in the head, not because they simply had a gun. someone that deranged will find a way to do whatever they set out to. gary ridgway killed 48 women in washington and never used a gun once.

honestly, im glad this bill was not renewed because it tears down the bullshit 'false sense of security' it gave and forces the issue to come up again. hopefully one of these days people will realize that social reform is the only thing thats going to stop murders, not outlawing guns.

The Republicans learned their lesson in '92

When George H.W. Bush signed that "assault weapons ban" he sealed his political fate. Just about everybody I know voted either for the Libertarian candidate or Perot, as a protest.

The assault weapons ban was bullshit from the very start. It was an effort by the anti-gun crowd to spoil the party. There is absolutely nothing any more dangerous about a so-called "assault rifle" than there is about any other semi-automatic rifle with a detachable box magazine. The ban on flash suppressors is bullshit, outside of a military environment, it's meaningless. The only reason most assault weapons owners want the banned features (flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, etc.) is purely cosmetic and style, because they look cool.

So far as I am aware, there have been no "drive-by bayonettings" so the ban on bayonet lugs is bullshit too.

The real target of the assault weapons ban was the militia groups. The militia guys want assault-style weapons for that military look, but any idiot can see from the war in Iraq that the weapon of choice would be car bombs and roadside "improvised explosive devices" set off by remote control. What are they going to do, ban cell phones? Ban pagers? Ban radio controlled airplane transmitters? Ban nitrate fertilizer and diesel fuel? Ban telephone wire and flashlight batteries? It's completely stupid.

There is absolutely no way to prevent criminals from wanting to do criminal acts. In Japan, where possession of guns and even swords is almost unknown, they still have tons of crime. The thugs use knives and American aluminum baseball bats to murder their victims.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE GUNS. THE PROBLEM IS THE THUGS.

The U.S. crime rate is way down, the lowest in thirty years. And why? Because we have locked up hundreds of thousands of idiots who cannot obey the law, and who think they can do whatever they please, regardless of what the law says. They have no respect for society, no reluctance to harm others, and virtually no inhibitions about robbing, raping, carjacking, taking narcotics and so on. These guys are a danger to the rest of us---they see themselves as predators and the rest of the world as prey. They belong in jail, and as long as they are in prison, they are not out on the street fucking with everybody else.

The only thing better than locking them up would be forcing them to do hard labor that would benefit society while they are locked up. But realistically, that's not going to happen. Basically, as bad as prison is, it's a big BABY-SITTING SERVICE for big babies who can't follow the rules of life.

Owning firearms, for those of us who obey they law, is 100% legal. Owning so-called "assault weapons" that meet the provisions of the law, is 100% legal. Owning fully-automatic machine guns, in states where the law permits it, and when all provisions of the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Law of 1968, is 100% legal. You must be an adult, and you must pay the Class III transfer tax ($200) and you must register the machinegun by completing all the ATFE forms, but owning a fully-automatic machinegun is completely legal.

Do you realize that the very people who are trying to pass all these restrictive gun laws have a large contingent of armed bodyguards, who are often armed with fully-automatic weapons? Diane Feinstein travels around with almost as many bodyguards as the President. Chuck Schumer too. Teddy Kernnedy's bodyguards once left a briefcase containing a fully loaded 9mm UZI machinegun IN THE SENATE CHAMBERS. Of course, they don't see any reason for the little people to need any firearms. Why should they? They have their own little private armies, who are armed MORE HEAVILY THAN THE POLICE.

If you guys don't want to own firearms, or assault weapons, that's your choice. It's a RIGHT guaranteed by the Constitution, like voting, or like having a free press, or like freedom of assembly or religion, or freedom from unreasonable searches, or self-incrimination.

Nobody can make you vote. But you cannot stop someone else from voting for whomever they please, even if their choice is one that you hate and despise. The same thing is true of owning firearms. I have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and I intend to exercise it. If you choose not to do so, that is totally your business.

I am not free to do whatever I please with my firearm, of course. I cannot unlawfully shoot people, or animals, or property, or anything else. I may only use my firearm within the confines of the law. I am 100% within my rights to defend my life, and my property, and the lives and property of others, however. I may use my firearm to defend my life, and the State. SPORT DOES NOT ENTER INTO IT. The Second Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or target shooting, or skeet. There IS no right to sport shooting. The right to keep and bear arms is about counterbalancing the power of a standing army, and defending the nation against invasion, rebellion and insurrection. It's in the Constitution, read it for yourself.

The main reason I favor assault rifles is that they place a power in the hands of the People that is very nearly equal to that placed in the hands of the State. There will be no tyranny here, ever.